“Stress vs. Rest Part 2”

Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Stress vs. Rest Part 2”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This is the second review I have written for this hotel but I feel justified in doing so because I just started my third week's stay. I've had to keep extending my stay due to my spouse's hospitalization. I was supposed to check out on Monday, May 24, but due to emergency surgery on Sunday, the 23rd I had to extend for week 3. They were expecting a huge business meeting/golf outing that week and thought I may have to change rooms but the young man behind the desk that morning (I wish I could remember his name, it started with an 'A'. He is outstanding at his job and should be recognized) said "Why add to your stress? We'll just keep you in 3050 and I'll let housekeeping know". Granted it's a small courtesy but when you're running on 5 hours of sleep over 2 days little courtesies make a big impact. I may have to extend again and if I do, I'm glad it's here. I'll sit by the window in the lobby that looks over the mini waterpark and watch the children play.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Mwilke7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
Thank you most kindly for taking the time to recognize "A" for assisting you during your recent stay with us. I will most certainly thank him for his effort and encourage him to continue to look for opportunities to assist all our guests. I hope that your spouse's medical needs tuned out well and that you are able to return to our area under more pleasant circumstances and again chosse our Hotel as your "place to stay" in Madison.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
madison,wi
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Got a great rate on hotwire for the weekend. An anniversary get away. The king suite was very nice and quiet. The pool area is quite large. A large hot tub for adults and a waterslide and pools and water play areas for kids....up to 12 or so. Don't think teens would find it that great. Deepest of the pool areas was 4.5 feet and the waterslide is not very high.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write the complimentary notes from your visit. The King Suite is one of several types we have that you could have chosen and I am glad you enjoyed it! You described the waterpark perfectly for all the readers and I appreciate that as well - hope to see you back as our guest soon!
Green Bay, WI
Reviewed April 26, 2010

After reading the review of this hotel, I was wonder how can a hotel live up to its reviews, but it actually exceeded my expectations. We stay in the hotel with our two year old son, and got a fantastic rate, which left me worrying about the type of room we would receive. The room was called a king room, but it was bigger than some of the "suites" we have stayed in at other hotels. The room had a separate living room and bedroom; it included a clean fridge and microwave. More than we expected!

The staff was very courteous, and met our needs over and over again. I had heard about a free cocktail at the lounge bar for guests. The man at the front desk gave me the ticket for a drink, something much needed after a LONG day in meetings. Also, since my family was along with me, I thought checking out would be tricky, because check out is at 11:00 am, and I had conferences and meetings until noon. I didn’t want my wife to have to check out alone, taking luggage to the car, and trying to juggle our two year old. So I inquired about a late check out and told them our situation. They allowed us a late check out until 12:30!! Unheard of, thank you, thank you!

I could also go on and on about the pool. Our son loved it, the life guards were kind. But I have to save some surprise for future visitors. Every time I write a review I try to add something that can be worked on to make the experience even better for future visitors. With this hotel it is difficult, but here is goes. More front desk people during check out. That’s it! It wasn’t even bad; I think I had to wait like 5 minutes. I know much picked. Overall well done! Keep up the great work Holiday Inn Madison West. You have earned your rating, I give it 5 stars! This hotel is the new standard that I will judge hotels on.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
HIMSN, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Hello blcgb: I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn. I am very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your experience. We enjoy hearing about your experience so we continue to improve and make sure we live up to our guests expectations.

I appreciate the feedback on the staffing levels at our front desk. It is in our best interest to better anticipate our business flow and provide every guest with a efficient and excellent experience whether checking in or out. Thank you for the feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future and appreciate your business.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We have 2 children, ages 8 and 12, and we all look forward to staying in this hotel. The rooms are exceptionally clean for a hotel and very roomy. This time we stayed in a king suite with a sofa bed. Although there is no partition, the room is big enough to offer privacy. The kids also had their own tv in the living area so that was a plus. All of the rooms have small refrigerators and microwaves which is helpful if you don't want to eat out for every meal or pack snacks for the kids. The waterpark is so much nicer than the pictures show. There is an awesome pirate ship play area for the little kids (but mine still play over there), a nice big swim area with a big slide for older kids and grownups, and a wonderful, large hot tub. The restaurant on site is also wonderful. We ate there on a weekend morning (kids 12 and under eat free with an adult) and the buffet was superb. Scrambled eggs, hash browns, toast, bagels, muffins, bacon, sausage and bisquits, yogurts, fresh fruits and I'm sure I'm missing something. It was the best breakfast we have had in a long time and 10.00 per adult. Outstanding! We will continue staying at this hotel as much as possible. It is a nice weekend retreat for us. This time, we were only going to stay for one night, and ended up staying through the Easter weekend because we were having so much fun. Thank you to this hotel's management for a wonderful place to bring our family! Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
CPBadger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
dellsfun,
Thank you for the kind words! We are so glad that you enjoyed all that we had to offer. It truly is our pleasure to ensure that you and your family enjoy themselves. Can't wait to see you again!
Lake villa, il
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We had reserved a king suite with whirlpool in this hotel without realizing that the room with the sofabed in which my son was going to sleep did not have a privacy door. Since this rendered the romantic king bed with huge whirlpool pointless, I was initially upset. Happily this hotel is clearly committed to providing a positive experience to its guests. The employee at the desk gave us adjoining rooms at no extra charge which I found above and beyond what the situation required. We had a wonderful time with the pool. The rooms are lovely and the breakfast is very reasonable. The staff could not have been more helpful and accomodating. We will undoubtedly be back.

carissabon,
Thank you so much for the review and the kind words! I am so happy that our staff was able to accommodate your needs and made your stay!
Thank you again and stay again soon.
Central WIsconsin
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We wanted to go to the zoo in Madison and were looking for a hotel that had a waterpark for our 3 and 6 year old boys, I found Holiday Inn Madison West on trip advisior, after reading some bad and good reviews we decided to book a poolside room for our adventure. We were very pleasantly surpised by the waterpark. It is a perfect size for the ages our boys are. The room was very clean and the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The only thing that happened was a child (not ours) had an "accident" in the kiddie play area and it was shut down for a couple hours, no fault of the hotel but a bummer for our 3 yr. old, but I am glad they took the precaution and closed it until it was properly cleaned. I will definitily be staying there again. Even my husband and I had fun on the waterslide and the hot tub was GREAT!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
AMTCentralWIsconsin
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed March 24, 2010

To be fair, I think I expected alot more from reading previous reviews so I was disappointed when our stay didn't match up. I thought I would treat my kids (11 & 12) to a night of swimming and fun before having to be at a family get together in a nearby city the next day. I booked a kids suite. Check in was fast. Our room was OK. I would call it "tired". There were plastic corner protectors on the wall that were loose and peeling off, mold in the bottom corner of the shower and the dresser and night stand drawers need fixing. Kid's bunk bed and desk furniture had paint chipping off. There was a toy on the floor in the kids bunk area, I am assuming was from the previous people who stayed, which tells me the cleaning crew didn't do a thorough job of going through the room or they would have seen it. There was only 1 remote and everytime my husband and I would change the channel or adjust the volume on our tv it would change the kid's channel and volume also. The pool area is ok for kids probably to age 9. It was very crowded in the pool. The game room area leaves much to be desired.....change machine out of order, games out of order and the overall feeling was dingy. Walls are thin and could clearly hear coughing in the next room and at around 11:30pm we had to call the front desk about the room directly above us to be quiet and the response was "as soon as I can get up there"- we got the feeling he was the only one working. Well they partied until about 2:50am! So my guess is he didn't make it up there. Had we been able to get a good night's sleep, may be we would have felt different about our stay. Check out was crazy-There was actually nobody at the front desk for almost 20 minutes. We weren't in a rush so it didn't bother us as much as others. When asked at check out about our stay we explained our disappointment and were given a discount for our stay which is why we decided on 3 out of 5 for the rating. Our original rate was not worth what we got. Overall I would not pay the original rate to stay here again and I would tell others to check around before booking here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
sarajanie,
Thank you for the review. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that we are addressing each and every one of your concerns to ensure that future guests (and returning ones) do not have the same experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service at 608-826-0500.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Comfort Suites Madison West
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Hampton Inn and Suites Madison West
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Madison Central
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Madison West

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!