“Fantastic hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed October 6, 2006

This hotel has a fantastic location and great service. Very clean and very comfortable, my husband and I and my parents all stayed here with absolutely no complaints. Free parking and cookie on check in much appreciated!

• Stayed: September 2006

Reviewed September 29, 2006

I stayed here for five days for a business conference at the Monona Terrace. I shopped around online and read a lot of reviews of Madison hotels before choosing this one. I'm glad I did.

Once I got to the airport (which is the nicest regional or any-sized airport I've ever been to--recently redecorated and very relaxing, which is unusual for an airport!) I used a courtesy phone and called the hotel to send a shuttle over. The shuttle driver was very friendly.

It's true that they give you a cookie when you check in. That was nice after a long morning traveling on planes to get there. I was very pleased with the room. I booked an executive room, which is on the 6th or 7th floor and contains a fridge and microwave. Both came in handy. The bed, like previous reviews also state, is heavenly. I loved it. There are plenty of down pillows. One complaint: even though I was in a non-smoking room several of my pillows reeked of smoke. I called the front desk and they brought up replacement pillows right away. They weren't down pillows, but they smelled clean.

The bathroom has extra nice amenities (see photo), including face wash, sewing kit, and vanity kit. My room was very comfortable overall. I had one king bed, which filled the room, but it didn't feel cramped. The room isn't overly spacious, though.

I was two or three rooms away from the elevator and I could hear the elevator running. This didn't prevent me from sleeping. But I was glad I wasn't any closer to the elevator!

After my first shower there it was clear that the water wasn't draining from the tub (gross!). I had to leave for the conference, so I asked the front desk to send someone to fix it. When I came back at lunchtime it was completely repaired and clean. Good service!

Lastly, I liked that the hotel was only a 10-15 minute walk to the Monona Terrace, where my conference was. I doubt many people would think to walk there from the hotel, but it's very pleasant. It's 2 blocks to State Street, which is a shopping/restaurant district that connects the college and the state capitol. You walk right past the capitol and then two more blocks to the Monona Terrace.

Even though the walk was so enjoyable, and not very long, I wasn't a fan of the neighborhood immediately surrounding the hotel. It's a student town, so bulidings are pretty run down. One evening I walked back alone from state street to my hotel in the late evening after dinner with some friends. There was at least one bar on every block, so there were some pretty rowdy crowds around. I might suggest steering clear of hanging outside around the hotel after dark.

Overall, a good experience. My first time at a Doubletree. Maybe not the last. The price as about $180 per night, which would have made me hesitate if I had to pay for it myself, but my company covered it. I'm glad I got to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank shanloraine
Reviewed August 7, 2006

This hotel is a great find. The service was excellent as was the shuttle. Good cookies upon check-in, good neutrogena products and GREAT beds! I don't know Madison that well but it seemed very central, a 3 minute walk to State street. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank otraveler
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Fantastic hotel. Close proximity to UW & excellent shuttle service within downtown area. Excellent staff - friendly, professional & expressed a "can do" attitude. Would definitely stay if in the city.

1  Thank hontraveller
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Wow, this was a great hotel. Booked it in advance on their website, and pre-paid for a great price. It's 5 mins walk from all the state street boutiques and cafes. It's 15 mins walk from the capitol building (and the museums and fancy restaurants near there). It's also 5 mins walk from the historic university of wisconsin campus..... It is a really nice new hotel, with great rooms and fantastic service. The only downside was that we couldn't get into the pool (the door had broken), but it wasn't a great pool anyway and there was so much to do in the city itself that we didn't need a pool!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank swinget
Reviewed June 30, 2006

Visiting the Doubletree in Madison is a reminder that the most precious commodity that an hotel can offer is the luxury of excellent service and special touches. The hotel is well located and has all comfortable amenities. What makes it extraordinary is the wonderful service, the easy free parking (tokens get you in and out), the toiletries, the gifts for kids and yes the chocolate chip cookies!
Will absolutely come back.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Solange72
Reviewed March 3, 2006

Great location, nice rooms, good staff. No complaints from me. No free breakfast.

Stayed: February 2006