“Casual, Busy, Filling - Good Food - lots of to-go boxes used!”
Review of Mickies Dairy Bar

Mickies Dairy Bar
Ranked #24 of 989 Restaurants in Madison
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Madison, Wisconsin
“Casual, Busy, Filling - Good Food - lots of to-go boxes used!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We arrived on a summer Saturday just past noon. Most of the people leaving were carrying to-go boxes. When you walk in - it's seat yourself. There are stools going around the counter - booths for 4 along the wall - larger group seating up by the window and in the middle - there are chairs lined up and down both sides of tables that are put together - large groups or smaller groups who sit next to each other. The menu is posted up on the wall - lunch plates, breakfast omelets, various styles of pancakes, single sandwiches, kids meals. A waitress will take your drink and food order - bring you your food and when you are done - you pay at the register in the front by the door. I had a Mickey Burger which was a large hand-pattied burger with bacon and your choice of cheese - it comes with lettuce, deli-style pickle slices, tomato slices, your choice of cheese, and served on a deli-bun - I added grilled onions. It comes with a side of fries, home-style fries, or potato salad. I had the potato salad which is a deli-style sweeter mustard salad w/ eggs and onion topped w/ paprika. My husband had the turkey burger with home-style fries (fried potatoes). Our meal came to $12 and was very filling - large portions. Many people had breakfast - I saw many getting to-go boxes before diving into the cakes - have would go in the box and they'd eat the rest - full plate sized and very thick. Many people had omelets with a side cup of oatmeal, home-style fries, and 2 pcs of toast. The omelets took up 2/3 of the plate w/ the home-style fries taking up the rest. Very busy - food was served promptly - louder, casual, fun, and very good. I want to come back for breakfast before going to the Farmer's Market. The location is good - right across the street from Camp Randall - if you park on a side street - it's free parking. There is a spot to lock up bikes on the corner and across the street by Camp Randall is one of the rent-to-ride bike racks.

• Visited July 2013

• Korean first
“My favorite summer treat is Mickie's”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I love to go in the summer - one of my favorite breakfast places. They don't even look twice if you order a milkshake for breakfast. If you go for the pancakes, one is plenty. The whole grain pancake is hearty, warm, yummy all by itself. My husband goes for the chili cheese omelet with "yanks" ( fried potatoes). Hilary was our darling server. Sometimes it's hard to get in when our students are around, so let's keep Hilary busy by stopping by Mickie's - easy to get a table until the school year starts!

• Visited June 2013
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Diner-y place, good food”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stopped here for lunch on a Thursday afternoon. My husband lived in Madison for several years for college and used to come here every week. I'd never been here before. We decided to see if anything had changed in the last 30 years.

Menu is interesting - lots of choices for breakfast, lunch & dinner (although I believe they are only open until 2:30 PM).

We both had omelets - my husband had the chili cheese omelet which he liked a lot. I had a "plain" omelet with some veggies. Both were well cooked and tasty.

The service was very good and the waiter & all the rest of the staff were very friendly. The place was busy even mid-afternoon on Thursday.

Visited June 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum Yum Yum!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This place is so delicious. I ALWAYS get the blueberry pancakes because I love them so much. I have also been with people who get the scramblers, which are their go-to dishes. Be prepared to wait, and the atmosphere is very diner-ish, but it's worth it!

Visited March 2013
“Excellent Simple food!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Mickies Dairy Bar is not fancy at all. Some have called it a dive. I disagree with them. It is quaint and simple but not a dive. It is also very crowded because the dishes that they serve are very big, very inexpensive and very good. This is not a place for people who want a fancy brunch with eggs benedict and poached salmon. However, if you are in the mood for some of the best breakfast items around, large portions and friendly service than this is a place for you.

On the day that my wife and I visited I had the chili and cheese omelet and she had a burger and fries. My omelet was large and tasty. It was served with home fries and toast and I was quite full afterwards. My wife’s burger was served with excellently cooked French fries and very fresh tomatoes, lettuce and onions.

The waitress that served us was pleasant and she kept our coffee cups full at all time. Mickies is one of the best places I have ever had breakfast. I highly recommend it!

• Visited May 2013

Been to Mickies Dairy Bar? Share your experiences!