“Excellent sushi in a casual setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sushi Muramoto

Sushi Muramoto
Ranked #133 of 980 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wisconsin
“Excellent sushi in a casual setting”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The favorite Madison restaurant of my wife and me is Sushi Muramoti in the Hilldale Mall. Especially good are the lunch specials. We almost always order the sashimi plate, which comes with soup. The food here is excellent and the service first-rate. We have never been disappointed.

• Visited February 2014

• Korean first
portage wi
“Good sushi after movie or shopping”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I regularly stop in this place for an early dinner after a movie at Sundance (in the adjacent shopping mall) and have found the sushi good and the service fine. I frequently try the "chef's choice" as that has provided a nice variety. The edamame is mediocre but the miso soup is good - although sometimes not really hot. The restaurant has a bit of a cold feel to it and they usually sit you right next to another table - and the tables are close. But it's still a good place for a quick dinner that isn't too filling or greasy.

• Visited January 2014
“Try the lettuce wraps”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Sushi Muramoto is a favorite for its sushi, but it's worth trying some other menu items. The pork barbecue lettuce wraps are a nice choice as a lunch item, especially if you share a bowl of edamame with a dining companion.

Visited December 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Inconsistent Quality, Consistent Near-Haughty Service”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I've been to Muramoto a number of times over the past couple of years and returned from another visit a week ago. It's okay, but not good enough to be better than some other sushi/Japanese cuisine in Madison. I don't always get sushi since I either had a previous poor experience, or the person/people I go with wants and likes Muramoto and I'm stuck with getting something different.

The service is usually very good, from the host to bartender to waitstaff. Chefs are sometimes friendly when you sit at the bar. I've had some waitstaff that seem to care less about you and just want the tip, but mostly have had very good servers that are attentive and actually listen to your needs or questions. Although, I must say they tend to take their job a bit too seriously; I'm not looking for a Friday's or Chilis waiter, but since the atmosphere is lively (and a bit cramped) and people are having a good time, at least they could smile and be thankful you're there.

I've had plenty of nigiri sushi and sashimi and their regular dishes on various nights, usually Wednesday to Saturday nights. Since there are many opinions about how cold or warm the fish should be served, and what fish it is, I can say that it's been inconsistent in temperature every time I've had sushi there. The rice is usually consistent at room temp, but I've had full plates of warmer than room temp fish, room temp fish, and very cold fish. Even trying my companion's fish would yield the same results - it's like they choose on a specific night to serve the fish at a specific temp. Maybe it depends on the chef? When I have a regular entree instead of sushi, I find it's usually over-seasoned and/or salty. I understand that if you go to a sushi place that they may not excel in main entrees, but wouldn't you think if you don't excel in all food served that you wouldn't have it on the menu? (especially a nicer place like this). I generally like my sushi between cooler than room temp and cold and out of the last four times I've had sushi there, only two were acceptable - one excellent and one barely cold. The other times the fish was warm or at room temp and not tasting good. Also, if you get a spicy roll (ordered usually by my co-diners, it can be blazing or barely spicy). Last example: the miso soup - the last time it was almost chunky enough to be a stew (exaggerated but close), but other times it barely had seaweed or tofu.

Definitely try the black sesame and ginger ice creams. Those are consistently good.

Muramoto at Hilldale is a fashionable place to go that gets all kinds of people. I continue to go usually because other people make the decision and I'm okay with going knowing that whatever I get will be of a mystery quality. Maybe that's why I keep going and don't fight my companions too much, because I'm curious what kind of food experience I'll have - like a difference sushi place every time I go. I'm all for uniqueness when getting the same dishes as it adds "flavor" to a place, but with sushi I don't want wide variations of temp and fish quality.

Prices are actually pretty good for a place like Muramoto, but I've had much better experiences elsewhere for less money (not cheap sushi places, just less atmosphere with better consistent quality).

• Visited December 2013
“Our favorite”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is our favorite for dinner and a movie at sundance. If you don't eat here at least once while in town you will be missing out. Fresh innovative and delicious.

• Visited December 2013