“Modern comfort and great value”

Hyatt Place Madison
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great first experience in a Hyatt Place hotel. Warmly greeted by two friendly people at check-in. The combination of a friendly greeting in an urban, hip hotel is always a nice surprise. The hotel is full of welcome surprises. There was the very modern yet comfortabled seating area. The large and very new TV. The modest bathroom that suddenly reveals a huge and luxurious shower.

We were lucky to get a corner room. Lots of windows that looked out over Madison and no room divider. The seating area and bed were just steps apart. Very cozy but not cramped at all.

The free breakfast was great, including gourmet coffee and hot items. The only downside is the $10 parking. I have spent over $50 a night to park in Chicago so I know $10 is not a lot, but still, this is Madison, WI. They should just raise the rates 5 bucks on all rooms and it would still be a bargain for even the non-driving guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the third Hyatt Place we've stayed in and they are always consistently good. The only issue I had with this one was that you have to pay for parking. Otherwise, it was clean, for as busy as it probably is during the school year. I love that there are two QUEEN beds in the rooms (vs. fulls). I love the styling of these hotels. The only other issue would be, while they have indeed improved breakfast it only runs until 9:00 am. And on the weekends I believe it was 10:00 (which is fine). Other than that, it's blocks from the Capitol building and walking distance to pretty much most of campus and State Street.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Really pleased with my most recent stay at Hyatt Place in Madison, WI for a conference held at the convention center a few blocks away. This was the designated overflow hotel and I have to say the customer service was excellent. My room as not ready when I arrived around midday, but I needed to get freshened up after my 4 am start to the travel day for a board meeting at 1:30 pm - they tracked down housekeeping and got me into a room within minutes.

When I emerged they were on hand to shuttle me over to the convention centre making sure I arrived in time!

The breakfast was better than I had anticipated but more importantly they brew Starbucks and have nice BIG travelling cups!

The room was very roomy, comfortable and the compimentary internet was 100%... always a concern when it is comp'd.

I did find the bathroom quite small and had no tub. All the other elements of the room met my expectation and the location was extremely quiet. I did not hear a single internal or external sound while sleeping.

The staff, although a little more casual than I am used to in a business hotel, aqll had a 'can-do' attitude that I appreciate and reward given the opportunity!

First time stay was quite a suprise and I would definitely consider a Hyatt Place hotel in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in July with friends and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff was VERY helpful. The hotel is right downtown and you can walk to dozens of restaurants, shops and bars. The downtown area was also very clean and accommodating. The only minor drawback to our stay was the fact that we had to pay extra to park at the hotel in addition to the cost of the room. The complimentary breakfast was very good and they added a really nice touch by serving "egg-McMuffin" like sandwiches, however they could use a little more seating. The pool and exercise area was well maintained and very adequate. The rooms themselves were large, nicely decorated with a walk-in shower and large comfortable bed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Madison Wi. area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Randy G
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Very clean! Desk people are very friendly. Centrally located. Hard to beat!

Near to running areas and the area is safe. I would defintely stay again. There are plenty of places nearby to eat. The breakfast is complimentary as is the wi-fi.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank YearoftheRabbit
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The room was very nice and spacious(view of the lake), Good breakfast. Convenient location.Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Nice decor, comfortable rooms, spacious and well suited to families. All areas were very clean (with exception of elevator to parking). The extra cost for parking was annoying, but understandable given the downtown location.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the lake
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I contacted the hotel early the morning I was supposed to be checking in. I said that I knew that a room wouldn't be available at that time for me to check in, but I was in Madison and asked if they could call me when they had a room available (since other hotels have done this for me in the past). The desk clerk said that it would just be easier if I kept calling back throughout the day, which was something I didn't want to do. Still, about two hours later they had a room ready, which was much earlier than check in time, so I was very appreciative.
The room was quiet beautiful. I loved the big shower, corner sofa, and many technology hookups. The bed was very comfortable as well. As with previous comments, I was irritated that I had to pay additional money for parking when I was already paying a large sum of money for the room. If I had thought about it, some of the days I stayed at the hotel were a holiday and a Sunday. Parking meters and street parking are not monitored those days in Madison, and I would have rather parked a few blocks away than give the hotel even more money. The parking garage serves a few other businesses in addition to the hotel.
The breakfast was free and pretty tasty. Although their freshly made items (such as egg sandwiches) were quite good, I tend to think that breakfast from any Hampton hotel is better.
Also, the hotel has a pool (which is easily accessible) but not a hot tub.

I booked my reservation online. In the "Comments" section of the reservation I mentioned that I was getting married in Madison that weekend. Now, I know that doesn't mean that I deserve some freebies, but I was definitely expecting something. When I stayed at another Madison hotel, I was given a free drink voucher just because I was there planning my wedding. One night I stopped at the main desk to get a business card so that I could use their free shuttle later (to the airport or within two miles of the hotel) and add a guest name to my hotel room. I was greeted with an incredibly unnatural sounding "How may I assist you?" (they have large signs behind the desk and bar reminding the staff to use this kind of language. After being helped, the front desk agent made a comment about my ring. I mentioned that I was actually getting married the next day and that was why I was in Madison. The staff asked plenty of questions about my event, and it was a sincere conversation from them (compared to the fake greeting earlier). Even with that, no freebie, no drinks, no card, nothing all weekend. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything because I wouldn't have been so disappointed.

On the day I was going to check out, there were no luggage carts in the lobby. I really didn't want to carry everything down to the parking lot because I had wedding gifts in addition to my regular luggage. Instead of asking the desk right away, I walked the stairs from the top of the building back down to the lobby, peaking my head out into the hallway on each floor. I figured that would be my best bet finding a cart, since that was probably what their bell staff would have done. After no luck, I figured I would ask the front desk agent if they had any, since maybe they had a storage room with a few extras. They didn't have any, and they asked another staff member to walk the floors and look. I mentioned that I had already done that, so I was just going to go back to my room. A way that this could have been taken care of my the staff was for them to say "We can bring one up to your room once we find one" or even to have an available staff member offer their assistance with my luggage. Instead, my husband and I made 5 trips to get everything down to the parking lot.

As a fairly new hotel (built within the last two years, I think), the rooms and building itself are great. Since they don't have a huge reputation in Madison yet, they need to have absurdly awesome service in order to gain a loyal customer base since many of the nearby hotels are great when it comes to customer service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple