“Excellent Experience”

Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Greated by friendly staff at the front desk after a long day. Room was great, service top notch. Everything was great... Many 4 star hotels could learn something here. Had breakfast in the restaurant and it was well priced.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerps, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your Excellent Service you received during your stay with us. Our goal is to make sure we exceed our travelers expectations.
We look forward to see you again when you are traveling to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was here for business meetings last week and stayed a few nights. The rooms are pretty average, worst aspect is that the air conditioning/heating units are extremely noisy. They seem to start screeching even when they are switched off....so makes for a restless sleep. The mini bar/fridge was also extremely noisy - so finally ended up just switching it off after the first night when it kept waking me up every hour or so.

The worst experience was actually breakfast in the restaurant. Service was extremely patchy - I sat down and was never asked what I wanted to drink or even given a menu...only one other person having breakfast, so clearly not swept off their feet. I ordered the eggs benedict - spinach, poached eggs and hollandaise served on an English muffin. Oh my, they had no clue what to do. The hollandaise sauce was some sort of clear, gloopy liquid - tasteless and pretty vile. I spoke with the Restaurant Manager afterwards and he kindly explained that they are forced to have this item on the breakfast menu (for consistency across Holiday Inn's), however they have some packet mix they use to make the hollandaise sauce. They have never tasted a real sauce, so have no idea what it should look like or taste like.......

I told him that if they can't serve a decent version they should not have it on the menu. It appears they have no choice... Sounds like Holiday Inn either need to give their kitchen staff some training, or allow them to customise their menus and serve only what they can actually make.

I was there for a business meeting and the Conference catering staff were also pretty useless. I asked several times for Green tea....and he finally brought one tea bag. Obviously not paying any attention to what was actually getting used up in the bowl of tea bags. He brought plenty of the tea bags where there were already many left over. Again, just highlights the lack of training to pay attention to the details.

Very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the hotel with real daylight. The inner rooms overlooking the pool...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerps, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites while attending your meeting. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience at the hotel. Your feedback will help us correct our mistakes and make sure our staff is trained properly so we can provide better service and make sure our guest's have a comfortable and relaxing night while they are staying with us. We hope you will give us another chance when you are traveling to Madison
Pekin, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband booked this room for one night for a little weekend getaway to Wisconsin. We were originally booked for Friday night, but ended up returning on Monday night due to the snow storm. I don't know if I would call "Crawdaddy Cove" a water park, but it reminded me of the Holidome's that many Holiday Inn's had back in the 70's and 80's. It was much better than the tiny pool's that are in most hotels now. It was perfect for my four-year-old son. He loved the boat and small slides on the zero-entry pool, but the "big" pool with longer slide was great too. The water was warm and while the pool was little worn in spots, overall it was very well-maintained. There was a lifeguard on duty at all times and if there wasn't anyone swimming you would see them cleaning.
The hotel itself was a standard Holiday Inn. We had a poolside room, and it was a little darker due to the lack of natural light. The rooms were clean, a little on the small side, but what you'd expect in any Holiday Inn.
The lobby was very nice and had a nice bar that had a decent selection of Wisconsin beers on tap at a very reasonable price. We only ate at Benevenuto's for lunch, but it was very good and nice to have decent restaurant on site.
The staff was all very accommodating, especially when we had to book a room due to the winter storm. We were coming home from the Dells and after ten minutes on the highway, we decided it was too bad to drive all the way home. We called the hotel and they had a room and told us we could check in as soon as we got there. We arrived at 11:45 a.m. and they had a room ready and waiting for us and had no problems with us checking in early.
I highly recommend this hotel if you are in Madison with kids and have a little extra time. Again, I wouldn't call it a full-fledged water park, but it was a neat pool area that had more to do than your average hotel. It was clean, staff nice, cold beer and good food at a decent rate. If we are in Madison area again, we will stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Megan L
The Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark located in the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West is the perfect getaway for families with small children. And what a perfect getaway on a snowy winter day. We are happy you were able to come in from the cold and snow to swim and relax in the waterpark and enjoy our Bar offering a great beer specials daily & Benvenuto's Italian Grill Restaurant - where kids even eat free - wow you don't even need to leave the hotel - delivery to the waterpark or guest room as well. The hotel offers a variety of room types to choose from for people traveling as a family or for a business traveler.
If you are looking to get away yet this winter or for spring break - Crawdaddy Cove is the perfect place to be.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Dear Holiday Inn Madison West,
I stayed at your hotel a few weeks ago. My card was double charged for my reservation. It took multiple phone calls and 3 weeks to receive a refund. When we arrived on Friday night, our room reservation was messed up, and we had to go back to the front desk to fix it, then change rooms — which involved hauling 4 children and their grandparents, the crap load of stuff you bring with you when traveling with children, and our snowboard gear, up and down the elevator (we were on the 4th floor). We ended up late to dinner and my kids (after rushing through dinner) were able to use the waterpark (the reason we booked your hotel) for only a few minutes before bed. The front desk gave us a voucher for 2 free alcoholic drinks at the hotel restaurant for the inconvenience in addition to the 4 other free alcoholic drink vouchers that came with our rooms. The infant I’m nursing really appreciates free booze and how did you know my husband likes to get sloshed in front of my parents when we’re traveling with 4 children for athletic events? It’s like you’re mind readers. At bedtime, when I tried to use the extra blanket from the closet for the pull out couch, I noticed the blanket was covered in pubic hair. I was tired of straightening out things with the staff at that point, and we just wanted to go to sleep, so my 7 year-old put one of our 6 month old’s baby blankets on his legs and an extra sweatshirt on his top half.
It gets better.
Saturday evening, a stranger walked into our room. Apparently, he had PURCHASED our room and his key card let him in. That was awkward. A stranger walking into our hotel room. It was a good thing we were just eating pizza and watching TV with our kids. We could have been changing. We could have been having sex. We could have been dancing around in our underwear. Or had all our stuff stolen. I thought about it, and I would rather have my stuff stolen, including my beloved snowboard gear, than have a stranger walk in on me while I’m having sex. Staying at your hotel causes a person to contemplate things like this.
After our room was sold to someone else while we were in it, our own key cards stopped working, so I made another trip to the front desk (from the 4th floor) to get a working key card and to make sure our room would not be sold to anyone else. Before I left the room to do this, the phone rang. I thought it was the front desk calling to apologize (as they had surely learned of the situation by now from the poor guy that had purchased our room… that poor guy. I mean, your hotel sold US the wrong rooms the night before, but I now felt fortunate that we had not been sold any occupied rooms in which people may have been having sex). ”HELLO!!!” I yelled into the phone. It was not the front desk. It was my 12 year-old’s best friend’s parents calling to ask if our kids wanted to go swimming. I am quite sure my 12 year-old’s best friend’s parents now wonder if his mother has an anger management problem that causes her to scream hello into the phone when she answers.
Fortunately, I was able to obtain another working key card (two actually!) for our room. And we were given a voucher for free breakfast the following morning. Most hotels have continental breakfasts (but not yours).
Sunday morning, our children went to breakfast without shoes (they were planning to swim after). We were told that our children needed shoes before they would be allowed to have breakfast. I went back up to the 4th floor — two kids in tow — to get shoes for them. My husband waited downstairs. My key card wouldn’t open our door so he waited for awhile. In fact, I think he started wondering if Dennis Hopper had blown the elevator cables and his wife and kids were hostages. He was additionally thrilled when I had to call him to also come up to the 4th floor (with infant carrier on one arm, toddler on the other) to let us into our room. I was pleasantly surprised that one of your key cards worked when it was supposed to and we were able to retrieve their shoes. Our kids missed half of their swimming time before check out, but we did get a free breakfast.
My son dropped his IPOD in the hotel room while we were packing our things to leave. Five minutes later, he went back up to the room to check for it and it was nowhere to be found. (Our room could have been resold and the guest thought it came with a free IPOD.)
We were late to the snow hill, where one of our kids was competing, and by that time my husband was so frustrated he drove back to Iowa with 3 of our kids and I stayed with the one who was competing. (We were supposed to spend the day at the snow hill as a family.)
I had planned to chalk our stay up to bad luck. I understand that mistakes happen, and it is not my intention to get any of your employees in trouble (they were all very nice, and employees follow the policies a corporation sets). But then you emailed me asking how my stay was. I didn’t want to think about my stay so I ignored your email. But then you emailed me again. So here it is…
I cannot believe I paid nearly $400 dollars for that experience. Had I pitched a tent and snuggled up in a thermal sleeping bag at the bottom of our snow hill destination in subzero temperatures, I would have had a better experience. I can understand why you give out all those free drinks. It would be bad for business if your guests were in a state of mind to remember their experiences at your hotel. My kids love the waterpark in your hotel and were really excited to stay there, and I REALLY wanted to like your hotel because we come to Madison a lot for snowboarding, so I am really sorry to say that I would have to be on some kind of hallucinogenic drugs to book another stay at your hotel. It would be really nice if your hotel cared about making things right with their guests, and I’m a forgiving person, so I might even come back if you did… but it seems like free beer coupons are supposed to fix things?
I clicked on the feedback link you emailed me and wrote an entire page of feedback. Then my response was deleted and I was kicked out of your system before submitting it, which was upsetting. I spent a lot of time explaining these things in detail in case your hotel wants to fix them for other people. But don’t worry, I took the time to rewrite it, and just in case it gets deleted again, I’m going to save it on my blog so I have a back up copy.
Danelle

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Danelle M
GeneralManagerps, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time letting us know about the problems you had during your Our goal is to make sure our guests have a good experience when they are staying with us. We will be addressing your concerns with our staff to make sure this does not happen again. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us a second chance to make things right when you are visiting the Madison for business or pleasure.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed this hotel which is less than 2 miles from our house. We were there on a Friday night as my wife was there for a customer appreciation party. We knew that we'd be drinking so we felt the right thing to do was get a cab or stay the night. So we decided to stay the night...and we are glad we did. The facility is top of the line and there is a Benvento's and a bar as part of the facility. The room was very nice very spacious and we had a Jacuzzi tub in the room which we did use the next morning. The food that night was outstanding, very well prepared and presented. We had the breakfast buffet the next day and that wasn't as good but above average for a hotel breakfast buffet. Staff was excellent and made us feel welcome. I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a nice clean facility with a great bar and restaurant. I didn't mention there is a small water park that we didn't use but looked like a number of families were taking advantage. It's not very big if you are expecting Wisconsin Dells type of indoor swimming this isn't it.

Room Tip: Get one of the suite if you can afford it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
It was our pleasure having you as our guest last weekend. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and the event at the hotel. It was great to have the opportunity to show you our amenities we have to offer when catering events in our banquet space that can accommodate up to 200. Our goal is to make sure we exceed your expectations for your travelers and meetings. We look forward to working with you in 2014.
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for business. The staff was very pleasant. Room was clean. The lobby was inviting with a fireplace. The attached restaurant was pretty good. I didn't get to try the pool, but the noise from the pool can be loud. The shuttle drivers were pleasant and willing to take us to local eateries.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the pool for a quieter environment.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerps, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West during your business trip to Madison. The hotel offers a relaxing lobby featuring our Benvenuto's Bar to enjoy your favorite cocktail after a long day of traveling or meetings. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The hotel offers complimentary airport shuttle and shuttle to area companies, restaurants and shopping based on availability. We offer a variety of room types to choose from - standard kings to king suites. We hope to see you again when you are traveling back to Madison for business or pleasure
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The water park is awful. It's a small slide and fountain for young children. Family of hotel staff stayed above us - 8 PEOPLE - noise was horrible. Staff unhelpful. Bars, etc closed due to high vacancy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerps, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. The Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark is perfect for children ages 2 - 10. It features a boat area with small slides and 1 large slide that goes into the pool area. You can also relax in the whirlpool pool or play games in the game room area.
I apologize that our lobby bar area was not available for you during your stay. Our restaurant and bar - Benvenuto's is open 7am - 10pm daily. Please contact our hotel manager directly to discuss your concerns about the noise. Our goal is to make sure all of guest's have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. We hope you will give us the opportunity to discuss your concerns, so you will give us a second chance when you are visiting our area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Hampton Inn and Suites Madison West
Comfort Suites Madison West
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Radisson Hotel Madison
Radisson Hotel Madison
#16 of 63 in Madison
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Madison West

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!