“Great Location - Good Service!”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location - Good Service!”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We spent a nice weekend in Madison and the Sheraton Madison was a perfect choice. Very centrally located (took 10 minutes to drive downtown or anywhere we wanted to go), free WiFi, fast check in and checkout and good service makes this a top contender for when we come back anytime. The parking lot is a bit small as previous reviewers have said but we were able to find parking without any hassle.

Got upgraded on check in due to SPG status, room was a bit old but on the SPG floor, close to the elevator and the ice machine and very clean and comfortable.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone on any type of trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for a wonderful review! It is great that we were able to exceed your expectations and that you were able to take advantage of our many amenities we have to offer. I look forward to your next visit.

John Archibald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Hastings, Minnesota
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Stayed at the Sheraton for a few days when I was in Madison for Epic training and I have to say the hotel was clean, rooms were nice and staff was very friendly and helpful. The shuttle I took to and from Epic was prompt and drivers we good. Although a few runs to and from Epic would have been helpful due to the scattered times people were done, it got me to and from training without having to worry about driving.

If you don't plan on leaving the hotel at all for meals then the VIP lounge was a good value. I only used it once because I thought I'd check out what else Madison had to offer but was very impressed with the dinner and breakfast I did have. A salmon rice dish, with a mini salad bar and a big cheese spread was a very satisfying meal and I could grab a soda/water anytime of the day or night without an extra charge.

The only thing I think they could improve on is the wireless Internet connection. It was very slow and my connection kept on cutting out when I connected in my room. It was sufficient for checking email but not much beyond.

1 Thank JustinWestman
I am so glad you were able to enjoy yourself while here for work. Our Club Lounge is a great amenity, I am glad you enjoyed it. We are in the process of upgrading our wireless to help fit the needs of our valued guests; this should be implemented by August. I hope to see you again soon.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed May 9, 2011

We were in town for a friend's wedding. All of our friends were staying up by the Capitol and paying $160 a night, but I got a great deal on the Sheraton and decided to save some money. We checked in around 3 on a Saturday afternoon, dropped our bags, and then headed immediately back to the wedding festivities. (We took the shuttle, which was a nice feature.)

We did not return back to our room until 130 that morning. That is when I discovered the huge, dirty spider webs all over the room. Clearly visible and evident that no one is cleaning. (not just the small ones, big big ones!) It really makes it clear that while they may clean the bedsheets, is that all that is cleaned?

I did not shower in the bathroom or spend a lot of time in there but the ceiling panels were getting orange and rusty. Not the worst, but not great.

Also, the lobby and second floor entrance to the ballroom was nice, but our rooms were through a door and was kind of scary. My fiance said "this kind of looks like a hallway in a horror movie!" There were no windows and random chairs sitting in the hallway with some trash. It was very dark and gloomy.

The woman who checked us in was very helpful. There seemed to be lots of guests and activity. I can't say it was an awful stay, but I wanted to mention the unappealing hallway and spider webs. I should have mentioned it at the front desk when we checked out, but since I paid for the room on Priceline, I am not sure what could have been done anyway. We weren't in the room long enough either.

I love Madison and will be back and will consider the Sheraton again, but wanted to share. Hopefully you can get a great deal too!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
I am sincerely sorry about the condition of your room. Please know we take your comments very seriously and I am very embarrassed that your room was not up to the Sheraton standards we hold ourselves to. I have personally addressed this with our Housekeeping Manager; please know we follow a very strict policy with cleaning and inspecting each room. I appreciate your comments and hope you consider the Sheraton on your next visit to Madison.

Redcliff
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We had a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know.

The hotel offers free parking and there are a couple of computers with free internet access that you can use in the lobby area. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was super comfortable just like at any Sheraton. The washroom was large and there was good shower pressure with lots of hot water (Again, like at any Sheraton). It`s everything that you would expect except for the free parking.

The hotel is a great choice for anyone going to the Alliant Energy Center since it`s within walking distance.

We will definitely stay here again if we are in Madison.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
I am so glad we were able to exceed your expectations. It is nice to have that sense of belonging when you’re traveling; I am happy that you were comfortable here and were able to experience the true Sheraton Standards. Thanks for the great comments, I hope you can make it back to Madison; we would love to have you again.

Best Wishes,

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We were very disappointed with the service we received at this hotel. They advertise a free shuttle over to the convention center but the whole time we there Nd went back and forth and paid parking we never were able to get it. They told us it took 15 to 20 min to drive there and it was faster to walk. It took us 3 minutes to drive there and about 10 mins to walk.we would have walked the whole time but it was very cold and windy so we just drove and paid to park. They also added a food charge to the room that was not ours and the front desk had an attitude about it. They also ended up adding an extra night charge when we returned which I did get removed hopefully. They gave me another attitude because I had reserved the night and called to cancel but did not have the cancellation number.Other Sheratons I have stayed at have had much better service!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, your comments mean a lot to us. I want to apologize that we failed to meet your expectations of our hotel. I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I have passed on your comments regarding the service you received to the appropriate department managers. We will take this as a learning opportunity to improve our service for future guests. Thank you again and I hope you consider the Sheraton Madison with your future travels.

Reviewed April 15, 2011

I have stayed at the Sheraton Madison every week for the last 3 months. It definitely has been great and the staff make an effort to go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

The breakfast in the club lounge is also much better than other Madison Hotels. Katie and Vicki manage the breakfast service and they are very friendly and accommodating. I look forward to future stays at this hotel!

Sean Courser

Room Tip: 6th floor executive rooms are a nice upgrade to rm
Dear Sean,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staffs willingness to go out of their way to make our guests stay enjoyable. I am glad that you have chosen our hotel to stay at and look forward to your future visits. The breakfast in our club lounge is a great treat, I am glad you are able to enjoy not only the food but the great staff as well. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to Vicki and Katie.

Calfiornia
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I am a Starwood member and have always been treated well at Sheratons. Not here. They have so many things that don't go well in so many different areas you have to wonder about the leadership. I stayed here last week and again returned. It got worse.

They say they have a restaurant but it is often closed and they serve you in the bar. Ok, not so bad. But the bartenders turned waiters are playing out of position. There were three of us there last week. They brought us the wrong drink, an appetizer we did not order, and two wrong entrees.

This week there was no soap in my room (which I did not notice until I was getting into the shower). The hotel should have a checklist, not the client!

They advertise a shuttle but beware. There is only one. It must be reserved and they say you cannot do so until you check in. But even that varies by front desk clerk. Our shuttle driver dropped us off at Epic in Verona at 8 am and we arranged with him to pick us up at 5:15. At 5:30 there was no shuttle. I called the front desk manager who explained to me that it was my mistake. I had to sign up for it at the desk and the shuttle was already reserved for that time. My fault! I told him what I thought of that and he finally offered me a cab at the hotel's expense. Then we ran into the other three people who were also stranded. One of them said the desk manager "yelled " at her and did not offer to pay for a taxi.

Our cab driver told us everybody knows not to stay there, and that a woman checked out last week and told him to take her to any other hotel.

So go here only if you want the wrong drink, the wrong food, no soap and if you want to be stranded and then blamed for bein so stupid as to strand yourself.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
SheratonMadison, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. Certainly this is not the experience we want you to have or the memory we hope to create. Thank you for your detailed review of your visit, I really appreciate it and think our hotel can learn and grow from it. We take full responsibility for the mix up with the shuttle pick-up. I have spoken with the managers involved regarding your concerns to ensure this issue does not occur in the future.

I would appreciate the opportunity to show you the true Sheraton standards we hold ourselves to and for the chance to regain your confidence in our hotel. Thank you again for your comments.