“BIG fail”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bellingham, Washington
“BIG fail”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I booked my room on Priceline. Perhaps this hotel reserves some "budget" rooms for people who book through discount sites, because my room was a dive, which is totally out of keeping with the 3 1/2 star rating and most people's reviews. My tub sprayed rusted metal shavings into the tub water; the toilet had black grease streaks down the back of it (picture attached), the ceiling texturing was peeling off in strips, the sheets had yellow stains, the coffee maker was broken, and the kicker for me was NO HAIR DRYER. These problems were all noticed late as we were readying for bed and we did not want to change rooms. I did report the issues in the morning when we checked out, and although the staff was apologetic, they did not offer a solution.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gwenakinyi
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate honest comments that enable us to continually strive for guest satisfaction. We do provide a hair dryer in every room, I apologize that you did not receive one. We will be reviewing your comments in detail to ensure what you experienced does not happen again. We value your feedback and I hope that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Jason Havey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here for one night for a conference at the university. While I was pleasantly surprised by the updated lobby and public spaces (their website even touts the updated hallways?), I can not say my room reflected the same care. The showerhead was below my head (& I'm only 5'8") and the hot water was touch-and-go. The drain was very slow and the toilet barely worked - the morning I left, it stopped flushing at all - I had to open the tank and pull it by hand! The walls were also paper thin - I could hear word-for-word conversations going on in the room across the hall! In short, stay at the Clarion if you need to be at the Alliant Energy Center; stay closer to town if you need to be downtown. If they upgrade the rooms to match the public spaces, this could be a nice hotel, but at the moment, it is WAY overrated - 3 1/2 star lobby; 2 1/2 star rooms!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank malloyprof
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
I am truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations of our hotel. We are taking another look at our rooms to ensure any problems that can be prevented are addressed promptly. We are also looking into refreshing any dated areas. It is never good when a guest is faced with an unpleasant situation especially in their rooms. I hope the next time you are in Madison you will give us the chance to show you the true Sheraton standards we hold ourselves to.

Best Wishes,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is a hotel with a reasonable location. It is not the best location as it is not within walking distance to State Street and downtown, but it is a very short drive.
Typical large hotel, nice lobby but no concierge. Good pool, but rooms are outdated, peeling wallpaper, relatively thin walls that let too much noise get through. If you get a good deal, it is worth it, but certainly not full price, as is the case for most Sheraton hotels.

Room Tip: Take higher level floors.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your specific comments regarding the condition of the rooms are very helpful and will be addressed right away. I hope to see you next time you are in Madison.

donegal
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed for five nights at the Sheraton Madison to attend the world Clydesdale show at the Alliant energy Centre. The location was excellent just across the road from the show. The hotel was very comfortable and the staff very helpful and friendly. Madison is a beautifull city with a town like feel , very relaxed and laid back and loads of cycling paths with beautifull scenery and amazing views over the lake. The farmers market on a Saturday is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Stay on the club level to get access to the VIP lounge
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience in Madison with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel as well as the hospitable staff we have working here. You truly experienced the true Sheraton standards we hold ourselves to.

Hope to see you next year for the Clydesdale show!

Take care,

Winnipeg
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed on the Club Floor and the breakfast was better than expected. Our room was large and clean, the bed was very comfortable, and I especially appreciated the large counter space in the bathroom.
We happened to be at this hotel during their busiest week (World Dairy) so the front staff were understandably overrun.
Pool area was quiet and we enjoyed the hot tub.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
I am so glad to hear that you had a very relaxing and comfortable stay here. It is great that you were able to take advantage of the VIP club lounge. I hope to see you back again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stay at a lot of SPG Hotels and this one was just OK. My room kind of had the after smell of smoke and it was on the club floor.

The club floor lounge, again, was just OK... Nothing spectacular. But, the staff at the hotel was really friendly.

The city isn't in walking distance, but a very short drive or the hotel has a free shuttle if you plan on drinking some adult beverages.

All in all... Just ok.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank AlwaysSomewhereNew
Our goal with all of our guests is to exceed their expectations, I want to apologize that this was not the case for you. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback , we are a 100% smoke free facility so I do apologize that your room did smell like smoke, this will be addressed and fixed for all future guests. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful and I hope we have the pleasure of having you as a guest again so we can exceed your expectations next time around.

Best wishes,

Warwick, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Got a Priceline special on a recent business trip for this property in Madison. Very comfortable room, nice bed, nice TV, good service, easy parking, free internet.

Recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for your positive comments, I’m glad that you found your room to be so comfortable and that you were able to relax in our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds. It sounds like your business trip went well and I hope to see you the next time you are in Madison.