“Interesting place”

Reserve a Table
Mon, 10/21
8:00 PM
Ranked #96 of 1,147 Restaurants in Madison
Description: French Homestyle Cafe & Restaurant!
Description: French Homestyle Cafe & Restaurant!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

So we show up for breakfast at 9am. They open at 9am. All tables, save one were unoccupied. We were asked if had a reservation and we did not. We’re told by our host that we needed one and we said “ok we will go”. Then he said “No I can seat you but you have to be done in less than an hour”. Weird. So we sat and were heavily instructed as to how to order from the menu. Weird. Still no other people coming into the restaurant and a couple turned away for also not having reservations. So, food was good (salmon omelette the “madame”, a monte Cristina with an egg on top)if a bit slight for the price. Service was a bit on the slow, especially for coffee service and having to be moved out in less than an hour (honestly if breakfast takes over an hour you’re doing something wrong). Wisecracking host puts this down a couple of stars but an interesting place in Madison. One n done here but give it a try, once.....and apparently make a reservation even though place was still sporting open tables as we fled the scene.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank Cstull68
Write a reviewReviews (41)

Reviewed August 7, 2019

Our food was really tasty. The service was not great and unfortunately, waiter Ethan told an off-color, bro-centric joke as he took our order - I asked for a 2 Women beer (a local by New Glarus) and he says, "blond or brunette?" This is on Tuesday, where they actually have a "date night" special menu!? My date & I looked at each other like - no way did he say that. He also made us wait 10-12 minutes before making it over to us as he flirted and jabbered loudly with 2 actual women at the table behind us - during which time we seriously asked each other "should we leave" and decided to stay out the poor service, which sadly just got poorer and more embarrassing. The food was nice - Boeuf Bourguignon was tasty, partner's savory crepe was really good, we had to ask for butter but we were given olives, extra bread & a taste of the cooks ice cream, gratis. That's excellent - the kitchen - 4 stars + (side salad a bit of a joke was my only problem). Ethan - unfortunately detracted from our experience and in the small dining room, he was the only server on duty on Tuesday night. We'd go again but not when he was working - not a self aware, quiet or enlightened person (like, know your job & don't be inappropriate or overly talkative) and it was just not the experience you expect in a nice French restaurant. Food, good+. Ethan, bummer-.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 6, 2019

We enjoyed a most delicious dinner and great wine selections in a most adorable little dining room, just a dozen or so tables. Nellie was a most friendly hostess and server, explaining the menu in full and returning to check in our selections. Salad Nicoise started the meal, followed by Croq'Madame for him and Crepe Parisienne for her. Too full for dessert but hope to return someday soon to satisfy our sweet tooth!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 27, 2019

For some reason I hadn't been to La Kitchenette for a while, but a recent lunch with friends reminded me that it's well worth the trip. It stands out for its consistently good food. It's a small place, but it feels cozy, not cramped, and though the noise level can be a bit high, it feels lively. I most often go for lunch, and usually order familiar dishes, such as crepes, omelettes, croque monsieur, tartine or whatever the soup is. For me, it's all about French comfort food and they have great coffee. It's a full-service restaurant vs. counter service, and it's comfortable for solo dining, which can be hard to find in a full-service restaurant. I highly recommend this place.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 2, 2019

The ambience is so calming even in the midst of a very busy Sunday morning brunch. We did not have reservations and had to wait a few minutes but I was expecting to wait a lot longer. While the tables are quite close together I did not feel crowded even though in another surrounding it would have felt like we were sitting with strangers. A very European feel and I loved it. The service was perfect and they seemed to really care that their guests have a great experience. Just friendly enough and professional without being too much in our space. The server makes a mean latte! Yum. The food was exceptional! Everything was so yummy, we had soup, baguettes, and a ham and egg sandwich and even had a to-die-for lemon curd crepe dessert! The potatoes are indescribably delicious.This is a hidden gem as both myself and my guest had never heard of nor been there before and we have been everywhere. We will most definitely be back!

Date of visit: April 2019

Been to La Kitchenette? Share your experiences!