“Awesome, awesome Thai & Vietnamese food!”
Review of Ha Long Bay

Ha Long Bay
Ranked #41 of 1,004 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were only in Madison for one night, but had been looking online for a good Thai restaurant and came across this one. We could not have picked a better place! The restaurant itself it's nice, nothing spectacular, but the food is amazing. I had the pad see ew, which is my favorite if made authentically (I normally find it bland and flavorless at other restaurants) and it was made perfectly. My husband had the green curry and also thought it was awesome (though he actually like mine better!). The only thing bad about the whole experience was that our hotel didn't have a fridge so we couldn't take our left overs with us. If you're in Madison, this is definitely one to check out!

There are newer reviews for Ha Long Bay

Reviewed July 10, 2013

When we were asked to go to this restaurant, it was introduced as a Thai restaurant. Then we looked at the menu. Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian and probably more that I can't put my finger on. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to order one of my favorites, a Vietnamese vermicelli noodle dish that was light and cool--perfect for a very hot day--instead of what I thought would be on the menu. I introduced a similar dish to our friend and she raved, my son had Thai Pad See Yew and loved it, and my husband had a Laotian dish I can only describe as a "hash" made with crispy rice and sausage among others which he enjoyed as well.

Overall, I have to admit that I've had better versions of the food, but I still enjoyed myself quite a bit. The differences were minor, for example, the egg rolls were dense and lacked the typical flakey outer wrap I've found elsewhere with Vietnamese egg roll. But it didn't matter. It was the exact thing I wanted to eat that night and I didn't even know it!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Enjoyed dinner for four last night with assortment of dishes. Spring rolls were very fresh and tasty. I had a Vietnamese seafood combo dish with curry at medium heat, and it was excellent. Acceptable wine list, and my wife really liked the Thai beer. I've had lunch here, as well, and it was very good, too. Prices are very, very fair.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'm very fond of Thai cuisine and am accustomed to spicy food so this place did not please me as much as it would if neither of those statements were true. But they had very good Vietnamese food. We were there on a Sunday evening and the place was packed. We had to wait maybe twenty minutes for a table. The menu was large (8 pgs) and in three Asian languages with very minimal English descriptions. The restaurant was too noisy and far too busy to be able to ask any questions of the staff and it was at least another fifteen minutes before we got any service. We chose to split a coconut soup. I ordered a Thai dish and my husband ordered a Vietnamese dish and we both asked for "Thai spicy" (there were milder options). The soup was good but the two entrees, despite different principle ingredients, tasted pretty much the same, both very good but not at all spicy by our standards. $56. The staff was working hard but overwhelmed. The noise was unpleasant. All the smart customers were lined up for take-out.

1  Thank VN F
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I cannot say enough great things about this place. You cannot go wrong with anything on the menu, but if you do come, you MUST and I mean MUST order the Panang Curry. You will never forget it! They have a large selection of all kinds of Asian food, noodle soups, meat dishes, etc.., so there's something for everyone.They also serve Ginger beer that is actual beer. It's another must-have.

I've lived all over and this is by far one of the absolutely best Southeast Asian restaurants you will ever eat at. Since I moved to Madison, I come here about once every 2 weeks. Once you come, you'll see why.

It's also an incredible value. Who knew such fresh, delicious food could be so inexpensive? You can literally have an entire meal for around 8 bucks! They have great lunch specials as well.

The staff is attentive, fast, friendly and very polite...a rare thing these days.

Do not miss this place. You'll be missing out!

Been to Ha Long Bay? Share your experiences!