“One night stay at Howard Johnson in Madison”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Denver
“One night stay at Howard Johnson in Madison”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel accomodated my needs - to be shuttled from airport to the hotel and back to the airport. My room was very clean and exceptionally well decorated with up-to-date design. A good overall experience!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! ! I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff, We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison real soon!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
La Crosse
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'd never stayed at a Howard Johnson before and wasn't sure what to expect. The lobby and room were up-to-date for an average room. My biggest disappointment was that our room had horrible wi-fi where we were located. Other guests reported it being fine. The breakfast was good (scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, oatmeal, muffins) that was made excellent by Mike, the man who was so energetic that it was catching. Aside from the wi-fi, my only complaint was as we went to check we had everything we found small garbage (plastic wrappers and some other items) between the bedskirt and bed stand that we know weren't ours.This caused our ranking to slip from excellent to average in cleanliness. The workout room had above-average equipment (except one of two treadmills wasn't working) except the hours were awful (7 a.m. opening versus earlier) especially considering there are no rooms nearby to disturb and was too hot.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I do apologize about the bed skirt issue and I will pass a long this information to my housekeeping supervisor. Our game room and work out room are 24/7 but our pool does have to close at 11pm but it reopens at 7am! I will pass along the feedback with our staff, We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison real soon!

The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza!

Travelers are raving about these Madison hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was just hoping to find a room for Homecoming weekend. I did, at the Howard Johnson and I was very happy with everything. Super friendly staff from my booking the room until I checked out. It is in a great location. Easy access to the Interstate or to Downtown. It was super clean from the public restrooms to my room. The pool was enormous. Game room, exercise room, awesome bar and a real hot, free breakfast. I even saw they have a fish fry. If I haven't mentioned the great staff and service it is something to repeat. Everyone I passed said "hello" and asked if I needed anything. My room was everything I wanted. Big, comfortable bed, plenty of space and storage, and the bathroom looked newly remodeled. Definitely going to use them again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff, We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison real soon!

Oakdale, Minnesota, Usa
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very nice hotel for the money. Very clean rooms with nice beds. Pool, hot tub and game room where really enjoyed by the kids. Best part was at breakfast time and our singing waiter he put a smile on everyones face with his smile and positive energy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! ! I will pass along the positive feedback with our staff and Mike our Breakfast attendant he will be thrilled to hear!, We appreciate all input! Thanks again for staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza! We hope to see you back in Madison real soon!

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel was booked us via our travel agent. We checked in late on a Friday evening & the hotel was busy with lots of noise drifting through to the reception area from the bar/games area. Children running around in bath robes & towels from the pool. We weren't impressed! The hotel itself (rooms & communal areas) were clean & comfortable but I always have to check the bed linen & whilst it was clean the sheets clearly hadn't been ironed but I can live with that as long as they're clean. However when I checked the pillows on the beds by removing the pillowcases I found the pillows were all brown stains. I know it's probably just me but I hate that sort of thing. Anyway, the rest of the room, which was huge was very clean & the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom again was large enough & clean & the shower was good. Our room was on the ground floor & we did experience a lot of noise & doors banging late at night. having said that it was a very busy weekend in Madison as there was a Badgers Football game the next day, it was also Parents weekend at the university & there was also a big conference that same weekend. The staff were friendly & helpful & the pool was brilliant. We took advantage of the pool on our last night & had it to ourselves. Clean, warm & spacious. We had a fridge & microwave in the room & bizarrely there was a coffee maker in the bathroom. A lovely Jacuzzi too. Breakfast was not good. Every day was cubed fried new potatoes, sausages, rubber scrambled eggs & some sort of cinnamon French toast. But paper plates!!! The only thing that made it worth going to breakfast was the elderly gentleman who worked there & who was very entertaining (singing, dancing & soo funny). Although it's not a deal breaker for us the Wi-Fi was fine. We used taxi's but there a bus stop right outside the hotel. This hotel would not be our first choice, compared with other hotels we stayed at during this visit but it wouldn't put me off staying there again for a short break.

Room Tip: I would think higher floors would be quieter. Ours was ground floor facing the car park.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. Although this is an older property, we are continually making improvements on the overall appearance of the hotel. I will forward these concerns to our general manager to ensure everything gets handled accordingly, We are in the process of a remodel, we just received new beds for the whole hotel, new work out facility, and we also just re-updated our largest indoor pool in madison! This next week we are also getting new Wireless Internet! We do take pride in cleanliness and our friendly staff. Please accept this as an apology and we hope your experience doesn't deter you from staying at Howard Johnson Plaza in the future.

Warmest Regards,