Americas Best Value Inn - Madison
Ranked #56 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We reserved 4 rooms for a family wedding. This place was very old needed updating everywhere, mold around the windows, dirty carpets in the hallway . The breakfast was inadequate. I was very embarrassed to have brought my adult kids here. For a few dollars more we could have stayed at a motel 6 . I would say to check out some place else ! Very shady looking from the outside , garbage dump just down the road.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank thinkabouti

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was surprised by the cleanliness of the room and the rate was very competative..... There was a nice flat screen tv in the room and even though the furnishings were simple it was incredibly clean and more than sufficient.... I have stayed in expensive motels that weren't nearly as clean
and comfortable. For a no frills place to stay I was completely satisfied.... If you are looking for a safe and clean place to stay don't hesitate.... Also close to the interstate so easy access to everywhere.... The lady at the front desk is not very helpful but again I don't need help staying
in a clean and safe room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Probably like many other people I usually don't write a review if things were pretty average but due to some of the other reviews I thought I should. I am not a high maintenance person, just like a place to be clean, friendly staff, etc. We stayed here while going to a Badger game so we knew we would not be spending much time at the hotel anyway. It wasn't too hard to find, just need to put it in the GPS and look for the signs. We were able to check in early, staff was friendly. Rooms need some work but they are clean. I did not have any issues with the shower and they have a hair dyer in the bathroom which I always appreciate, one less thing to pack! The breakfast was great. Biscuits and gravy, sausages, fruit, cereal, juices, coffee, milk, waffles, and you can make your own omlet. FYI, the cab ride to Camp Randall was about $25. Works best to order cabs online vs. trying to call. GO BADGERS!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerry F
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Room was small. Shower only no tub. No carpet on the floors. Bathroom needs updating. Room was clean. Very noisy hallways as there is no carpet. Doors don't close well. Had to slam it to make it shut and lock. The hotel is buried off the highway. Very shaddy looking. Parking lot is full of pot holes

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ccorley2009
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was apprehensive of this place based on the low price, but based on reviews I thought it would be clean and quiet. It wasn't.
1) Old. They have keys. Not key cards. Duplication of keys pose a security problem, plus when checking out the keys are merely dropped in a window well. Anyone could walk by and pick up your key. Everything in the room was old except for bed linens. The mattress sagged so bad on one side I nearly rolled out of bed several times.
2) Dirty. The first impression when walking the halls is the awful smell. Then opened the door to find a worse smell. A musty, body odor smell. We decided to open a window to get some fresh air, but the location next to the landfill posed another problem. The outside air had a natural gas odor. My eyes and throat burned with both air conditioning and natural air. Cobwebs, carpet dirt and wall splashes behind the toilet (what do you think that was?) contribute to the skid row motif.
3) Loud. It's next to the interstate and the windows and walls do nothing to stop the noise.
4) Breakfast. I've had worse. The omelet station, sausages, fruit, butter and cream cheese are only available on weekends. On a Monday morning those were not available. I didn't use the omelet station when it was available. After watching several people finger the cooking utensils I questioned the cleanliness. There's a restroom directly in the breakfast area and people use it. The smells were atrocious.

I can't understand the positive reviews this place gets. I've stayed at a lot of cheep hotels before, but this one is near the bottom of the heap. We won't return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dean H
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place wouldn't be my first choice, but it was OK. It's old and run down, located next to an old garbage dump in the middle of nowhere, and I've seen hot tubs twice the size of the "pool" here. We got a room w/2 doubles, and the beds were shoved tight to the walls, so whoever slept on the inside had to climb over the other person to get in or out of bed, but they were pretty comfortable otherwise. It is nice that the room had a mini fridge and microwave, and the desk staff were pretty friendly and efficient. Since other hotels in the area offer a noon checkout, I thought the 1100 checkout was kind of early. The soundproofing is as bad as it gets in this age/class of hotel. The worst thing, though, was the shower. No matter how I adjusted it, it would change in a matter of seconds to either scalding hot or freezing cold. And when I say scalding hot, I mean on the edge of dangerous, I wouldn't want to have small children, elderly, or anyone with really delicate skin in these showers, they could get badly burned. I would have only rated this place a 2, but the breakfast was above average and merited a better rating. They had a hot buffet with biscuits and sausage gravy, breakfast sausages, a make-your-own omelet/scrambled egg station, waffle and pancake makers (with fruit and whipped topping), fruit, hot and cold cereal, toast, juice, and coffee.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark C
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The only reason we didn't go somewhere else was because it was 1am and we had been looking for a room for hours since before the Wisconsin dells.
This place was extremely filthy. It looked like someone vomited in the hall. The rooms were not quite that bad, but close.

• Stayed: August 2013