“Really Impressed”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I ended up booking this because the Hilton was full. I am really pleased with the hotel in all facets really. I'm travelling on business, so dont need much. The restaurant is open all day. Food is decent for a couple days stay. Not too many options if you're here for a long time. The service was great as well.

The front desk was friendly and had me checked in quickly. They accomadated me with a late checkout to 2pm. AND they have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere. I had to wait a little bit a couple times, but it's free, so overall a nice bonus.

Rooms are very clean and beds are comfortable.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonTeam, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful response! We really try to impress all of our guests and it sounds like we achieved that with you. It is great that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle! And I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your request for a late check-out. I hope you stay with us again!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I recently completed an overnight stay at the Sheraton Madison. Checking-in, the staff was efficient, if not particularly warm. The room with two double beds was average in size but nevertheless well-maintained. Even though the room was located right by the elevators, there was no considerable noise from the hallway. Checking out, the staff was again efficient but not overly friendly.

The hotel has its advantages with its free Wi-Fi and free (and plentiful) parking, but could use improvement in its soft product and presentation to become a standout choice in the Madison area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that our hotel generally exceeded your expectations. I’m happy that you appreciated our parking situation; our generous amount of complementary parking is a well-recognized perk of staying at the Sheraton Madison. I will definitely pass along your input on improving the soft product and presentation of our hotel. We recently renovated the lobby and media areas of the hotel, and we are always looking for ideas for other renovations throughout the hotel. Thank you again, and I hope you stay with us again next time you visit Madison.

Best wishes,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

From the moment the FREE shuttle picked us up at the airport to the minute we left the hotel, we had such a great experience at this hotel. Few things to highlight: 1) The shuttle drivers were so pleasant and friendly and it was awesome to not have to take cabs all night. In fact, one night we called for the shuttle but the driver was sick, so the Sheraton called us a cab and PAID for it. What hotel does that??? 2) Extremely clean 3) The club level breakfast is nice but the evening apps are just ok. The free water, soda and coffee around the clock is a nice perk 4) Beds are very comfortable. There was only one negative about the hotel...The shower head is really low, so if you are over 5"10" you will have to duck down to wash your hair, which was not fun at all. Other than that, HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The club level was really nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for the great review and recommendation! I am happy that we were able to exceed your expectations of our hotel. It is great that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle and the perks of the SPG club lounge. Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. We look forward to exceeding your expectations again soon.

Best Wishes,

Katie Johnson
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This Sheraton sits about a mile or so outside of downtown Madison. Its easy access to Lake Monona. I took a run along the shore. I found the rooms very well appointed and comfortable. Had everything I needed, included free wireless. Lobby is nicely arranged for getting some work done. Restaurant in hotel has friendly service. I only ate breakfast there but the food came quickly and was good. In hotel bar was small but cozy with good service. Has all the local brews. Seems like lots of other biz people there, like myself.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

What a wonderful review! I am happy to hear that the Sheraton was the perfect place for you while you were in Madison for business! We take great pride in the hospitable staff we have working here, I am glad that you enjoyed their company. It is great that you had a relaxing comfortable experience with us and we look forward to showing you another great one next time you are in town!

Katie Johnson
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here about eight times over the past three years, and we've almost always been happy with our choice. The staff is very friendly and accommodating; the rooms are very clean; the location is convenient to downtown Madison via car or bike. It's awesome to have free wifi, although I could see why some people have difficulty with it. Any dissatisfaction I have is relatively trivial... There used to be an issue with the keycards, but I am happy to report that the new keycard readers work perfectly. There are usually kids stampeding around the pool and hot tub area, which is pretty par for the course, but I wish a little bit more attention could be paid to the hazardous puddles that tend to accumulate everywhere. I don't love the quality of the restaurant or the club lounge breakfast offerings, but I think they are probably pretty standard for a Sheraton, so no real complaints there. As SPG Gold members we were supposed to be offered an upgrade at check-in, if it was available, but nobody at the front desk knew what we were talking about when we asked. I can't speak to the retail cost of the rooms, but the SPG points value is very good. Overall, after staying here regularly over the course of several years, I think it is a very decent choice if you need a hotel in the Madison area; it's a good representative of the Sheraton brand; and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Go for the club level if you have the option.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SheratonTeam, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I appreciate your recommendation to our hotel and am pleased that we are your hotel of choice while staying in Madison. I am sincerely sorry that you were not offered an upgrade during your last stay with us. I will be sure our Front desk is offering the upgrades when available for our Gold and Platinum SPG members. Overall I am happy that you continue to choose the Sheraton while you are in Madison and I know we will continue to exceed your expectations!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Booked this trip on Hotwire and paid under 70.00 for the room. I guess this means that you get the noisy room with a view of the heating/cooling systems on the 2nd floor room for this rate. Beds looked nice, but knew were were in for a rough night when my 6 year old said the bed was hard. She was right. Bedding was nice, but the mattress was way too firm. Also sheets kept coming lose from the bottom of the bed. Doors slam loudly into hallway and were a bit distracting. Had to call the office about a dog barking in the room across the hall around 9. Dog woke us up after 11 and one other time during the night. Cooling system in the room was very loud and had to keep the fan on all night because the sound of the air kicking in woke the kids up. Ordered room service, kids were very happy with their meal (pizza and chicken fingers). The only table in the room where the kids ate had a very loose table top which would not allow for any drinks to sit on it as it was not stable enough. I ordered the ww pasta which was awful (pasta had been cooked and sat out long enough to become crunchy and then was swimming in flavorless oil). Looks like the hotel has seen better days despite on the surface looking as though they have done some updates. Staff were polite, but would never stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Brian J, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I want to apologize that we failed to meet your expectations of our hotel. It is clear that you did not experience the true Sheraton standards that we intend all of our guests to have. Please know that we treat all of our guests equally and do not have any designated rooms for any guests. We take great pride in our hotel and the many amenities that we offer. I will be sure our Chief Engineer is aware of the table that was in your room to ensure it is fixed and sturdy for all future guests in house. We do have security on at night to help monitor for any noise or complaints, I apologize that we failed to do this with the dog barking at night. We will take all of our comments and use them as a learning opportunity, our Chief Engineer is looking at how we can improve the slamming of the guest room doors to decrease noise in the hallway and we are making sure there is a manager that walks the halls at night to eliminate any noise.

I will pass on your specific comments regarding the food to our Executive Chef, this is certainly not the feedback we want with our food or hotel and therefore we are working to improve all necessary areas of the hotel to ensure complete satisfaction from all of our guests. I hope you consider staying with us again in the future, I know we will exceed your expectations and show you the true Sheraton standards we hold ourselves so high to. Please feel free to contact me directly if your travels bring you back to Madison.

Brian Johnson

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel for the past couple of weeks and it's a very nice Starwood property. Great location, parking is easy, restaurant and bar is convenient.

The noise in the hallways is almost unbearable however. One constantly hears doors slamming and people talking.
I was woken up almost every night during my stays over the last 3 weeks due to this. A real shame for such a nice hotel. The poor design of the room doors is especially unnerving, they close very loudly. You would have thought this would have part of the recently completed renovation. Don't stay here if you're expecting a peaceful night sleep!

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I appreciate you choosing the Sheraton while you are in town and am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our many amenities like the complimentary parking, location and our bar and restaurant! I do want to apologize however for the inconvenience with the noise in the hallway. Please know we are taking your comments and looking into how we can improve our doors from slamming as well as making sure a manager is walking the halls frequently to ensure all of our guests are quiet in the hallways.

I appreciate you staying at the Sheraton and hope we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Brian Johnson