“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Phoenix
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I have not had good experience with Choice Hotel properties, so when my employer booked me here, I really wasn't looking forward to it. I arrived and really enjoyed the hotel, as it did have the look and feel of a hotel that charges a bit more. The breakfast had a different hot entree each day, which was nice. They also had a happy hour with hot food in the evenings which was also a nice touch. The look was nice, and everyone there was very helpful and friendly. I did think this was a good value for the money.

The one thing that I found I didn't like was the fitness center. It is a few macines in a very small room, with horrible ventilation. I showed up and one other person was in the room excersing. We had the fan on in the room, but it was still incredibly hot and stuffy. They need to vent the air to the neighboring pool area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
gmreviews, Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised !
It sounds like you enjoyed our Breakfast and Evening Happy hour. We strive to make people feel at home. I thank-you for making your remarks on Tripadvisor! I do want to mention to you that we are working on the ventilation system for our Fitness center. We just recieved some new equipment last week so I think it would benefit all to get this room to cool better. I will keep you posted on this ! Again that for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and We hope to see you again soon !

Amy Miniya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Naples
Reviewed May 24, 2009

After reading reviews and descriptive info on the hotel website, I was looking forward to my 3 day stay. Firstly, the 'good'.....wifi internet service...fine breakfast...clean room and clean bathroom. Now, the 'not-so-good"......upon arrival, the desk clerk seemed to have 'a bit ot an attitude'.....something that I find to be rare in my other Madison hotel stays. The couple checking in ahead of me had two small children...and of course, I was assigned a room next to theirs. By the time I arrived at the assigned room, the kids were squalling 'big time'....also the room windows would not open. I returned to the loby to request a move, which I was given. The second room was an improvment, and the windows DID open. A small point....I was not offered a free cocktal coupon for the M-S Manager's reception....so I visited other nearby cocktail lounges. More 'not so good'...upon arrival, the first smell was one of ...'musty'.....the place has dark wood, dark wall paper....dark everything.....rather depressing. Ancient television sets with some major network connections poor to say the least. The 'walls are very, very thin'...and if someone is in the room above you, you could be in for lots of noise. The bathroom fans roar line a 757.....and the plumbing roars. In the room, you have a seating choice of a straight back chair (oh, my aching back) or a sofa.....no comfortable chair. Before 10 a.m. i find a note under my door telling me that housekeeping has honored my do not disturb sign, and if I need service to call the front desk before 11 a.m.......sorry, I'm on vacation and won't work around the housekeeping staff schedule......all in all......next Madison visit, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
I sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with our Hotel. I have address the "not so good" with our Staff, from the attiude you experienced at check in to the missed Happy Hour drink pass, to the noisy bathroom fan. I have let housekeeping know to place the notes for DND sign a little later, as we don't want to offend our customers but want to make sure to have contact with people who do want their room cleaned and may have forgotten their sign. I'm sorry about your aching back.... We have changed about 1/3 of our rooms to desks with ergomic chairs. We have about 2/3 yet to go. Again thank you letting us know about the good and not so good. We strive to make things right for our customers and if you could please forward me your contact information I would be glad to talk to you about your stay further. Thanks again for adding your comments to Tripadvisor !

Westfield, MA
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Hotel is small compared to the Marriott nearby, but it seemed like everyone was staying here. Great room rates at this place.
Free parking and plenty of it.
Lobby was very nice. Not large but with two small sitting areas with tvs and a public computer.
Check in no problem, got my free drink voucher and visited the lounge, which is the breakfast area converted for happy hour. Comfortable enough, couple of tvs, decent atmosphere, free popcorn and happy hours eats.
First floor double bed room was more than adequate. Bed was very comfortable. Would have preferred a flat panel tv (spoiled), but no big deal. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels. One minor room issue was dealt with promptly.
Free high speed wireless internet buzzed along.
Continental breakfast suited my needs. Denny's and McDonalds are a block or two away. Several other restaurants are not much further, including Cheeseburger in Paradise, TGI Fridays, a couple of Mexican grills and a great Irish place.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
gmreviews, General Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, May 4, 2009
Thanks for your review! We are a little smaller then most of the hotels in this area. We have 95 suites in our Hotel. Being on a smaller scale we really try to make you feel at home. Yet also understand that you are our guest ...so we try to address those "issues" as quickly as possible. I hope you felt this way ! I'm glad you enjoyed our many "Comforts". We are working to try to"spoil" our guests more.... so flat screen TV's for our rooms will be up and coming in our future ! Like you said we are close to many restaurants located at Greenway Station which makes it handy since it is walking distance to our hotel. Thanks for staying with us we hope to see you again soon !
erikedge2
Reviewed April 21, 2009

The hotel was as about as perfect as you could get... They let us check in early and
stay late. The breakfast was pretty basic (hard-boiled eggs, waffles, ham, etc.) They also have a cocktail reception from 5:30-7:30 (two free drinks).. prices were not bad after the two free ones.. Our room had two doubles and a pull out sleeper sofa. Still had plenty of room to move around with three beds.. The pool had a nice temperature and the hot tub was not too hot.. Very large pool area and was kept very clean..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
gmreviews, General Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, April 23, 2009
Thanks for staying at our hotel ! We certainly like to hear from our customers and are glad you enjoyed your stay and amenites that we have to offer. Thanks for letting us know ! We hope to see you again soon !

Wisconsin
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We stayed here on a weekend getaway while visiting the zoo, family, cave of the mounds, and house on the rock.

The hotel was comfortable and had a very large pool. The rooms were nice and they also had a nice breakfast in the morning. They were late on setting the breakfast up which made our morning start later than expected. They also had a managers hour where there was free beer, wine, and soda. There was supposed to be popcorn but nobody made it (would have been nice for the kids).

We found a coupon for $89 a night otherwise it was $124 a night which I think would be steep for the hotel.

Another hotel that you have to actually check out so you can get the safe fee reversed. It's only a dollar or two but I don't like to be charged for things I do not use.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
gmreviews, Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, April 22, 2009
I wanted to Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We love to hear feedback from our guests. You make us better by letting us know what we are doing right and what we need to correct. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon !
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I arrived at 11pm on a cold March night and I have to say that my room temperature would not increase. The lady from behind the counter came up stairs to try to fix it. She stayed and helped me moved to another room. She carried my bags and bend over backwards to show me that she cared I was cold.

I'm going back next year and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
gmreviews, Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
Thank-you for your comments regarding your stay. We appreciate and value our customers and I wanted to Thank-you for sharing your experience with us! See you next year !
chicago, il
Reviewed December 31, 2008

First of all, when I called to make a reservation, it was very obvious that the employees do not individualize the phone calls because it almost sounded like a scripted sales call. Also on the phone, I informed the lady that I was coming for business and she went on to tell me how the hotels' location was convenient for shopping and how they had an indoor pool/whirpool.
After arriving to the hotel, I stood at the front desk for a while waiting for someone to finally get me checked in. I'm not absolutely sure, however, the employee seemed to be a manager or assistant manager but in my opinion did not act as such. She seemed to rush through her "spiel" about the hotel & ammentities. I did not feel fully welcome. When attempting to call down to the front desk a couple times from my room, the phone rang about 15 times before someone answered the phone.
Even though it was not a weekend night, the hallways were loud with kids running around. They did have a decent happy hour and the breakfast in the morning had a few hot choices, however, not very tasty.
I did stay in a 2-level room that was very spacious & clean. Also, the rest of the hotel looked to be quite clean, although I did never look into the pool/whirpool area. Overall, I did not have a pleasant experience at this location. I suggest re-training the staff (especially if the woman who checked me in was a manager, pretty ridiculous).

• Liked — 2-level Room
  • Disliked — Staff & their service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WiscoComfortSuites, gm at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, January 2, 2009
I wanted to say Thank-you for letting us know about your experience. We certainly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay, With your comments we learn how we can become better for our customers. I will revisit with our staff about customer service & creating the best guest experience, again I apologize that this didn't happen with your stay. Thanks again for bring this to our attention.

Comfort Suites Madison General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Homewood Suites Madison West
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Madison West

Been to Comfort Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!