“Stench on 3rd floor”

Ranked #59 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Hurley,Wisconsin
“Stench on 3rd floor”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We checked in August 9th for 2 nights. After about 45 minutes and 3 clerks we got a room on the 3rd floor. We noticed a seedy young lady in the parking lot when we parked and got out our luggage. As we neared our room on the 3rd floor we noticed an overwhelming stench in the hall. Thinking the hall was the problem we entered our room only to find the smell was worse inside. I went back to the office and did get another room on the 2nd floor. The smell wasn't as bad but we could still smell something as this room was right below the original. The uncleanliness of the motel, the professionalism of the staff and the type of clientele we met was totally unacceptable. Did I mention a man came up and told us he was trying to check in but all he had was a prison ID?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 05V-Rod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed November 6, 2011

It's at a good location next to Denny's and Hometown Buffet, and close to a dozen restaurants and the mall, even a Dollar Tree for needed items. Rooms have been clean for me although the pillows and towels are thin, and the elevator smells. They now have a security guard there who is very professional but they have him harassing and upsetting guests when its unnecessary. I got a loud "police knock" on my door at 2am telling me I had to leave due to having a visitor after 10pm. Then it changed to either I go or she goes, or police will be called. Ofcourse no room refund, $70, would be given. Then my visitor explained she was a registered guest from another room and the guard left politely after confirming that with the desk. I felt that disturbing a guest at 2am with eviction and 15 minutes of explaining and stress based on a suspicion, was overkill. We were not loud or anything, just half sleep in bed. I understand busting a "party in the room" with 8 youths drinking as minors. But a 2am "bust" on 2 sleeping adults? I will not stay again because I wouldn't feel completely relaxed another "mistake" could be made at 2am.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Mandarin76
Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have stayed here once or twice a year over the past 12 years, and while other motels I regularly visit have done some serious renovation, this one lags badly behind. A complete change of the bedding (so that it does not have stains or holes) and the carpeting (both in the rooms and hallways) would at least make a better impression and people may feel a lot better about their stay. That said, I have never had the problems many other reviewers have experienced, and the staff each year seems different, but have generally been polite and pleasant to deal with. Nevertheless, it desperately needs an upgrade. I think next year I'll try somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Bryan G
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I was going to have an early flight in the morning and I decided to stay at a hotel that was cheap and that was some what close to the airport. UGH!!! The man that checked me in was nice and polite. I went to the room, and when I shut my door it clearly stated 'For your safety, use the deadbold and chain'. That was my first clue. Then I took a look at the room. And I ran, ran really fast!!!
I went to the front desk and told him that I wanted a refund and I wanted to leave. He was apologetic. When he was doing the paperwork I noticed a sign that I didnt when I checked in, 'these premisess are pratoled on a regular basis with a K9 unit' I got the refund and RAN to my truck!
I strongly suggest not staying there! I will absolutly never stay at another Motel 6 in my life! That one was enough for me! You can keep your light on for someone else!!!

Room Tip: If you want a good scare, stay here!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank montanajourney
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed November 21, 2010

As unbelievable as it sounds, the front desk lady at this motel gave a homeless person a key to our room and he robbed us. She never apologized and the manager avoided us. Motel 6 still has not reimbursed us for our stolen posessions even though they have video footage or her doing so and records of cutting a new key and having him open our room. So, if you want to stay somewhere that doesn't even check your ID to hand out free keys, this is the place! Even if your experience isn't as bad as ours, the cop that was put onto our case said they are called over there regularly due to the drug use of people staying over there. Bottom line - don't stay here. I guarantee that any other motel would be better. We are still dealing with the hassle of trying to get compensated and trying to settle the courtcase.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Willow030
m61173bo, General Manager at Motel 6 Madison North, responded to this review, April 16, 2011
The employee that did this was terminated the next day
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I chose to stay at the Motel 6 in Madison due to its location to the highway and to the relative cheapness of the one night stay. I say this so you can keep in mind that I knew that it was not the 'nicest place.' I was in the room for a couple hours, after having left for a bite to eat when I went to throw something out and I spotted a dirty condom and wrapper in the trash. I called the manager on duty, Andy, and he didn't say anything when I explained what I found. He explained that he knew that the room had been cleaned because he heard the vacuum earlier that day. I only received an apology when I explained that I cannot believe that the room is clean if his standard of clean is a dirty condom in the room. He then went on to say that it is quite 'suspicious' that I had been in the room for 3 hours and only now I found the item. So, after being accused of being a liar and a tramp, I requested a refund and said that I would prefer to finish the last 5 hours of my 16 hour drive than to spend the night in the dirty hotel. Andy informed me that he needed to 'check out my room.' I was disgusted by the 'cleanliness' of the room and the unprofessional behavior of the manager. I also filled out a complaint form online at Motel 6.com of which did not seem to make an impact on the higher management of this corporation. Don't use Motel 6...there is getting what you paid for and then there are establishments that should just be shut down...like Motel 6!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank MmmCoffee88
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Please avoid this hotel. It is the single worst place I have ever checked in to. It is unkempt, loud, drug-riddled, and overflowing with prostitutes. I really felt a great saddness for those whose lives led them to this place. The frightening thing is: it doesn't look that bad from the exterior. Inside it is something of a Dickensian nightmare. There is no way that I would allow anyone I cared for to stay in such a place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family