“Excellent Hotel and Service”

Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club this past weekend, January 19 - 20, 2013. The hotel has excellent customer service beginning with the gentlemen who assist you at the door with your bags, to the employees who work behind the desk. The room I stayed in was very clean and I was actually shocked on how nice the room was. I stayed on the 10th floor which provided a great view of downtown Madison and the State Capital. The parking garage is currently being worked on and is quite the challenge to maneuver with the construction barricades. The hotel does compensate its guest with free parking which is always a nice perk while they work on their parking structure. The pool area was very clean and the restaurant at the hotel is excellent. If you are staying in downtown Madison, I would strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have the finances available to you, I strongly recommend to book a room on the Governor's...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bradley S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Megan and Grace are the super nicest bartender/concierge people. We had a great time and the atmosphere is great at the Governor's Club. We're happy Scott Walker isn't there and it's got a great view of the capitol building. In the room, the MTI airtub is the best in the business and the lighting is superb too. There are these little bubbles that cool you down underneath the hot water so you can stay in longer. Long towels too!

Room Tip: Definitely top floor, governor's club, airtub room all the way. The view is worth the price and...
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited the Concourse on New Years Eve. They had several packages to choose from for the evening. My husband and I really enjoyed the Governor's Club level. We enjoyed the extra perks and attention that this level offers. The entertainment was very enjoyable. I would choose this hotel again for special get-a-ways when in Madison. Certainly worth the "trip down town".

Room Tip: Definatly worth getting on the Governors Level. The complimentary bar and breakfast is worth it. T...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renee S
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My fiancé and I live in Madison, so we did not stay here for travel. We just wanted something fun to do for New Years. I'd heard their special packages advertised on the radio, so we decided to go for it. They had 4 available packages ranging from fairly inexpensive ($199/couple) to more extravagant (close to $500/couple), depending on what's included, and what kind of room you want to stay in. (Each package included a night's stay in the hotel, which is what had me sold as soon as I'd heard it... What better way to end a night of drinking and partying, than to ride an elevator up to your cozy room and just crash. ;) Sometime in mid-December, with the help of a VERY friendly lady in their Reservations department, who took the time to review every package with us, and answer ALL of our questions, we decided to go with the Dinner & Dancing Package with the Governor's Club suite. In short, this place & experience exceeded quite a few of our expectations, and we had a blast. Here's the rundown:

Arrival/Check-in: A couple days before New Years Eve, we received a phone call from the hotel confirming our plans and dinner reservations. I really appreciated this, and it just built the anticipation for me because I felt we'd be well taken care of. On Dec 31st, Hotel check-in was at 3pm so we decided to head over around 4pm with our attire for that evening and just get ready there. As soon as we pulled up, a kind gentlemen informed us that regular parking was full due to construction, and so they are just valet parking the cars. (Nice!) They offered to help us with our bags, welcomed us with a smile, and asked if we'd been to their hotel before. We hadn't, so he was careful to point us in the right direction for check-in, and wish us a great evening and to enjoy ourselves! Never seen someone so happy to greet people, and park their car. You can tell they care about their guests, and want them to have a good time. Check-in was a breeze. The lady at the front desk reviewed everything that our package included, event scheduling etc., answered any questions, and sent us on our way.

Room: The top three floors (Governor's Suites) are private key access only so you have to swipe your card to even take the elevator there (which we forgot, and thought the button was broken, pushing it 3 or 4 times... and then enjoyed the playfully sarcastic "ooh's and ahh's" from everyone in the elevator once we realized we needed our key card to select that floor (lol). The room was very nice and spacious, not cramped. Very clean. She told us at check-in that we would have a lake view, and we did. :) Bathroom was fairly small, nothing particularly special, but the spacious walk-in shower more than makes up for it. (If you are on a schedule and plan to take a shower in that shower... plan an extra 20-30 mins. because you will not be able to get out. Or be sure the door is unlocked in case you need an intervention.) It had Bath & Body Works 'Rainkissed Leaves' scented products. Very spa-like, natural, and relaxing. Huge king bed with a plush pillow-top mattress, and pillows like clouds. We got ready and headed to the Governor's Lounge around 6:15 for complementary drinks and H'orderves.

Governor's Lounge: It was everything I expected and I was so glad we chose to upgrade. Gorgeous view of the Capital. Cozy fireplace with couches, and plenty of room to sit (or stand) at a table and enjoy a few drinks. Not crowded or loud. It was beautifully decorated for the season, and it just added to the ambiance that everyone was all decked out in their New Year's Eve best. I do not understand how they can serve free cocktails from 4pm to 10:30pm, but they do, and the carefree feeling of being able to just order drinks and chill, without having to worry about how much you're "spending," is probably worth the upgrade alone, especially if you're a drinker. (Even on so-called "all-inclusive" cruises, you have to pay for your alcohol, so this was pretty nice.) We are not big drinkers, though, so we just enjoyed a few cocktails, some spring rolls, and spicy chicken samosas. I tried not to overdo it since we had a 4-course dinner coming up at 8pm!

Dinner: Our package included a 4-course gourmet meal at the Dayton Street Grille. We both chose the lobster bisque for our first course (delicious and creamy!) and grilled quail for the second. (I'd never had quail before, so it was nice to try something new. It was pretty small, and I was glad, with still 2 courses to go...) For the main course, I ordered beef tenderloin and lobster ravioli, and he had baked cod. (By the way, before we booked this package we had a look at the menu online, and I loved it. Still, I thought the "beef tenderloin and lobster ravioli" was going to be some sort of ravioli dish with sliced beef and lobster in it. When I got it, it was an actual filet of beef, cooked to order, and ridiculously tender. The lobster-stuffed ravioli was on the side.) Thankfully, our waitress boxed up 75% of it for me...lol. I had to save a little room for dessert. Dinner also included a wine or champagne toast. (Btw, we weren't sure if we were supposed to leave a tip or not, since our meal was already paid for, and we didn't even bring much cash. We were going to ask the hostess, but at the end of our meal, our waitress gave us the check, and told us to just put our two dinner vouchers in the billfold and write our room number, since it's all included. I looked at the bill, and it was almost $200, including an 18% gratuity charge - all prepaid in our package. The pleasant surprises just kept coming.)

DJ Dance Party: (Honestly, by the time we left dinner we were so full and relaxed that we had to fight the temptation to just go back to our room, lay in that humungous bed, and watch movies all night! The evening had barely begun, and we were already content with our night, and felt it would have been worth the money spent to just call it a night.) But we managed to freshen up and head down to the dance party around 11pm or so. The only thing about this part that I would say was kind of awkward was that if you came late (it started around 9:30, I think) it seems you had to kind of wander around aimlessly looking for a place to sit at a table, and for an unclaimed party hat/tiara. (You don't know what's taken, who's sitting together as a group, etc. I think if you're paying for this you should have a guaranteed number of seats/tables and possibly even have assigned seating at first (just so that *paying guests* have a guaranteed place to sit) and then if everyone wants to mix it up as they go along, then so be it.) Anyway, we found what seemed like an abandoned table, enjoyed a drink or two, had the champagne toast at midnight, and danced the night away to mostly Top 40 type stuff, with a few random crowd pleasers here and there. Our package included 4 free drink vouchers, and we only used ONE. (My regular coke was free, I guess, and we'd already drank enough at the Lounge. Between that and the midnight champagne toast, plus the one we'd already had at dinner, we were pretty much set...) When we headed back to our room a little after 1am, we got to experience the real reason we booked a Governor's Suite. Quiet. There was no one wandering the halls, etc. It was dead silent. (We are light sleepers and I was worried we'd be up all night, staying in a Hotel that's literally FULL of people partying and drinking. Any other time of year, I should think you'd be fine staying anywhere, but if you come here for New Years, and noise level is a concern of yours, this might work for you.) Needless to say, we had a great night's sleep.

Breakfast: We set our alarm for 10:30, just in case we weren't awake in time for check-out at 11am. I ended up waking up earlier around 9am (told you, good night's sleep...) and wanted to double-check the breakfast and check out times. I dialed 0 for guest services and she informed me that check out, for today, was at 2pm (?!?) Awesome. (I have to admit, when we originally planned this, I was a little skeptical about how they could expect a hotel full of hungover people to check out on time. This answered my question. They don't. LOL) So this was another nice surprise. We now had at least an hour and a half to mosey on over to the continental breakfast in the Governor's Lounge, and come back and pack up later, rather than having to permanently vacate the room beforehand. (FYI - we were originally going to splurge for the full package that included a gourmet breakfast buffet with carving station and everything, but we figured with the big dinner, and a free breakfast already included with our suite, we didn't need to spend the extra money, and we were right.) The continental breakfast setup included piping hot scrambled eggs (well-prepared, not all dry and clumpy), hot french toast, and an assortment of fresh fruits, baked goods, etc. There was even a free bloody mary bar, which I really enjoyed. We still had a few more hours to kill so we relaxed in the room and watched the rest of The Hangover, before packing up around noon. (On the way out, we noticed people heading downstairs in their spa robes and I saw on the directory that there's a pool, fitness center, and hot tub on one of the lower floors. Had we known in advance that check-out was at 2pm, we might have brought our swimsuits! Good to know for next time...)

Check-out: Like check-in, check-out was also a breeze - actually even easier. We just called the number from our room and did the express check-out. We didn't even visit the front desk. We were able to just grab our bags and turn in our valet ticket. Our car was brought around in a few minutes.

Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better experience for the price paid. The staff is genuinely helpful, hard-working, and friendly. The h'orderves and breakfast NEVER got cold or ran out. They were always back and forth filling it up with a fresh batch. Everyone treated us with kindness and with respect. We felt our business (and presence) was valuable to them, and that they truly wanted us to be happy. I would definitely do this again, and maybe invite more people along. In fact, we plan to stay at the Concourse (Governor's Club all the way, lol) sometime during the year, maybe for a Birthday or whatever, just to enjoy it again. Maybe we'll get a whirpool suite next time! ;)

Room Tip: The Governor's Club upgrade is definitely worth it. Also, if you stay here in the winter and you...
3  Thank Brandyzzle
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Although we visit Madison frequently, we had never stayed at this hotel. Got a good deal through the hotel, and stayed just for a holiday break. No problem finding hotel or parking garage, check in was fast and easy. We stayed in the Governor's club level, and asked for a room with a view of the Capitol. We were on the 11th floor, and the room was fine. Very comfortable king bed, sitting area, large shower. Best of all was the lounge with comp cocktails, hot appetizers, cheese and crackers, etc., then a late night dessert, and breakfast in the morning. The lounge is on the 12th floor, and is a large room with fireplace, small circular bar, and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Capitol. Watched the Packer game and met some interesting couples, attendant Megan very efficiently handled service. Walked over to Old Fashioneds for a light supper, deliciouls. Peppermint oreo cheesecake in the lounge for dessert when we returned to hotel, heavenly. In the morning, a nice selection for breakfast, then we walked across to the Capitol to see the Christmas tree. Work is being done in the parking garage adjacent to the hotel, so parking was complimentary. Really enjoyed our visit, and the proximity to just about everything downtown. Hope we can come back!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

stayed here while the hubby had a conference at the University. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance of shops, restaurants, the university, and state street. The hotel is very clean and the staff were all very informative and friendly. Check in and check out were both efficient. We stayed in the Governor's club rooms--- very big and clean. We also had access to the free nightly cocktail and appetizer time- as well as the free breakfast. Lovely perks! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had a great time here. Your company will have to pay an extra $10/day for the shuttle bus to EPIC, but it's so worth it. The hotel is right in the center of Madison so there are tons of restaurant options and things to see and do. The hotel is really clean and pleasant, they provided toothpaste & mouthwash when I forgot to pack them, drivers accomodated my shuttle needs for the airport based on my class and flight schedule, and everyone is so friendly and helpful. I need to return to EPIC two more times and will select this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with the view of the Capitol. Try to book the Governor's Club.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business