“Worth a second chance”

Dining options: Reservations
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Worth a second chance”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I grew up in New Orleans, and had great hope for this restaurant (Leidenheimer french bread...more later). The dacor is great, maybe a little dark. Nice bar, oysters on ice, wrought iron, etc.

I had a Bloody Mary....pretty good...everybody does it different. My wife and I split a dozen oysters on the half shell. There were 3 choices...very nice....we chose a dozen Blue Points, and they were fresh and very good. A real positive.

I ordered the shrimp po'boy, and my wife the oyster po'boy, but "dressed"....shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle. We were offered a couple of different condiments...mayo, roumelade sauce, hot sauce etc. Also nice. The shrimp and oysters were fried satisfactorily, and there were plenty of them.

If the Leidenheimer bread had been acceptable, the sandwiches would have been great....but. Leidenheimer is a bakery in N.O. The Bayou's going to the trouble to import genuine Leidenheimer bread is great...but the actuality was anything but. Leidenheimer's french bread is unique.....very crunchy, crumbly crust, with a soft insides. I had never seen anything like it anywhere...even in France. The Bayou even gives the bread a paragraph of its on on the menu. To quote, the bread is a "perfect balance of crisp, flaky exterior and warm soft center". Leidenheimer's is notorious for getting stale quickly, and I am guessing that the cook was faced with stale bread, so he steamed it (or something) to make it soft. In doing so the crust became soft and soggy, not "crisp and flaky". A real shame. All in all kind of a C- for the sandwiches.

The lunch came with a "side" and we took the cup of seafood gumbo. It was pretty good, think, a good amount of shrimp. I'll give it a B.

So, all in all probably a C+ or B-. If the bread had been crunchy, who knows??

1 Thank Gatorgolfer