“Food ROCKS, cupcake frosting problematic”

Daisy Cafe and Cupcakery
Ranked #7 of 28 Dessert in Madison
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Madison, WI
“Food ROCKS, cupcake frosting problematic”
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I would definitely return here for the quality of the dinner entrees. I had a rockstar burger with cheese curds and bacon (snort!) that was the Platonic ideal of a burger. My pal had a divine cassoulet with duck, bacon and smoked sausage. Another pal had a very good southwestern meatloaf with adorable cupcake-like presentation, and my normally graze-only sister in law inhaled her paprika pork stew. The dinner menu is creative comfort food with a variety of different ethnic influences, great service by Ryan, our friendly advisor. Cupcake flavors were creative and fun, but . . . the frosting, alas, seems to include Crisco rather than butter. I'm sure it makes it easier to work with from a decorative perspective, but it is a grave, grave, error if striving for cupcake nirvana. Give me buttercreme or give me no dessert! I would, however, return for the entrees, which were great.

1 Thank Marge246

Madison, Wisconsin
“Stick with the food-avoid the cupcakes”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

we'd heard so much about this restaurant and were really anticipating trying their food and cupcakes. We had lunch there and both ordered the chicken, chutney and chevre sandwich. The sandwich was great. We also ordered the orzo-veggie-havarti salad, which was also wonderful. So far so good. Before leaving, we decided to buy 6 of their cupcakes to take home and try out. We picked 6 different flavors. All 6 flavors were such a disappointment. The frosting is terrible. My brother actually had to spit it out. The cake is dry and the flavor simple. To be honest, I could make better cupcakes. I was expecting so much more. Next time, I will stick with Bloom Bakeshop in Middleton. Their cupcakes are out of this world, with a truly gourmet taste.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Not what I had hoped for...”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

After craving something sweet, I thought to give Daisy's a try. I've heard the name being mentioned with good praise by several people, I've also seen their ads in the newspaper. We were at Olbrich garden, so we decided to stop by there - which is only a few blocks away.

The parking lot is small, but I think they get most of their business by foot. There was an immediate line at the door, which I had hoped would give a good indicator on their food. I ordered the Strawberry Champagne and Carmel cupcake, my husband, the Raspberry. Total of 3 cupcakes, the cashier rang up our orders at $7.50. That's $2.50 per cupcake. It's size is equal to that of a single slot of a cupcake baking pan - not too small, but not big enough for $2.50 a pop.

No matter, I wanted to remain optimistic. We parked at Olbrich park and ate in the car. The whipped topping is almost tasteless, like meringue texture without the flavor. The cake itself was very moist, but the taste was nothing fantastic.

Just a warning. I brought the Strawberry cupcake home to have for later. I brought it out of the fridge maybe 4 hours later, and it was rock hard. The topping had the same consistency of stick butter, and the cake was as if I were eating a loaf of bread that had sat out for too long.

All in all, I wish I had only purchased 1 cupcake. It's something that I recommend that you have to try at least once when your a Madisonian. However, I am unlikely to return.

1 Thank BoxerMom07
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I didn't have any of the Daisy's entrees, but their $2.50 Vanilla cupcake was one of the worst I've had in years...”
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I didn't have any of the Daisy's entrees, but their $2.50 Vanilla cupcake was one of the worst I've had in years. Dense, overbeaten cake batter with little vanilla taste, topped by butter-cream frosting that tastes way more it's best friends with Crisco than has any kind of passing acquaintance with real butter.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“The cupcakery-ist”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Love the cupcakes.I've bought many for different parties and everyone loves them.Light and delicious. Have tried many different flavors. Blueberry/chocolate is my hubby's fav.
The strata is very filling and the one that is spiciest has chorizo sausage and pepper and another hubby fav. I love the fresh fruit that comes with the strata. Very contemporary interior and roomy. Service is excellent.