“Decent Sheraton. Average stay.”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Decent Sheraton. Average stay.”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Overall this is not a bad Sheraton.

Check in
It was simple. Right to the desk and off to my room.

Room
I have status at Sheraton so I was on the preferred floor. Really i don't think it made much of a difference. Room is bigger I guess but I don't know what people are doing in rooms that they need a ton of space anyway.

Bed
As always they do have some good beds.

Location
I think the location stinks. To me the business traveler that doesn't know the area that great its close to nothing. Its by the highway and the arena.

For SPG members that can get into the managers reception they do not serve alcohol. They had dry carrot sticks and some other stuff. It was very unappetizing. It had to be the worst reception I have ever been to at a Sheraton.

Parking
To me the parking lot was small. Also there are very few close spots so if its snowing or raining it could be a mess.

Overall i really didn't have any problems. I would stay here again just because its a Sheraton. If it was another brand I would just go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with us. I apologize that you didn't have an exceptional experience in our club lounge. We do serve a variety of beer, wine and liquors in the club lounge which is available upon request.

I was disappointed to see that our parking did not live up to your expectations. Our parking lot has 344 spots that rarely if ever fills, we are also one of the only full service hotels in downtown Madison that doesn't charge for parking.

If / when you are back in Madison we would be honored if you would give us another chance. Please contact me directly so I can personally ensure your satisfaction

Best wisher,

John Archibald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 28, 2011

The rooms are great , great bussines hotel with a good location and great amenities, everything about my visit went amoothly.. the staff at sheraton were wonderful! The Front desk staff to the eng deparment.. the entire crew went over the way to assist me.. thank you soo much Jenna.. we will definitely recomend comming here

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
I am so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your positive feedback about the staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Recently stayed here a second time. Beds were comfortable and staff was friendly. Location is good and there a shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed January 2011
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is nice to be able to relax in your room with HD TV or even go downstairs to our Harvest Lounge and get a beer or a bite to eat.

We do have complimentary shuttle service, on your next stay you can take advantage of this service to get to a restaurant downtown.

Thank you for the positive comments, we look forward to seeing you next time you visit Madison

USA
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We chose the Sheraton this year for our Madison stay (last year we stayed in the Madison Concourse Hotel). We paid $30.00 per night plus 1,600 Starpoints.

Let me preface my review by saying that we have not generally had great experiences in Sheraton hotels. We know that Sheraton has invested a lot of money in renovating its hotels and we had some Starpoints that were expiring soon, so we decided to give it a try.

The Lobby was clean and presentable. It has been recently renovated but it seems to have a kind of "retro" feel (the hallways also). There are computers in the lobby for use at no charge. Check-in went smoothly and we proceeded to our rooms. We noted that our rooms were on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor. The rooms were generally clean - but not spotless. There was a little debris (lint) on the floor in our room and the desk seemed smudged and/or slightly worn. One of the members of our party had a room that seemed very "closed" and was it somewhat difficult to breathe in the room. Upon entering the bathroom, he discovered why: there was mold on the ceiling. We informed the front desk who promptly issued him another room - and gave him a complimentary upgrade to the Club Floor (the rooms appear identical except you are given complimentary lounge access). There seemed to be some issues with the keycards in entering the rooms... we often had to put the card in multiple times and sometimes we were convinced that we would never gain access to our rooms.

The beds were very comfortable. This was our first experience of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds but they seem to be comparable to the Westin Heavenly Beds.

The rooms were quiet but did not seem well insulated - we could hear the telephone ringing in the adjoining room. It is an older hotel that has been renovated so they were probably not ever well insulated.

We appreciated the complimentary water (this may have been a perk of being a Starwood Preferred Guest). There was a coffeemaker in the room and, although it was Starbucks, it was actually not bad. We noted that the Decaf coffee was past its "Best By" or "Expiration Date." Probably not too many takers on the Decaf coffee...

We had breakfast at the hotel and found ourselves to be the only ones in the dining room. We enjoyed our quiet breakfast. Service - and food - was good and the pricing seemed fair.

While we had no complaints at $30.00 a night (plus Starpoints), we would not think it to be a good value for around $120.00 a night (which seems to be around the going rate). We noted that the price had gone up recently - I think it had been in the $85.00 to $90.00 range in early 2010.

Unless we get an excellent deal, we'll probably go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed January 2011
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
First let me thank you for all of the great feedback. I have shared your comments with the applicable managers. I do apologize about your key card not working; we have recently received approval from the owner to upgrade our entire key system throughout the property. This should be completed in the coming months.

We have addressed the issue with the room mold. Thankfully it was an isolated incident and we are taking the necessary measures to make sure each room is fresh and clean for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you will give Sheraton and us in particular another chance in the future.

Yours Truly,

Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The hotel had clean rooms and comfortable beds. The room I was in had HD TV which was nice. There is a bar in the hotel. The location is close to downtown and the capital. The only down side is that there are no restaurants in walking distance. Otherwise friendly staff and they have an airport shuttle to Madison Dane County Airport.

cleveland, ohio
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel three times over the past few years while visiting our daughter at college. We are world travelers, and this hotel is really very nice. The decor is pretty and up to date. The rooms are large and clean, the staff is as nice as can be, and the beds and pillows are so comfortable that I am searching sites to see where I can buy their pillows. This is a pet friendly hotel, and we have always brought our dog. The staff and hotel guests have always been warm and friendly. While the hotel is not centrally located downtown, it is very easy to get to, and is easier than staying right downtown. There is free parking. We have always gotten a reasonable rate here, as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed December 17, 2010

The Sheraton is a great place to stay in Madison. The rooms have been renovated somewhat recently and are very nice, clean, and comfortable. Customer Service has always been good to me - in my 20 or so stays at this location. Workout room is good. Restaurant is good. There is a bar. I'll be honest, there is nothing especially stunning or remarkable about this hotel, but I have never been disappointed with my stay. I always have everything I need there. You do need transport to downtown area (never a problem for me, as I am driving from Chicago). My most recent stay was for a race - they are very accommodating to these special event situations. Rooms on the SPG level are really nice the the SPG lounge has a great breakfast on weekdays.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business