“Great value, poor service, decent location”

Radisson Hotel Madison
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Great value, poor service, decent location”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for an event in the downtown area. The location is kind of out of the way, but I was pleased with the accommodations. The room was clean and updated. Breakfast is complimentary and very good. More than the typical hotel. My only complaint is the service standards. I am a hotel manager, and their front desk staff is very unhelpful. Unacceptable. We had someone enter our room in the middle of the night, and when I called the front desk they said that it wasn't a staff member, and left it at that. No concern. So, they gave someone a key to our room? That is a big no-no for hotels. In the morning, we woke up to find that someone smeared peanut butter all over our door handle. Again, front desk was called, but did not care and took no action. They didn't even send housekeeping to clean the mess, so we had to leave our door proped open all morning so we didn't touch the handle. They should really send their staff through customer service training. It would dramatically increase overall customer satisfaction.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank travelr0612
Jason S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Madison, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Sara, I am sorry to hear the staff was not more responsive. Customer service is our top priority, and we certainly strive for a higher standard. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our accommodations, and thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Superior
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is an older property, but has been updated. Exterior of the building looks older, but well kept. Interior has been updated. Rooms are well appointed with modern decor and quite comfortable. Rooms have all needed amenities including refrigerator. Downside is long interconnecting hallways that can be confusing, especially if your room is located on the other side of the building. Nice little pool area, however I never saw it actually being used. Possibly most people staying in the hotel were business travelers, but only saw it being cleaned, but no one ever in it. Lounge/restaurant had a nice atmosphere. However, I would not again order the same entree, I found the shrimp fettucinne alfredo to be very heavy and rich with limited flavor. Our business group was offered a complimentary happy hour and appetizers one evening, which was very nice. The appetizers were an assortment of cheeses, meats, and crackers, which were very tasty and who could ever refuse New Glarus Spotted Cow on tap!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review us online. I am glad to hear you had a good time at the reception. Your business is very much appreciated
Manhattan, Illinois
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Purposely chose this hotel to try out a sleep number bed. Definitely takes some getting used to. Hotel was fairly easy to get to from downtown, and close enough to make it worth the drive. Was delighted to find the hotel had modern décor and furnishings. Was disappointed the restaurant was closed for dinner on Sunday nights, but other casual eateries were within walking distance, and a Chinese buffet across the street. Pool looked inviting, though did not try. Room was comfortable, with a small refrigerator. Restaurant was open for breakfast. It was a plentiful buffet and to our surprise, free, as that was not listed as an amenity. Looked like a nice lounge. Had to go back east through Madison to the interstate, and going east was a lot better then what was seen coming west into Madison. Overall, very satisfied with hotel and location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend for her Ironman Wisconsin race. When we got into our room, we discovered it was a two double room instead of a king room. When we inquired at the front desk, they informed us they were fully booked and that was all that was available. This was annoying, but we've slept in separate beds before. Plus she was going to need good sleep before the race. The room itself was nothing special. We had a mini-fridge, which was a plus and one of the reasons we picked the hotel as my wife needed items to stay cold so she could eat them race morning.

Apparently all the beds at the hotel are Sleep Number beds. I've never slept on one before and I surely don't plan on purchasing one after this experience. Granted, the one I slept on appeared to be an older model, but it just was not comfortable no matter what settings I changed it to.

The TV in the room was also a source of annoyance. I understand most people probably wouldn't care, but we had more than enough time to kill to find ourselves watching it. The system they have set up for the TVs is nothing like I've ever seen. You have to hit two buttons in sequence to turn the TV on and off. Plus I had to reboot the system in the back of the TV as well as plug in missing cables in order for the channels to work. Even then, not everything came in great. These aren't deal-breakers for a hotel stay, but I would think you'd want to have a simple process for guests. The last issue with the TV in our room is that it turned itself on in the middle of the night. The remote was on the night stand and the TV just let out this low glow. I couldn't turn it off so I had to unplug the TV's power so I could sleep.

I'm hesitant to list the following issue as it's not so much the hotel's fault, but we had very loud children and adults walking/running down the hall in front of our room late at night when we were trying to sleep. The hotel is connected to a restaurant/bar, and there was a wedding party staying there two of the nights. I almost called the front desk about it, but considering how loud they were, I would think staff could hear it and tell the guests (especially the younger children) to keep quiet and go to their rooms.

The last issue was with the dresser. The room was not leveled properly so the drawers would not stay closed the entire time, no matter how hard or soft you shut them. This was fairly annoying as they open in the space you walk from the bed to the bathroom or to leave the room.

My wife used the pool to test out her swim goggles so I guess that was fine. We had the continental breakfast Monday morning, which was pretty disappointing but not too much you can do about it. The price was right which was one of the only good things going for it. If you just need a room for the night, this place will suit you fine. If you're looking to stay a few days, I might look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Murphy, North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed in Madison Wisconsin last week and found the Radison Hotel to be top notch ! Very friendly people and a great place to stay. Comfortable, clean and a great value and they make a great Hendrick's gin Martini in the lounge. I will surely return to the Radison during my travels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We wanted to spend Labor Day in Madison and did not get around to booking until 1 week prior. Downtown was out of the question--lots going on downtown, few rooms, most above budget. We found this Madison on another site's "secret hotels" listing for only $68.

Driving downtown is not my favorite, but Madison is not driver friendly to begin with.

The hotel's free breakfast was impressive: hot eggs and sausage, fresh pineapple and melon, good bread, and fairly good coffee.

• Stayed September 2013
St. Paul
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is a mixed bag. The rooms are decent and well kept however the hotel itself needs updating to match other Radisson properties. The check in lady was not very friendly; we wanted to move away from the first floor but was told there were no rooms and we could cancel our booking but would be charged the full amount. To top that off, the hallway leading to the room had a scent that reminded us of old smoke.
The staff weren't bad but were very businesslike at a property that in my opinion cannot afford to be that way because it needs updating. Others may not mind it, but our experience in total was not that great.
Our experience at this hotel leads us to try another hotel next time we are in Madison.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends