“Perfect Spring Break Getaway”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West
Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Central WIsconsin
“Perfect Spring Break Getaway”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We wanted to go to the zoo in Madison and were looking for a hotel that had a waterpark for our 3 and 6 year old boys, I found Holiday Inn Madison West on trip advisior, after reading some bad and good reviews we decided to book a poolside room for our adventure. We were very pleasantly surpised by the waterpark. It is a perfect size for the ages our boys are. The room was very clean and the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The only thing that happened was a child (not ours) had an "accident" in the kiddie play area and it was shut down for a couple hours, no fault of the hotel but a bummer for our 3 yr. old, but I am glad they took the precaution and closed it until it was properly cleaned. I will definitily be staying there again. Even my husband and I had fun on the waterslide and the hot tub was GREAT!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
CPBadger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
AMTCentralWIsconsin
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed March 24, 2010

To be fair, I think I expected alot more from reading previous reviews so I was disappointed when our stay didn't match up. I thought I would treat my kids (11 & 12) to a night of swimming and fun before having to be at a family get together in a nearby city the next day. I booked a kids suite. Check in was fast. Our room was OK. I would call it "tired". There were plastic corner protectors on the wall that were loose and peeling off, mold in the bottom corner of the shower and the dresser and night stand drawers need fixing. Kid's bunk bed and desk furniture had paint chipping off. There was a toy on the floor in the kids bunk area, I am assuming was from the previous people who stayed, which tells me the cleaning crew didn't do a thorough job of going through the room or they would have seen it. There was only 1 remote and everytime my husband and I would change the channel or adjust the volume on our tv it would change the kid's channel and volume also. The pool area is ok for kids probably to age 9. It was very crowded in the pool. The game room area leaves much to be desired.....change machine out of order, games out of order and the overall feeling was dingy. Walls are thin and could clearly hear coughing in the next room and at around 11:30pm we had to call the front desk about the room directly above us to be quiet and the response was "as soon as I can get up there"- we got the feeling he was the only one working. Well they partied until about 2:50am! So my guess is he didn't make it up there. Had we been able to get a good night's sleep, may be we would have felt different about our stay. Check out was crazy-There was actually nobody at the front desk for almost 20 minutes. We weren't in a rush so it didn't bother us as much as others. When asked at check out about our stay we explained our disappointment and were given a discount for our stay which is why we decided on 3 out of 5 for the rating. Our original rate was not worth what we got. Overall I would not pay the original rate to stay here again and I would tell others to check around before booking here.

sarajanie,
Thank you for the review. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that we are addressing each and every one of your concerns to ensure that future guests (and returning ones) do not have the same experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service at 608-826-0500.
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I chose this hotel because of the waterpark and the kids suite. When we checked in we did not get the room we requested. So I went down to the front desk. They informed me even if you book a kids suite that is no guarantee you will get one. But they found one for us, but not overlooking the pool as I had requested. Then there was no vcr in the room, and I had brought tapes along. I again contacted the front desk who said, oh we are updating the rooms and your room doesn't have one yet. When I asked about getting one, the counter person huffed at me, turned to her coworker and said "you deal with her:" I wrote a letter to management but never got a reply about this employees treatment to me. I would have let it go, but the next day while waiting for my group in the lobby I saw this employee point at me, stare and then say something to her fellow workers who all then looked at me. I am not a trouble maker, just want what I am expecting...is that wrong?
It's a shame because we really liked the convenience of the hotel, and it fits our needs.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
CPBadger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Laura91,
Thank you for your feedback, I truly appreciate the information. I will certainly be addressing the issues from your stay in September, and I would love the opportunity to discuss them with you if you would be so kind as to contact me directly at 608-826-0500.
New York City
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I can't begin to describe what a wonderful time we had at this hotel! I was in town for a family event in early March and stayed with my husband and 2 children, ages 4 and 6 -- and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. From the moment we checked in, we received nothing but courteousness and attentiveness from every staff member we encountered. We chose to stay in one of the suites that had the separate bunkbed area for children, and our room was great. It was very clean, everything was in great condition, and we could walk right out onto the balcony overlooking the water park. The movie ordering system was a bit confusing but after 3 tries, we figured it out. We chose to let the kids swim for a little while before heading to the restaurant, and they absolutely had a blast. The water park is definitely geared toward families and younger children, but for us, this was perfect. They were busy the weekend that we stayed but had 3 lifeguards on duty -- 2 of which were stationed at specific posts and one that walked around observing all areas and ensuring that the supply of towels was kept up. Even though my husband and I were both by our childrens' sides, this helped us feel more secure with allowing them more freedom to swim and play. There was a birthday party going on in a special birthday room that they have, and the children in attendance looked to be having a great time while the server was cutting the cake. Once our kids had worn themselves out after about 2 hours, we decided to head to the restaurant for dinner. The gentleman at the host stand was very polite and showed us to our table, and let us know that our server would be with us momentarily. We chose to eat right at about 5pm when they opened so it wasn't busy just yet, and the restaurant had a quiet, mature atmosphere with gentle music playing in the background. Shortly after we sat down, our female server approached with a friendly smile and greeting and took our drink orders, then our dinner order a few minutes later. Our children behaved pretty well but got a little impatient until dinner arrived as most children do, and our server was quick-thinking in bringing crayons and coloring paper for them to keep busy with. Talk about kudos with a parent! Our experience with the food deserves an A+ -- it was served right on time, hot, cooked to perfection, and delicious. Our thanks to the chef! The total price was more than reasonable for the quality of the food as well as the quantity of it, and also the quality of service. The following morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant at their buffet and I have to say, we were surprised at the variety offered for such a reasonable price. We had everything we needed for all 4 of us, even the kids got the cereal they always eat (Fruit Loops). After a good meal, we packed our things and headed out for a long day at grandma's. :) I have to say our stay was one of the most pleasant we've had in a long time, and we will definitely be back!

WearyTraveler1959,
Thank you so much for your review! We are thrilled that you had such a good time with us and can't wait to see you again!
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Everything about this property is high quality. The friendly staff, the well-kept rooms, the prompt room service, and the relaxing night's sleep. I would highly recommend this hotel for any type of travel. I didn't even mention the steak house on site and the water park! :-)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MNTacco
MNTacco,
Thank you for the review and we're thrilled that you continue to visit us! Hope to see you soon!
Indianapolis
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Upon arrival, the courteous staff was well-prepared for the arrival of our party. The check-in process was remarkably quick and within 2 minutes of approaching the front desk, I was on my way to my room. The room was prepared in a very professional manner and I could easily see the attention to detail by the housekeeping staff. All amenities within the room were in good working order which has not always been the case in other places I have stayed for twice the money. I was impressed with their commitment to environmental responcibility with the energy-saving technology employed in each room. The quality of the meals served at our conference were excellent and economical without sparing variety or presentation. It was rather surprizing to meet the president of the hotel group in the lobby lounge. He demonstarted a keen interest in the satisfaction of the guests and spent a considerable amount of time interacting with all people in the area. I would recommend this hotel for business or personal travel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
CPBadger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, February 26, 2010
IndyCharlie64,
Thank you for the review an the kind words! It was a pleasure hosting your conference here and I truly hope we see you and your group again soon!
Onalaska
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed here this past weekend and had a great time. The staff, rooms, waterpark and breakfast were all great.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
CPBadger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Hinitt4
Thank you for the review! We appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Comfort Suites Madison West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Madison Central
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Madison West

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!