“Far from comfortable”

Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Carlinville, IL
“Far from comfortable”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our visit to the Radisson hotel in Madison, WI was far from comfortable. We arrived pretty late in the evening but we notified the hotel in advance and had no problems checking in. However, we first encountered trouble when we tried to get into the building of our room, which was at another entrance. The room key scanner to open the door was broken but we finally got inside by another guest who happened to be going out. Once we got in the hallway of our room, we noticed there was a terrible odor throughout the hotel and the carpet was very dirty. We finally got inside our room and discovered it was a king room, not a double like we had reserved. We returned to the front desk and were told they had a “computer glitch” that caused this problem. Although they were completely out of any double rooms, the staff was kind enough to give us a king suite with a pullout couch bed for no additional charge. The room seemed no different than our original room other than it was a little larger. As for the beds, the pullout couch was extremely uncomfortable and very dirty. The couch had stains and should’ve been replaced a long time ago. The sleep number bed, which was the reason we chose this hotel, was broken since the remote kept telling us “error”. The bed also kept making a clicking noise any time someone would move while on it, but we were able to unplug the whole thing to make it stop. After an almost sleepless night, we did have a wonderful free continental breakfast the next morning down at their restaurant.

The hotel is currently renovating some of the rooms and hopefully some of these problems won’t happen to others in the future.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms near entrance C... that is the hallway that smells and has stains in the carpet...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last Friday. We tried Priceline and got this hotel, We were not expecting much more than a warm shower and comfortable bed for the one night that we were staying there. When we got to the hotel the nice gentleman at the desk wasn't sure if he could get us a king bed but then the manager, Shannon, came over and upgraded us to an executive suite with a jacuzzi. We were ecstatic! She didn't even know that was our anniversary when she did that for us. They also didn't know that we just spent the last seven nights in a tent and needed a little TLC. The free continental breakfast included hot items and we were able to dine in the restaurant. The pool looked great, but we hung out in our jacuzzi suite. The hotel is under a multimillion dollar renovation but I couldn't hear any construction and everything in the hotel was neat and orderly. It didn't seem like the hotel needed improving. We have stayed at our share of hotels through the years and I have to say that the staff was kind, the room was spacious and clean, and the location was superb. Thank you Shannon and the Radisson Hotel Madison! We will make an effort to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is at decent location but a little old. We were happy with the amenity (free breakfast, swimming pool). It is clean and stuffs are friendly. There are multiple entrances and limited elevator so make sure you check in first before unloading.

There is a China buffet right across street.

Room Tip: Long walk from elevator so pick 1st floor room if you don't want to carry heavy luggage up stair...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel Madison, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at The Radisson Hotel Madison Wi. We are in the initial stages of a multi million dollar renovation and understand the importance of a quality hotel experience in all aspects of your stay. We thank you for your comments on the friendliness of our staff as we take great pride in the commitment to customer service our team demonstrates. Thank you again for choosing Radisson and staying with us. Mark Brown Director of Sales
Pinconning, Michigan
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at this Radisson because of a promotion, though it was not the cheapest hotel available in the area. In the end, I probably would have been better off at a cheaper hotel. When I arrived at 6 pm, the lady at the front desk was very friendly, but proceeded to inform me that my room was not yet cleaned, and I couldn't check in. She took my phone number, and said she would call me once it was ready. Two hours later, and after no call, I went back in, and the same lady didn't even seem to remember that I had come in earlier. I was able to check in, though. Once I got to my room, it was very obvious that the room had not been cleaned. Used towels and glasses were still out.

After dealing with this, the room was ok, though it wasn't anything fancy. The bed was comfortable enough and the wireless internet did work, though make sure to ask for a password. In the end, I'm not really sure the extra cost led to a hotel that was any better than the less expensive hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel Madison, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Radisson Hotel Madison Wi. My sincere apologies for the lengthy delay in your check in process. This is not how we do business as this is unacceptable, and not our usual service standard. If you happen to read my response, please email me at mbrown@radmad.com as I would like to speak with you about a return visit and a complimentary stay. Again, my deepest apologies.....Mark Brown Director of Sales
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Good overall! Some rooms have been updated some not yet. Breakfast is decent, pool is nice, but hot tub was out of order.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The Radisson Hotel Madison, Wi. We are in the initial stages of a two million dollar renovation as we know the importance of a quality guest room and the overall guest experience while you are with us. My apologies for the hot tub being out of service, we have since addressed that and hope you will return soon to be our guest again. Thank you for staying with us,..Mark Brown Director of Sales
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Staying currently at this hotel, for two nights, this being first. Front desk staff very friendly & efficient. Noise from doors closing loudly & kids up & down hallway since we arrived at 6pm until about midnight & now again noise upstairs. Hot tub out of service, disappointed since this was one of the amenities that drew us to this hotel. Because of noise keeping me up, decided to go out to store to get few toiletries. While heading down hallway back to our room, walked past area that had distinct smell of skunk...strange since hadn't smelled skunk when entering hotel...then realized smell must've been coming from one of rooms (even though it's a completely "no-smoking" property). All in all, could use more monitoring/security & sound-proofing.

Room Tip: Second floor might be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel Madison, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our Radisson hotel. Our sincere apologies for the bad odor that you encountered and our whirlpool being out of service. We are in the middle of a multi million dollar renovation as we strive to provide an excellent guest experience on every guest stay. We have addressed the noise issue at our last staff meeting and have established a new hallway monitoring schedule for the evening and late night hours. Please contact me at mbrown@radmad.com as I would like to offer you a complimentary stay in an effort to regain your confidence. Thank you again for staying with us. Mark Brown Director of Sales.
mn
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 4 years ago and was not very impressed, but this stay changed my mind. They are in the process of updating the hotel, and the lobby looks very nice. Our room was not updated, and was not the most pleasing. The wallpaper was ripped off the wall in the bathroom and it smelled old. However, the beds and linens made up for it! I enjoyed the sleep number beds but would have loved a queen. The pillows were great!! The towels were fluffy, it's a small thing, but it was great. The lounge was a lot of fun and the bartender Paul made our stay a memorable one!! The staff at this hotel was amazing and I would come back again for their service alone.

• Stayed June 2012