“Very well done”

and up
Walking Dinner Tour in Downtown Middleton
Ranked #1 of 101 things to do in Madison
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Madison's most popular attractions, this oasis of green includes a sunken garden, perennial garden, rose garden, rock garden, herb garden, wildflower garden and a tropical conservatory.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I didn't expect much from a botanical garden in Madison. I mean, we live in the midwest. How good could it be? At best, I thought I might get a few ideas for my own garden. Boy, was I wrong! This garden is very well done, and I found myself taking pictures every few steps. There are woodland gardens, prairie gardens, rose gardens, scuptures, water gardens, bog gardens, and even vegetable gardens, and if you're there at the right time, you can see butterflies emerging from their crysalis inside the conservatory. It's a nice way to spend an hour or two.

There are newer reviews for Olbrich Botanical Gardens

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Let's start out with the fact that the outdoor portion of these gardens were free. Yes, free. The indoor conservatory portion cost us $2.00 per person, which I gladly paid, not because the indoor part was spectacular, but because we wanted to support the whole place.

We had just dropped off someone at the airport and wanted something to do for a couple of hours until their plane left. (make sure they took off ok). About 10 minutes away was the Olbrich gardens.

As a visitor, the grounds were scrupulously maintained. The conservatory was nice, with tropical plants, a waterfall and a few butterflies left. There were 15 outdoor gardens, with easy walking paths. We spent a couple of hours wandering through and no one was bored.

If you like theme gardens and are in the area, go.

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We most often stop in and see the gardens when in Madison. With warm weather coming early and staying late the gardens were particularly spectacular this year. We are great hosta fan's and they abound. Everything is so well done and worth the trip.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

A nice place to walk with people of all ages. The annual butterfly exhibit is fun but do not come during or after a rain... no butterflies to be seen.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The inside conservatory is gorgeous - winding pathways, waterfall, birds, butterflies, and Koi -- but especially THICK green everywhere. The outdoor gardens are equally enthralling. So much to see, but small enough not to feel overwhelming.