“Good location, Nice rooms, terrible food!”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here on a few occasions, rooms are nice and clean ,comfortable bed and decent bathroom. I like to use the gym, it feels pretty dirty and I don't think it's a priority when it comes to cleaning. Really lovely lady who works in Starbucks who will do anything for you, wish I remembered her name but she is awesome! If you are a member and can eat in the concierge lounge the food is pretty good however if you are not find somewhere else to eat.
Restaurant lets the place down...probably the worst food I have ever eaten and I tried it on a few occasions in case I was being too harsh BUT it truly is the most terrible food I've ever been served!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Louise S
Brian J, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your detailed response. I want to apologize that we failed to meet your expectations of our hotel; your experience is certainly not what we want our guests to remember. I will be sure your comments are addressed with the appropriate department managers to ensure better service for all of our guests. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Starbucks coffee shop and the barista. I hope the next time your travels bring you to Madison you consider staying with us again; I know we will exceed your expectations.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have had guests stay at this hotel for several years and it recently completed a major renovation and they did an incredible job. We had a room on the 8th floor which was very quiet and comfortable. The pool and whirlpool were first rate. The waitstaff in the restaurant were outstanding and the breakfast buffet has to be the best value anywhere. From first checkin to leaving everything was first rate and you could tell the staff was trained to please the customer. As a Platinum at Starwood, you can tell when a hotel is first rate. Well done Madison Sheraton!!!

Room Tip: The Sunday breakfast buffet for 8.95 was truly incredible and the best value in Madison!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for such an amazing review. It sounds like you and your guests truly experience the true Sheraton standards that we hold ourselves to while you are here, with the hospitable friendly staff, the wonderful food and the comfortable rooms. We appreciate your feedback and your recommendation to our hotel for your guests. Thank you for being a loyal SPG member and come visit again soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Spent a couple of nights visiting on a family trip at the Sheraton, have stayed at the property a number of times in the past and this was the best visit. We used Hotwire for the room, and some places treat you less hospitably for using the pre-paid services I have found. Including upcharging for any type of room change. When we arrived, we were originally put into a King room, but there were 3 of us and the clerk immediately recognized that a two bed room was more appropriate and not only immediately made the change but also asked if we would like a room farther away from the elevators and my wife also asked for a high floor. The clerk complied with both requests, and even put us on the 6th floor which is a floor that is normally reserved for members of the Sheraton travel club (although 6 is for elite). The room was very nice, and appeared to have been updated recently. The beds and bedding were very comfortable, the bathroom was decked out well also, and a few other perks were in the room such as bottled water. The room had a nice flatscreen TV, an extra chair and table along with a big desk and office chair. We used the pool and spa and enjoyed both. There is a small but very serviceable exercise area also.

We had a few drinks in the bar, and they have a good selection of local beers, along with a nice wine list and provide nice snacks (love the wasabi peas). The bartenders were friendly and talkative which we enjoyed.

Check-out went smooth and easy.

What could have been better? The breakfast buffet was not good, and they charge you $3 for any beverage which is a huge rip-off. It was pretty cold in the commons areas and the lounge. Free wi-fi would bring them into the 21st century also, along with fridges and microwaves in the rooms.

Overall, it was a really good trip for us and we would return to the Sheraton in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: higher floors facing the road seem the best.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave A

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us and found all of our amenities to be a perk. It is wonderful that our front desk staff was able to upgrade you to our SPG floor as well. Overall I am happy that you enjoyed the Sheraton and look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here recently for a couple of nights. The rooms are large and roomy. Its not one of those kind of hotels where your bed is so large that you bump into other furniture when you walk around. My room had a king size bed and I still had enough room to move around freely. The bathroom and shower were very nice with good water pressure and temperature. And their bed was truly heavenly.

The front desk staff were very friendly and took their time to answer my questions, especially Liz, who was super friendly. They offer a shuttle ride at no charge to local restaurants within a 2 or 3 mile radius.

The hotel also offers airport pickup and drop off between the hours of 7am - 11pm. If you arrive or depart outside of those hours they are helpful to call you a taxi and the ride to the airport isn't too far. If you arrive within the time of 7am - 11pm and they don't have a shuttle available, they will pay for the taxi ride.

The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars is because their wireless coverage was intermittent and that was a little frustrating for me as I was traveling on business. I kept getting poor reception and perhaps an upgrade of their wireless equipment is in order?

In summary, I'd have to say that this was a very pleasant stay and I'd certainly stay at this hotel if I was to travel to Madison again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the high floors and perhaps away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank chandsa
Brian J, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for such a great review. I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations of our hotel from the complimentary shuttle service to the comfort of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and rooms. Thank you for your comments regarding the internet connection, we are looking into increasing our connection strength for the satisfaction of all of our guests. We look forward to your next visit!

Best wishes,

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms, comfy bed. Nice restaurant and bar, good pool and hot tub. Great location close to downtown Madison. The only thing that could improve the stay would be having fridges and microwaves in the rooms. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Brian J, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for a positive response and for the helpful feedback. I am happy to hear that you noticed the cleanliness of our guest rooms and that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. I’m glad that you were also able to use all of the hotel amenities while you stayed with us. Next time you’re here, feel free to ask the front desk for a fridge; we have them available upon request and for a small cost. We look forward for your next visit!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Location: As Madison residents with several out-of-town guests, we needed a location that could accommodate a large number of people in an easy to navigate location. The Sheraton was perfect. Plenty of room, even with 300+ guests, and easy to get to. And, lots of our out-of-town guests came in a few nights early and took the free shuttle to downtown.

Overall Service: We cannot say enough good things about the staff at the Sheraton. Lauren and Jeff are both outstanding. Lauren is extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and accommodating; our meetings with her were extremely helpful in creating an amazing reception. The staff are very polite, efficient, and talented. It seemed that everything ran as a fine-tuned machine – plates came out at the perfect rate, and transitions were flawless – but, at the same time, you almost didn't notice they were there. Serving perfection.

A quick note on value: Yes, a wedding is pricey. But, every dollar we spent at the Sheraton was WELL WORTH IT. The amount of praise we received from our guests was unbelievable, and, if given the opportunity to do it all over, we would do it exactly the same way.

Congratulations to the staff at the Sheraton for creating such an unbelievable experience for their guests. Well done.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WCF_17

Thank you for such a detailed and positive response! I am so happy to hear that we made your wedding reception perfect in all aspects. Lauren is definitely a valued asset to our Sheraton team. I’m pleased to hear that her knowledge and passion made your wedding reception that much more wonderful. Our banquets team is also passionate about making important nights like yours memorable. I’m happy to hear that they too exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for your positive feedback and for choosing to stay with us.

General manager

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with cash and points last night. I'm already writing a review this morning because our stay was so incredible. We picked this hotel because we have a dog and they allow them at this property. A little hesitant to arrive with our 130-pound Great Dane, we walked in and were immediately greeted with warm welcomes from everyone. All of the staff were so friendly ... especially the gentleman checking us in. We received top-notch service from him. He upgraded us to a suite, and then when he learned that we had a dog with us, instead of shoving us in a dog room, he upgraded us to an executive suite to give us more room! And, to top it off, we got access to the club lounge for free as a courtesy. I didn't ask for any of these items ... we were treated like royalty! The free Wi-Fi was an added bonus.

Great location, super clean, and incredibly friendly staff everywhere we turned! Thank you, Sheraton Madison, for making this one of our best-ever stays!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your gracious and detailed post. I am very pleased to hear that our front office team greeted you with warmth and welcome. Our furry friends are always welcome too! I’m happy to hear that our front office agent upgraded you to an executive suite along with the club lounge access. We always strive to surprise and “wow” our guests while they are staying with us. Next time you are in Madison please come back to the Sheraton so we can make another memorable impression!