“Great people, reasonable property; great value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Urbana, Illinois
“Great people, reasonable property; great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

Every contact with the people at this hotel--especially Nicholas, a line manager--was superlative. I called to clarify a question about what seemed to be conflicting information from two sources, and he was helpful and went way above and beyond to sort things out and make sure we had a great stay. The little stuff was great, with staff members going above and beyond to do things well and right. The property is being remodeled and upgraded. The room was fine; as is pretty common these days, I wish there were more outlets because i have so much stuff to charge. I switched a lamp because of the outlets in it and the next day, someone restrung the way I'd done the cords (kinda carelessly) to make it all more convenient for me. Little stuff like that sure goes a long way. A great value and a great stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

I am staying at this hotel for the next year one or two nights per month. I'm on my third trip so far. I don't usually stay at Sheratons but this is the property that my client has an account with so I booked it.

Positives are the rooms that they have remodeled/refurbished. Just make sure you ask for those because the ones in the "old" part aren't up to standard. Wifi center is convenient and contemporary. Nice big TV in lobby for those wishing to use it. Beds are very comfortable and I get great sleeps...a must when on business. If you book the Club floor they serve a nice small buffet dinner in the Club Room. Food is good if you don't feel like going out, eating in the restaurant downstairs or don't have a car to go out. It has a TV and pleasant surrounding. People in general are all very nice and eager to help you and make your stay a good one. There's also a nice park you can walk or jog to on a path that is there alongside the road. Park is nice for some exercise. Their exercise room is small but good for some workout.

The biggest positive at this hotel is Nicholas Wagner. He is this property's best revenue builder. As the front desk supervisor, he is right on top of things and seeks to do everything he can to connect with new and repeat clients. I am enjoying my freshly made chocolate chip cookies as I write this which he had made in the kitchen and delivered to my room with a big glass of milk. if you're lucky, Nick will be on duty when you are here.

Certain things are inconsistent: the printer in the wifi area. It's a bit ridiculous system to get a document printed. Hopefully they'll make it possible to just hit print without filling out two pop up windows and enter in a code in this machine.

Location is not close to any shopping or places to walk around with the exception of the park which is a nice walk/jog.

Air conditioner is a bit too loud.

At times it seems there is only one person at the front desk and you have to wait for someone to be available.

Restaurant was beastly hot on my last visit and very stuffy.

Free shuttle not always available so book a month ahead of time if you can.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

We spent two nights at this Sheraton, and were pretty mixed about it. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from downtown Madison, but is NOT in the city itself. Location overall is pretty good though. This is an older property which has been recently renovated. Still, despite the renovations, it was obvious that the hotel still needed improvements (very slow elevators, small rooms, old bathrooms, older hallways).

Again, the room was very small, with barely enough room between the end of the bed and the desk to walk. Again, although the room had fresh wallpaper, paint, furnishings, and beddings, it was a tad below pretty average for a Sheraton. Free wifi in room which was sporadic, no ethernet connection.

Housekeeping was not great, on both nights of our stay we were given either one or no bath towels for some reason. Had to call several times to get any. Room could have been cleaned better.

Indoor pool looked nice and workout room was well appointed. Bar was just okay, breakfast buffet ($15) was actually very good with plenty of hot and cold selections. The hotel is pretty big, so parking was a bit of a pain on a Saturday night.

The best thing about the hotel is the service. All staff was very professional, helpful and accomodating. Front desk staff especially. Restaurant staff was friendly and fast. Everyone said hello if you walked past them in the hall.

Overall, not a bad hotel at all, but a little old with small rooms. However, staff friendliness and helpfulness make this place worth a stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is one of our favorite Sheratons in the Upper Midwest. Sometimes we'll drive 100-200 miles out of our way just to stay here. This Sheraton has a child-friendly swimming pool, which is long enough to do laps in too! The spa is relaxing.

The hotel has recently been completely renovated. The Club floor dining area feels like you are at home in a thoroughly updated and sophisticated family room, complete with artistic wall accents. The cold and hot food selections are arranged on a granite counter top and are delicious!

The Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired restaurant is a hidden gem; when conventions are not in full session, as we experienced on this trip, it seems like you have the entire restaurant to yourself, since it can be so quiet and scenic, looking out at the green leaves in the nearby forest through the picture windows.

In your room, you can enjoy perhaps the best flat-screen HDTV experience in the Sheraton system. The menu selection for movies is state-of-the-art. If you pause momentarily, a preview automatically starts, without having to press any buttons! It is the easiest selection process I've ever seen!

The staff, from the front desk to the restaurant staff to the executive suite, are extremely friendly, professional and attentive to your every need! They are outstanding! That's why I proudly say that the entire staff treats you like family--only better! And this is precisely why we always look forward to staying at this Sheraton!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

I used to tell myself that the Sheraton was worth it. It's not close to the center of the city, it's certainly old, and the food's not great. I stayed here for two months. During this time I did encounter the occasional not-so-clean room, spiders, missing towels, thin walls with noisy neighbors, cranky front desk staff (in the evenings) and hard to find power outlets. They also do not really recognize or appreciate SPG members. I stayed there 4 nights a week, you'd think they'd help me out. Sure, it has it's pluses - the lounge, the Starbucks, the shuttle (and drivers).

I stayed at two other hotels in the area - the Concourse and the Hyatt. I'd definitely go back to the Hyatt in the blink of an eye (it was amazing!). The Concourse is alright.

Bottomline: meh. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night during our great upper-midwest roadtrip. Originally, we were supposed to stay in a different hotel in Milwaukee that evening. However, at some point in the late afternoon we realized that there was no way we were going to make it to Milwaukee that night. So, we cancelled our original reservation and ended up booking our stay at the Sheraton Madison at the last minute through hotels.com.
Upon arrival, I was greeted cordially by the front desk staff and just going by my impression of the lobby, I was pleased and felt that we had made a good choice. However, it turned out that there had been a bit of a snafu with our reservation. The hotel was comepletely booked and apparently the room that had shown as available through hotels.com was actually one of the few remaining rooms under renovation and should not have shown on hotels.com as available. My heart sank. I was so worried that we would end up being shuffled off to some other less satisfactory hotel. However, the front desk staff had us take a seat in the lobby and after a few minutes came over with the front desk mananger and informed us they they were having one of the recently recarpeted rooms made up for us and apologized several times for the inconvenience (even though it was likely not their fault). All of the front desk staff that we interacted with were friendly, proffessional, efficient, and truly understood the meaning of customer service as applied to the hospitality industry. I was very impressed with their efficiency in solving this problem. Particularly that of the front desk manager (I wish I could remember his name - I meant to make note of it). They even had a complimentery bottle of wine sent to our room as an apology for the incident.
The room itself had obviously just been put together for us (some things weren't even plugged in.) However, the decor was lovely, the room was very clean, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on in a hotel. Room service was prompt and quite good. Also, The water pressure in the shower was impressive and the shower head was set high enough that my 6' tall husband was able to shower comfortably. We were very happy with our stay and would happily stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Aachen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

My stay in the Sheraton Hotel in Madison was absolute warm and excellent serviced. As I The hotel staff at the reception was the best I have ever seen. I had to face a few problems concerning my ongoing trip and the staff, especially Nicholas Wagner, were very helpful to assist and finally solve the problems. I took a big effort to do so, but he for hours he was helping me out, I am so thankful.

Despite of that, the rooms are comfortable and exclusive, nothing negative to say at all. Fast free internet access was available in the rooms and at PCs in the lobby. The conference rooms were nicely equipped.
Very handy is the hotels shuttle service, going from 7 am to 9 pm, because the hotel is not directly located in the city centre.

So I can definitely recommend the hotels to any other guests!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business