“Great Hotel Great Location”

Hyatt Place Madison
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Port Byron, Illinois
“Great Hotel Great Location”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in July with friends and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff was VERY helpful. The hotel is right downtown and you can walk to dozens of restaurants, shops and bars. The downtown area was also very clean and accommodating. The only minor drawback to our stay was the fact that we had to pay extra to park at the hotel in addition to the cost of the room. The complimentary breakfast was very good and they added a really nice touch by serving "egg-McMuffin" like sandwiches, however they could use a little more seating. The pool and exercise area was well maintained and very adequate. The rooms themselves were large, nicely decorated with a walk-in shower and large comfortable bed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Madison Wi. area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Randy G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Very clean! Desk people are very friendly. Centrally located. Hard to beat!

Near to running areas and the area is safe. I would defintely stay again. There are plenty of places nearby to eat. The breakfast is complimentary as is the wi-fi.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank YearoftheRabbit
Powell, Ohio
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The room was very nice and spacious(view of the lake), Good breakfast. Convenient location.Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Nice decor, comfortable rooms, spacious and well suited to families. All areas were very clean (with exception of elevator to parking). The extra cost for parking was annoying, but understandable given the downtown location.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the lake
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I contacted the hotel early the morning I was supposed to be checking in. I said that I knew that a room wouldn't be available at that time for me to check in, but I was in Madison and asked if they could call me when they had a room available (since other hotels have done this for me in the past). The desk clerk said that it would just be easier if I kept calling back throughout the day, which was something I didn't want to do. Still, about two hours later they had a room ready, which was much earlier than check in time, so I was very appreciative.
The room was quiet beautiful. I loved the big shower, corner sofa, and many technology hookups. The bed was very comfortable as well. As with previous comments, I was irritated that I had to pay additional money for parking when I was already paying a large sum of money for the room. If I had thought about it, some of the days I stayed at the hotel were a holiday and a Sunday. Parking meters and street parking are not monitored those days in Madison, and I would have rather parked a few blocks away than give the hotel even more money. The parking garage serves a few other businesses in addition to the hotel.
The breakfast was free and pretty tasty. Although their freshly made items (such as egg sandwiches) were quite good, I tend to think that breakfast from any Hampton hotel is better.
Also, the hotel has a pool (which is easily accessible) but not a hot tub.

I booked my reservation online. In the "Comments" section of the reservation I mentioned that I was getting married in Madison that weekend. Now, I know that doesn't mean that I deserve some freebies, but I was definitely expecting something. When I stayed at another Madison hotel, I was given a free drink voucher just because I was there planning my wedding. One night I stopped at the main desk to get a business card so that I could use their free shuttle later (to the airport or within two miles of the hotel) and add a guest name to my hotel room. I was greeted with an incredibly unnatural sounding "How may I assist you?" (they have large signs behind the desk and bar reminding the staff to use this kind of language. After being helped, the front desk agent made a comment about my ring. I mentioned that I was actually getting married the next day and that was why I was in Madison. The staff asked plenty of questions about my event, and it was a sincere conversation from them (compared to the fake greeting earlier). Even with that, no freebie, no drinks, no card, nothing all weekend. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything because I wouldn't have been so disappointed.

On the day I was going to check out, there were no luggage carts in the lobby. I really didn't want to carry everything down to the parking lot because I had wedding gifts in addition to my regular luggage. Instead of asking the desk right away, I walked the stairs from the top of the building back down to the lobby, peaking my head out into the hallway on each floor. I figured that would be my best bet finding a cart, since that was probably what their bell staff would have done. After no luck, I figured I would ask the front desk agent if they had any, since maybe they had a storage room with a few extras. They didn't have any, and they asked another staff member to walk the floors and look. I mentioned that I had already done that, so I was just going to go back to my room. A way that this could have been taken care of my the staff was for them to say "We can bring one up to your room once we find one" or even to have an available staff member offer their assistance with my luggage. Instead, my husband and I made 5 trips to get everything down to the parking lot.

As a fairly new hotel (built within the last two years, I think), the rooms and building itself are great. Since they don't have a huge reputation in Madison yet, they need to have absurdly awesome service in order to gain a loyal customer base since many of the nearby hotels are great when it comes to customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle W
Wisconsin
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Everything from check-in to check out was great. Place is newly built, and very stylish. Extremely clean throughout. The technology hook-ups in the room is likely the best I have seen. Perfect downtown location, but paying an extra $10.55 for parking per day annoyed me. For $200 a night you can't get parking included? Really? But the free breakfast was very good. I give this place an A.

Room Tip: Park on C or D level for the shortest walk to the lobby and pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Midwest
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt Place Downtown in Madison, WI while accompanying my husband on a business trip. Very attractive rooms, nicely furnished and comfortable. Lots of conveniently placed outlets for all our gadgets. We had a corner room so there were windows on two sides. The space between the corner of the bed and the half-wall the tv sits on was only about 12" - 14" wide. Difficult to maneuver through; could be a problem for a larger person. HUGE shower, but only one tiny little corner shelf to hold all the shower essentials. The fluorescent lighting in the vanity area was inadequate.
Staff was very friendly, accommodating and pleasant.
The free "a.m. skillet" was outstanding! Fresh, interesting, delicious hot breakfast sandwiches in addition to hot and cold cereal, fresh fruit, bagels, toast and pastries. Convenient dining options from the Guest Kitchen, Bakery Cafe and Grab 'N Go.
The hotel is just down the street from the capital and close to the popular State street shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GracieMidwest
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My daughter and I were in Madison for a college visit. My day starts early, so when I pulled in to the Hyatt Place in Madison, I was on hour 18 of a very busy day. Jessica at the front desk made us feel special and welcomed in about thirty seconds. She has a smile that can light up a room. She signed us in, gave us a dinner recommendation, the low down on all the fun stuff to do so we were ready to relax in no time.
This is a beautiful little hotel where the staff appears to genuinely enjoy their jobs and their guests. People hang out in the lobby just to visit. When they have a glass of wine at the informal little bar, they chat with each other, and the staff -- who might be checking you in, making you a sandwich, helping with your luggage or driving the shuttle. They do it all, which means they understand all the workings of the hotel, and they understand their guests. I can't emphasize enough how different this is from the way a "normal" hotel is run.. where one person may check you in... and you never see them again.
The Hyatt Place has a shuttle that runs you right to campus, so for campus visits, it's great. The hotel is less than a mile from campus.. so an easy walk. It's also in the shadow of the state capitol, and a few blocks off State Street. So -- quiet, yet close to everything. The person who drove our shuttle, Matt, also helped us a few times at the desk with directions, offered to come get us from campus if we wanted, and was even there helping to make the amazing free breakfast they serve every day. (Hot items, fresh fruit, usual cereals, danishes, etc. A really great spread.)
Both Jessica and Matt answered our questions about UW Madison (both were or are students) and also numerous questions about Madison.
The room was terrific. Clean... comfy bed, nice view... nice finishes so it felt upscale, but not stuffy. Huge sitting area -- nice TV. A good value. Parking was $10 a night-- given parking is limited in Madison, I was happy to pay it.
A great hotel. Compliments to the management who clearly sees the value of keeping staff happy and engaged so they can make their guests feel wonderful. You can have the most beautiful hotel in the world, but if the staff isn't friendly and competent, none of the other stuff matters. Hyatt Place Madison got it right. Would love to return!

Room Tip: Try to get a high room. There is a high rise on the side that faces the capitol.. so don't expe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family