“great customer service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakton, Virginia
“great customer service”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

A bed and breakfast kind of feel in a chain hotel. Nice, clean room and very friendly, responsive service. The staff was genuinely kind and helpful. I ended up ordering from the "room service" (pickup) menu twice and it was excellent. The fitness center is small, but the four machines (ergo cycle, elliptical, and two treadmills) are high quality. I was thinking that I would be finding a local gym to get a sufficient workout, but I was pleased to find dumbbells from 5-50 lbs (not pictured on the website for some reason) and an adjustable bench. Overall, this is a great option if you don't need a big, posh kind of hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was not familiar with the fact that the "Hyatt Place" chain is a budget offering from Hyatt. Initially I was disappointed by its somewhat spartan appearance. However, our room was adequate and clean, and even had a small sectional couch which was fun for the kids. Sink is located outside of bathroom in the main bedroom, so the bathroom area was small for four to share. Breakfast was typical free breakfast of a chain -- dry bagels, horridly plastic little circular eggs, canned fruit, but decent oatmeal with toppings and good coffee. Small pool with no jacuzzi. Small workout room with just two treadmills and an elliptical. Free computers with Internet downstairs.

The location of this hotel is perfect for sightseeing Madison. However, if you're looking for something a little nicer (and a little pricier) go to the Hilton, which is also perfectly located.

Their "restaurant" is simply a bunch of frozen things that the desk clerks put into a convection oven. Don't think about getting room service here as your primary meal!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Room and property were very clean and modern. Stayed in two queen bed suite with two daughters and wife. Great use of space we didn't feel cramped at all. Front desk staff was great. Only gave 4 vs 5 because cleaning staff spoke barely any English came to room at 9 am Sunday and wanted us to check out. I don't care of they speak English or not, and the rooms were clean (most important thing), but if they don't know to come back later when I am standing in my PJ's at 9 am while answering the door, they need some customer service training. While the cleaning person was nice they were clearly confused and a discussion was not possible they just stood there looking at me. I called front desk they handled well. Also they quit serving Sunday brunch at 10 am 11 would be nicer. That being said I Would stay again gladly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DVerl
Germany
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great little place in downtown Madison and close to an abundance of things in the city.

The room was spacious and accommodating but the lights in the bathroom took a very long time to "warm" up and had to turn on and wait about fifteen minutes for the brightness to be where it should be (otherwise its pitch darkness).

Be sure to pack up your things before you leave and TRIPLE check everything.
The housekeeping is HORRIBLE.

I managed to somehow leave my man's "fancy" razor in the shower (and it was the only thing in there and you'd really be a dunce if you missed a black handle looking thing in a beige shower stall!).

I called the hotel immediately the same day I checked out and notified them of my lost object and that consisted of leaving a message for housekeeping.

Some things about the Housekeeping:
1.) They NEVER call you back---I called FIVE times to see why they hadn't called me back and if they found my item. When they do call back, it happens when you're not around and turns into a game of phone tag followed by another few days of waiting for them to call back AGAIN.

2.) One occasion when I called I was put on hold and the manager came on and was apologetic but that never got anything solved as I still had no answer about whether they have or they don't have my lost item.

3.) Why do they have an answering machine in housekeeping in the first place when they can't follow up in the first place!

It's been over a MONTH and they called me to ask me for more details about my lost item---once again I ended up leaving a message, called back and spoke with the lobby staff and I'm STILL waiting for a call back to see if they found the item or not. I'm assuming they did since they're asking for more details! How difficult is it to recognize a razor handle!!!!

Overall the lobby staff are very nice.

If the hotel Manager is reading this....I want some answers and a call back in relatively quick turnaround to an issue! Simple advise; if you run your hotel and treat your customers like it's a five-start resort, I guarantee that you'll have more pleasant guests who are willing to forgive bad housekeeping habits like not finding a very recognizable item!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank njnow02
Mark N, General Manager at Hyatt Place Madison, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Please contact me at the hotel so we can resolve this. The phone number is 608-257-2700.

Thank you.
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have been travelling to Madison WI for decades. I normally stay at other central downtown hotel locations on my visit, but those hotels were sold out this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with the room ammenities and hotel ambience at Hyatt Place Madison! Great hotel! Centrally located downtown and near campus (though there are other hotels that are closer to campus). The Hyatt Place Madison offers shuttle services. I will definitely consider this hotel as one of my future hotel options for downtown Madison!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I picked this hotel for its location. Overnight stay in October 2013. Selected a junior suite even though it seemed pricey. Very disappointed with room quality. Dated, no microwave and the small fridge did not quite close properly, the free coffee provided in the room was of poor quality. The location was not quite as ideal as I thought it was going to be. It was still quite a walk to restaurants on a cold night. Pool was tiny, more like a decorative pond. Breakfast buffet was the only nice surprise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rita C
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I am always impressed by Hyatt Place when I've stayed in other locations and it was no different for our stay in Madison. Although my husband did all of the checking in and business with the front desk (he had no complaints), I enjoyed the modern set-up of our king bed room, shower that felt amazing, and free breakfast that was a unique spread with many different options. I wished we could have stayed all weekend instead of just one night. Even though it was freezing, the walk from the capitol square is not bad. We booked during Madison's new "Hotel Week" so we got a pretty good deal, it was nice that the hotel participated.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple