“Lost me as a guest”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2010

This was the 2nd time I stayed here - and to be honest - I really liked the hotel. I am a platinum member at Starwood, and always try to stay at Starwood properties. The problem is that the Sheraton lost my trust - not only in this hotel specifically, but as a result of their response to me - Starwood altogether. I left a personal item behind. Yes. I am stupid for leaving it. But I realized it as soon as I was at the airport and called the hotel immediately. I was assured that it would be found and locked away for safekeeping until they could return it to me. I called back the very next day only to be told they didn't have it. Knowing that I left it on the bedside table, I know the item was stolen by someone on their staff. To make matters worse ( and I am completely disappointed in them in their response), they said "We are not responsible for items left behind." Ugh. All I can think is, fine... you're not responsible for my property, but you are responsible for your employees... the only ones with access to the room. I am truly sad about this. I really can't believe after all the nights I have stayed with this hotel group, and after being a loyal customer for so many years, that they could care less about this situation. Simply put, if you can't trust the place where you sleep, you can't sleep.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
SheratonMadison, Director of Operations at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2010

We are happy to report that this issue was solved the morning after the author of this post initially contacted our front desk. The personal item had been found by a member of our housekeeping team and it was immediately taken to the lost and found where it was locked away because of its value. The next morning when our Front Office Manager learned of the previous nights phone call she retrieved the item and called the guest immediately. It was sent to the guest that same day. Our Front Office Manager received a thank you email from the guest for her prompt attention to the matter. At the Sheraton Madison Hotel we greatly appreciate all feedback and hope to resolve every guest concern in a timely and appropriate fashion.

Reviewed March 26, 2010

My fiance was on a business trip so I tagged along with him for the week. Upon our late night arrival we were greeted by Nicholas. He was very pleasant & checked us in very fast. However we were not impressed with the day shift front desk employees. They weren't always the firendliest.

Our second night there we met Brian at the bar he made me this awesome drink he called a snow cone. You gotta try it!! Tastes just like a blue rasberry snow cone. Brian knew that we would be there all week long so he instructed the other bar tenders how to make the snow cone drink just in case I came back to the bar later in the week. The next night my fiance & I walked into the bar and was greeted by Josephine what a sweet lady when I told her that Brian had made me a drink the night before she said oh yes Briain told me you would be coming in. Staff like that really makes your stay worthwhile.

I would suggest using the complimentary shuttle. The shuttle was nice to have take us to dinner & pick us up. I used them a lot during the day to take me to & from the attractions. Our favorite driver was Pauley. Very nice, funny and really knows his city and great places to eat.

On the annoying side...our room keys would not work half of the time. Every other day I had to go to the front desk and have them re-programmed. The staff said I should rub them on my shirt, hold the door handle down etc. I did't feel that I should have to massage my key & kiss it to make my door to my room open. This was very annoying & should have been corrected the first time we complained. I suggest they get there key sensors fixed ASAP.

Over all our stay was great. What made this stay great were the people listed in this review that went above & beyond normal customer service.

1  Thank AnytimeTraveler29
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Had the "Tom Jones" suite. Sweet! Modern spacious warm, two baths, a great bed and bedroom and actual water pressure in the shower. So many suites are cold and impersonal and tired. Love the orange shampoo. Breakfast downstairs first-rate. The help? Wish I could have this property's staff at every Sheraton. You can tell they care and enjoy taking care of their customers.

Reviewed March 3, 2010

I've stayed at this Sheraton many times when travelling to Madison for business, and I'm always impressed with the high level of service and great attitude I get from the staff immediately on check-in. The hotel has a great looking lobby with lots of updates that makes you feel you great about the place you will be staying.

The rooms are very nicely furnished with Sheraton signature bedding, LCD Tvs, and marble counters in the bathrooms.

As for the location, it really isn't that far from downtown if you take John Nolen further into the city... I was able to get to the Capitol building in about 7 mintues. Or, you can just stay at the hotel and grab a drink at the bar downstairs.

Enjoy your time here; I certainly do!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I'm a member of Starwood's SPG program and this is the only starwood hotel in town. I stayed in this hotel for the first time last year. Since then I've returned 4 or 5 times- my daughter goes to the University of Wisconsin and I stay at the Sheraton whenever I visit.

All of my ideas about the Sheraton hotels being "low class" and "dingy" were changed by the Sheraton in Madison.
The rooms are clean and comfortable though there is nothing special about them, except for the all white bedding.

The gym is small but has everything that I needed. The indoor pool is good for a winter swim.

The hotel has a sit down restaurant and a bar/lounge. It's best to skip the restaurant and go right to the bar. In the bar you have the option of eating off the bar menu and the restaurant menu.

The coffee in the room isn't very good but this Sheraton has a Starbucks in the lobby!

The employees are friendly and helpful:
Paul is a knowledgable guy who drives the free shuttle the hotel has.
Alix is an awesome Batista who always makes me the perfect mocha.
Connie and Carolina at the front desk have solved my problems a few times.
Kate is an excellent bartender who introduced me about my favorite local beer- Spotted Cow.
Greg in the club lounge is always fun and helped me plan a few daddy daughter weekends that were, in my daughter's words, "totally cool".

Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stay at the Sheraton Madison at least one week out of a month and the service is amazing. Vickie and Greg do a wonderful job in the club lounge and Jo Jo in the bar is the best... I look forward to my stays. I really love the bed and the new bedding. Thank you. The only thing I can say about improvement was the bathroom this trip was not as clean as is usually is. I'm sure this will be addressed.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed December 14, 2009

The hotel is nice and modern with a huge front lobby, a large pool/sauna/hot tub area and a decent sized gym. Our room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. It's located on the outskirts of the city, so you have to cab or drive to the campus and city center.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple