“Was expecting more...”

Madison Children's Museum
Ranked #1 of 17 Fun & Games in Madison
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Madison Children's Museum is an award-winning destination for fun family activities and hands-on learning! Visit our inventive city of Possible-opolis for ages 6 and up, and our four-season Rooftop Ramble, with animals and gardens. Kids under 5 have a place of their own in the Wildernest, a global village made with natural, local materials.There's always something new to do at Madison Children's Museum, where our mission is to connect children with their family, their community, and the world beyond through discovery learning and creative play.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator
Lake Mills, Wisconsin, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Was expecting more...”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had recently moved to the area & heard that the Madison Children's Museum had been remodeled & was supposed to be a lot of fun. I went with my 2 year old daughter & 9 year old brother. My daughter enjoyed the "water room." She could have stayed all day!

But my 9 year old brother was quickly bored. The museum is actually quite small! He was up & down within the hour & was looking for more to do. I was bummed that there wasn't more for him to do.

The Arts & Crafts area was a complete disaster! Everything was scattered everywhere! I couldn't find complete pieces of paper or supplies to make anything with my daughter. It seemed as if most of the available supplies were remnants of old pieces of paper, scraps of string, etc.

All in all, the museum left me lacking.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Kara S

• Hebrew first
Baraboo, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun place to go with your kids”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It nice to see that they have put so much effort in making the Mueseum fun and exciting. This is very easy to get to.

Madison, Wisconsin
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“See chickens in the city!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This newly opened museum at this location, is well worth a visit for both children and adults. Lots of hands-ons for the children, restaurant on-site, garden with live chickens on rooftop.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Maxx0513
Hershey, Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Madison's indoor playground, discovery center”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was surprised at how small this children's museum was. I thought it would be bigger. If you have a child over age 5, it's even smaller because about 1/4 of the center is designated kids 5 and under only. But, it was clean, the staff were super friendly, and my kids had a lot of fun. Everything here is hands on. Kids are encouraged to push, paint, pull, climb and create. Nothing boring here. Museum in the title isn't very accurate. My kids loved the "shadow room" where the shadows they create remain on the wall so they can back away and view them. They loved the Painting wall - a big wall that is clear like a window that they can paint on, spray their picture with a water bottle, squidgy it away and start over. Staff on the roof allowed my daughter to hold a mouse. There were chicks, roosters, pigeons, turtles and big sunflowers. Nice view too. My daughter enjoyed the weaving loom, human size hamster wheel and water play. There is a Quiznos an easy walk up the road where we had our lunch or you can purchase and eat food right at the kids museum. Limited parking. $5 fee. Looking for a place to play with your kid,(toodler to about age 11).., This is it.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank GoSeeItMom
Kenosha, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun for all ages!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was impressed with all the hands on things to do here, even the adults were touching and playing with the exhibits. the Garden on the roof was a wonderful surprise.There are fun things in every direction and corner.

Visited July 2012