“Everything about this restaurant is outstanding!”

HuHot Mongolian Grill
Ranked #456 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Asian, Mongolian, Fusion
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Buffet
Description: Create your own Asian stir-fry! Choose from our fresh selection of meats, seafood, noodles, veggies and Asian-influenced sauces. Customize your Mongolian BBQ masterpiece, then watch as it's cooked on our grill of epic proportions. It's all-you-can-eat, so you can try as many combinations as you want! A unique dining experience for the whole family.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our best overall restaurant experience in recent memory. Everything about this restaurant is outstanding! We were greeted by a friendly, informative host who made sure we understood the routine for making up our bowls for the grill. Our waiter was prompt and helpful as well. The food ingredients were all very fresh, and from what I could tell, of a higher quality than we had seen at other Mongolian grills. They have a ton of sauce choices to ladle onto your food before cooking. I hit the jackpot with one which I think had coconut milk in it. Whatever it was, it was addictive. I'm sure I would have gone back for thirds, but was saved by the fact that we had somewhere else to go. The grill cooks were a special treat. As at other grills, they are enthusiastic and seem to enjoy their job. These guys were experimenting on a routine for juggling their spatulas. The best trick was four of them tossing them towards the space above middle the grill so that they collide and then bounce back to them. Sort of a jam session for grill cooks. A great show, worth throwing a buck or two into the tip bowl, if you're so inclined. We were there on a Sunday night, when craft beers on tap are only $2, which was one more added benefit. Although we live some distance away we'll back for sure.

1  Thank Martin T

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This place is pretty dirty. Floor,grill,the line for the cooks. I took a few pictures. They have a gold mine and tons of help but only one poor bus woman. With all the help here u would think one of the waiters or waitress could help. Meat was all frozen. Probably won't be coming back.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I’ve already reviewed this once in May and have returned a few times since then. My last visit was Saturday afternoon. This review is not complete, I mainly want to include photos of the place along with some captions and elaborations of my previous review.

Their web site will explain some of the ideas behind this place

I give the HuHot waitstaff high marks for asking if anyone has any allergies. If you let them know, they will alert you to things (sauces, etc.) that contain allergens. They do their best to protect you but you can still mess yourself up if you aren’t careful. After a half-dozen visits, I must say that the wait staff appears to know their allergies and the one person that didn’t know, got somebody to answer our questions. They get points for that!!

While I’m on these issues, I should note that the restaurant is handicap accessible. However, if you are alone and need both hands for mobility, you will need a little assistance putting your meal together. One of our party was using a cane and managed quite well by herself.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

The price seemed a little steep for supper. The teenage girls seemed to enjoy the meal - but both commented about the flirty cooks and waiter - as they both figured they were working for bigger tips. The food was okay - as you pick it yourself. The egg drop soup was a little too salty but good flavor. I have been to other HuHots where they ask you if you liked what you created and if not they would take it away without comment.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

One of my favorite family restaurants in Madison is the HuHot Mongolian Grill on the far west side. Their specialty is do-it-yourself Asian stir-frys.

Their web site will explain some of the ideas behind this place

And here’s a youtube link to give you an idea of what you’ll see. (Admittedly, these guys are showing off and it’s more over-the-top than what they usually do, but it’s still fun to watch them cook your meal.)

When you visit their website, click on “Menu” then select “Create a Meal” to see a list of all the stuff they have to make your meal. Note that they will alert you to things (sauces, etc.) that contain allergens. They do their best to protect you but you can still mess it up for yourself. After a half-dozen visits, I must say that the wait staff appears to be knowledgable in this area and the one person that didn’t know, got somebody to answer our questions. They get points for that!!

While I’m on these issues, I should note that the restaurant is handicap accessible. However, if they are alone and need both hands for mobility, they will need a little assistance putting their meal together.

The concept behind the food is to provide you with a huge variety of things and you put your own meal together. You take a bowl and fill it with all the things you want for your own stir-fry. Then you take it to the cooks at the grill and they cook it for you. (It’s quite entertaining to watch them cooking.) wWhen they are done cooking, they hand you your plate and off you go. When you finish that plate, you get another bowl and go back for seconds, thirds, etc., until you’re full. I have yet to make it to dessert.

You can choose from beef, pork, chicken, fish and other seafoods including, when availablee, calamari, shark, and swordfish. There are 24 different kinds of veggies to choose from, four different kinds of noodles, and 25 different sauces. The sauces are where the fun really kicks in. You not only have the different sauces, you can mix them to creat your own special sauce. You will also find little cards with popular blends listed for you to try. Rice is provided at your table. Appetizers and desserts are separately priced from the main meal. Drinks are also served.

Before I end this I should let you know how to get there. The main entrance to the restaurant is on the main street on the south-east corner of the building. The parking for the restaurant, however, is behind it. (You’ll figure it out.)

If you haven’t done this before, give it a try you’ll enjoy it. When you first walk in just tell them you’re new and they’ll be happy to get you through the entire process.

1  Thank johnfaludi