“Room was nice, staff was excellent.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Madison
California
“Room was nice, staff was excellent.”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed at the hotel while dropping our daughter at the dorm down the block. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant - even shuttled us with all my daughter's belongings the block to the dorm when we moved her in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DoubleTreeMadisonGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison while dropping off your daughter at the UW Madison. We appreciate the wonderful comments, and we are extremely pleased that you had an excellent stay with us. Furthermore, it’s great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison, and we look forward to your future stays with us! Go Badgers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Watersmeet, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just arrived for our twelfth stay here since January due to medical needs at the UW Clinic and Hospital. Our first stay here was because we saw great reviews through Trip Advisor. We absolutely couldn't have chosen a more wonderful and accomodating hotel. Our stays have ranged from one to six nights, and every stay here has been super even though we are here for less than great reasons. Doubletree and its fantastic staff have gone over and above any expectations we had for any of our stays. Everyone from reservations to front desk to restaurant staff to shuttle drivers to cleaning and maintenance make this the only hotel that we ever want to stay in here in Madison. It truly has become our home away from home. The special things they have done for us have brought me to tears, and we can't thank them enough for their kindnesses and concerns. Views of a glowing Capitol Building from your room, spotless rooms and the most comfy beds and bedding, warm chocolate chip cookies upon arrival, awesome tilapia and wedge salads and a complete breakfast buffet in the Badgerland Bar and Grill and great room service added to a happy, dedicated, and caring staff makes for a terrific stay convenient to anything you want to do. I feel like I'm doing a commercial, but whether you are coming for business, pleasure, family, medical, etc., I don't think you will be disappointed! We can only say thank you to the great group of people here that make this such a super place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012
DoubleTreeMadisonGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your continued loyalty at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison and for the fantastic review! We cannot be more pleased that you are able to call us your ‘home away from home,’ especially since your stays with us were due to medical reasons. Thank you for the absolutely wonderful comments; we will be sure to pass along the terrific feedback to each team member and department. Once again, thank you for the fantastic review and for continuing to be loyal guests at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison. We look forward to your future stays with us at ‘your home away from home.’
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed August 27, 2012

$450 Chocolate Chip Cookie

I made reservations at the Madison WI Doubletree on May 16 using my AAA rate of $160.55 per night. Sometime around June 19 I called the Madison Doubletree and inquired about getting a state rate, since I was traveling on University of Wisconsin business. I was told by the person who answered the phone that all I needed to do to get the state rate was to get a letter from UW stating that I was on official university business and give the letter to the front desk. I obtained the letter and I turned a copy of the letter in when I checked in on July 29.
When I checked out, my bill was for the original AAA rate I had booked. I called the front desk and told them that I had turned in the letter, and at that time I also emailed a copy to them. When I went to the front desk, they had revised my bill to the AAA rate per night with no tax. They said they would not give me the state rate as there were no rooms available for that rate. I talked with the manager, who said the same thing.
I was not told that I had to change my reservation to state rate. I was only told that I needed to get the letter, which I did. I sent four emails regarding this. The first two were unanswered, despite receiving robo emails saying they would be answered in 24-48 hours. I made phone contact with Hilton and was told that they could do nothing, as the hotel was independently owned. I emailed the Doubletree Madison general manager, who in essence said too bad, and did not offer any adjustments.
A chocolate chip cookie is not worth $450. I could have stayed at several different downtown hotels, but chose the Doubletree because it is a Hilton hotel. BIG MISTAKE! My suggestion is to avoid the Madison Doubletree and book at a hotel that is clear about rates and has appropriately trained staff who can give you sound advice about what is available!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tina M
tziarnik, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
The guest booked the AAA rate online because she could not find the State rate available. When the guest checked in she signed her registration card and agreed to the AAA rate. During her stay she provided us with a letter from the University of Wisconsin stating her reservation should be tax exempt. We honored the request of the letter and removed all taxes. Nowhere in the letter did it state she should receive the State rate. Please note the State Rate is only available during certain times of the year and only offered to State Employees on State business and an official State ID is required at check in.
La Grange Park
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Some friends and I booked a night here and couldn't have been more pleased. The previous night at a different hotel our room had been broken into, so we were a little insecure. From the moment we walked in, the desk staff went beyond all expectations.

Upon checkin people are handed delicious warm chocolate chip cookies. When we arrived, they promised us we could have an extra, since we'd had such a bad night the previous hotel. They were intent on improving our weekend and they most certainly did so. The cookies were a great start, but more than anything it was their attitude. They genuinely cared about their guests' comfort.

We were early, so Tony stored our bags. When we returned and got to the room, he had written a lovely note from the staff and given us two tins of the warm cookies. Each time we went by the desk there was a smile and some friendly banter.

The room itself was lovely. Not much of a view, but a good size (we even had them bring in a rollaway and cancel the second room-five fit just fine). We will most certainly stay here and highly recommend others do as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LeeannChicago
DoubleTreeMadisonGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison, and for the great feedback! We’re very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience in Milwaukee; however, we are extremely happy that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us in Madison. We do know how our delicious DoubleTree cookies can quickly turn around a traveler’s day, and we will definitely share your wonderful comments with the rest of our team. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison, and we look forward to your next stay with us, hopefully soon! We’ll have more DoubleTree cookies waiting for you!
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was on a trip with some friends and had a horrible stay in Milwaukee. Our hotel was robbed and I had a valuable electronic item taken. The staff at the Milwaukee hotel (Comfort Inn & Suites Lakeshore) wouldn't call the manager and no empathy for our situation. We even had to call the police ourselves. Needless to say we were a little freaked out. We had plans to drive to Madison to stay at the Doubletree the next night. I am most certainly glad we did!

My friend called the Doubletree to ask a check on our reservation and to see if we could get an additional room for another friend who planned to come to stay at the last minute. She told the hotel staff about our robbery and they were so compassionate and wonderful. They went above and beyond to find another room for us and make sure that our rooms were next door to one another. We ended up not needing that room later that day and they graciously changed the reservation and brought in a roll away for us to use.

Upon check in - this hotel gives warm chocolate chip cookies to all guests. I didn't expect the cookies to be as wonderful as they were! They tasted homemade and really made us feel great.

When we arrived in our room, we found a card addressed to all of us saying that the whole staff was so sorry that we had a bad experience in Milwaukee and that they were determined to make our stay at the Doubletree in Madison wonderful. They included 2 more large tins of chocolate chip cookies for us to enjoy! We were so pleasantly surprised that they "got it" where the Milwaukee hotel staff didn't have a clue.

Our room was large enough that we had plenty of room for five of us with a roll away bed. It was clean and very well appointed. The complimentary toiletries were Crabtree and Evelyn brand and smelled delicious!

And there was a safe in the room for us to securely lock all our items so we could enjoy Madison with no worries.

Every time we walked past the front desk, the staff was friendly and remembered us. They made us feel special and important as their guests.

As a frequent traveler to Madison, I will definitely stay at the Doubletree again. Their customer service is unsurpassed!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor. This hotel is very near campus housing at UW-Madison. Probably the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank FlyingWoman
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison with other travelers. We are truly sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience in Milwaukee; however, we are extremely pleased that our team was able to turn around your trip and surpass your expectations. Furthermore, we are happy you took advantage of our amenities we offer including our Crabtree and Evelyn products and our large safes – it is our hope that it gives you piece of mind while staying with us. Thank you again for your great review, and we look forward to serving you again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Madison Doubletree while we were on a campus visit to UW Madison, and had a very pleasant stay. The staff is friendly and accommodating. A shuttle even drove us to a restaurant a few miles away! The hotel is within walking distance of the campus and nearby State Street area. We enjoyed the pool, the comfortable beds and clean, quiet rooms. Parking is free. We definitely plan on staying here again in the future. We encountered other guests who had children attending UW-Madison, and they said they always stay at the Doubletree.

Room Tip: Join the Hilton Honors program for perks.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the fabulous review! We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your daughter at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison. Also, we are pleased that you utilized our complimentary shuttle service that goes to/from the airport as well as within a 2 mile radius of the hotel, our pool and whirlpool, and of course, complimentary parking in a downtown location is always a bonus! Thank you again for the kind words, and we look forward to hosting you again.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Every single member of the staff from the front desk, to the housekeeping, to the kitchen staff was SO nice! I was here for 4 days on business and they were very accommodating to my staff and my requests to use their business center, supplies, and meeting rooms. Don't stay anywhere else! Great hotel, location, clean, and great food onsite. A+++

Room Tip: Use your HHonors Gold or Platinum status to get free breakfast for yourself and your guest, but leav...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DoubleTreeMadisonGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Madison to assist other travelers, and for choosing to stay with us while on business in Madison. We greatly appreciate the wonderful comments, and we’re glad to hear that you had a fantastic stay from check-in to check-out. Thank you again for the great feedback, and we look forward to your next stay with us!