“Beautiful hotel, comfortable rooms, excellent service, fantastic location”

Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Madison Concourse over Easter weekend - got a fantastic rate which included Easter Brunch on Sunday. The rooms were recently updated - extremely comfortable, large, clean and quiet. The location was perfect for walking to most places we wanted to explore in town. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful throughout our stay - with this being our first visit to Madison, we greatly appreciated the recommendations and directions. The fitness facilty had a great selection of equipment - in a bright space. The pool and sauna were also a great amenity. Easter brunch was fantastic - delicious assortment of foods and great service. We will definitely return to the Madison Concourse soon.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 20, 2008

I have been traveling to Madison for over 10 years both for business and pleasure. My first choice of places to stay is always the Madison Concourse and Governor's Club.
' The location is superb, located one block from State Street's Overture Center, where the cultural events and performances I favor take place. It is the same distance from the State Capitol, a fact my whole family has enjoyed. State Street itself is entertaining with shops and restaurants for every taste. What a convenience to be "right there", and have parking beneath the hotel besides.
I have consistently been impressed with the staff and service at this hotel. Not only are they friendly and efficient but they go out of their way to assure you have every question answered and every need fulfilled. Remember, this is over a ten year period! This type of service is not occasional, it is standard operating procedure at the Concourse.
I cannot believe that you will find a better value than what they provide. There are two excellent restaurants in the building which I thoroughly enjoy. The intimate bar has provided tasteful, live music when I've been there and serves food until 11:00 p.m. They also have a pool and a spa, which I have not used and cannot speak to. If you choose to upgrade to the Governor's Club level, you have a private club member's elevator at your disposal, as well as complimentary cocktails, hors d'ouevres, and late coffee and dessert served in the beautiful Governor's Lounge on the 12th floor. It truly is a lovely atmosphere, with a wonderful view of the lighted Capitol building out its wall of windows.
They will provide a shuttle anywhere you need to go, even just down the block to the Overture Center! This was greatly appreciated when my mom was recovering from hip surgery and couldn't walk well. It was their suggestion to use the shuttle- another example of their extreme attentiveness.
I've already told them that I recommend the Concourse to anyone I know traveling to the Madison area. I am convinced you will be pleased with the choice to stay with them.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I was in Madison for a wedding and stayed at the Concourse for two nights. I got an insanely good deal on Hotwire (no royalties, thank you), and ended up paying about 1/3 of what my colleagues paid to stay in the Hilton just a couple of blocks away. We were right around the corner from the Capitol and a variety of wonderful eateries and shopping locations. The rooms were spacious and well-kept, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

My only complaint (and there is NOTHING they can do about it) is the parking garage. The roof is SO low that most SUVs have difficuty getting in without leaving paint. Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I'm currently in Madison on business & am staying @ the MCH&GC. I must say, the place is very nice, but I honestly expected more. I'm staying in a double queen room that is clean, but uninspiring & is just like any other decent room I've ever stayed in. It's relatively spacious, but seems very "Holiday Inn Express-ish". Parking is extra, but is underground...which is nice when it's snowing outside. All that being said, it really is a nice place. The bed (although not as firm as I typically like) & pillows are very comfortable & considering it's 17 degrees outside, the room keeps a very stable temperature. Also, the gym is VERY nice as compared to most I've seen - as is the pool/hot tub/sauna.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MightyClong
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I have stayed at many hotels in Madison over many years and only recently was I made aware of the Concourse Hotel. And what a treat it was. I paid the extra $35/night for the Governor's Club access and it was well worth it. That gives you a nice continental breakfast (including hot and cold cereal, toast, yogurt, fruit, pastries, tea, coffee, juices) in the morning. And a very nice hors d’ouevres selection in the early evening. Plus you get free drinks (with pretty much a fully-stocked bar) at their Governor's Club every evening with a spectacular view of the capital. It was well worth it for me.

The hotel's wireless access was excellent. It was fast and easy to connect to. And it was free.

The workaround area was perfect. It has free headsets and mini TVs on a lot of the equipment. The indoor pool was heated and the hot tub was nice too (although a bit hot for my liking). They also had a sauna room which I did not use.

They have a great free shuttle service to use. They took us to/from Campus for a few events we had. The location is great. Right on the capitol square.

The rooms were nice and comfortable. The beds were great. I slept very well and their custom-made pillows were heavenly.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful in every way. I will never stay anywhere else again when in stay in Madison.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank cheersman
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We have stayed at the Madison Concourse for several years each autumn for a conference. On one occasion we booked for the Governors Club and enjoyed it, but decided the complementary breakfast was not interesting enough and the evening service was nice, but the lounge was crowded and loud, and we figured we could save the extra money for a nice meal.
But on all occasions we have had a nicely appointed, clean and functioning room; often on an upper floor with a view toward Lake Mendota. The hotel staff are very helpful and friendly; the business center has two operating pc's at no charge; or there is a link in the room (which I THINK had a charge, but can't remember now). The conference facilities are very good if you are looking to book a meeting. The bar is friendly with jazz at least on some evenings. The dining room, Ovations, was not very crowded, which surprised me because the food was excellet in preparation and presentation. There too, the staff were attentive and friendly. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the Madison airport--although sometimes there is a fair wait at the airport for the pickup--they have timed departures to the airport which may be reserved the evening before. Did I mention the staff were friendly and accommodating? Yes, but it bears repeating. (On one rainy afternoon, a bellman drove me to the University campus in the van--just as a favor. This responsive type of service is not very often found.

So, the Madison Concourse is not super cheap, but it is value for money, and being close to the Capitol, the Saturday Farmers Market, a short walk to the Monona Terrace--from where Michael Feldman's "Whada you know?" program is broadcast, and virtually at adjacent to the new perfomring arts complext and funky State Street--it is a great location.

Shri 420
Seattle

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2008

Very nice hotel with a nice staff and nice, clean rooms. NO BEDBUGS (and I am an expert at finding them)! Hotel is within walking distance from the Capital building, and ecclectic State Street.

I did have one strange thing happen while staying at this hotel. A member of the cleaning staff tried to enter my room at 9:10pm while I was laying on the bed with minimal clothing. I told the hotel about this and they said they would check who it was who tried to enter the room by checking the computer to see whose key opened the lock on the door. I have no idea if they really did this or not, but they were very concerned about this.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business