“Good service - nice hotel - but pricey”

Hampton Inn Madison East Towne Mall Area
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Sweden
“Good service - nice hotel - but pricey”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Spent two nights in Madison while in the area for business. Checked rates and locations and decided on the Hampton Inn, not expecting that much (first stay in the Hampton chain). Had a couple of (well, almost 60 pounds) packages that I asked to be sent to the hotel. Absolutely no problems. Checked in at 1:30 am due to traffic delays (bad weather) - checkin went swift and the packages were sent up to the room promtly so we could prepare.

Buffet breakfast included, was better than other inclusive breakfasts that I have had.

The hotel had a feeling of being redecorated and looked sleek, and nice, almost Scandinavian in its design. Lots of parking around the hotels - had no problems with that. Food options were also nearby if the buffet breakfast does not suit you.

All in all, a nice experience in a very nice city.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Minnesota
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This was a nice hotel, just like all Hampton Inns. However, a few nights before our stay, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Rockford, IL and that one is absolutely perfect. I had a REALLY difficult time getting to this hotel from the main road, especially when we just went across the highway to the mall area. I had to drive way down the highway to turn around. If I had known the area better I guess I could have figured it out, but this was my first time in Madison and I was very frustrated. The daytime front desk staff wasn't very friendly, but the nightime staff was very friendly and helpful. Our A/C didn't appear to be working in our room and they came up right away to change the battery in our thermostat. However, the A/C did not kick on until the next morning. It was a bit stuffy in our room all night. When I realized that it wasn't working, my son was asleep and I didn't want to disturb him by calling the front desk. We slept well, but I like to have it cooler when I sleep. I was wondering if the guests get limited control of the temp to keep the hotel "green". All-in-all, it was a nice hotel. The rooms are gorgeous and beds are comfortable (as always). The pool and business center were nice. The breakfast was big and delicious. If I need to stay in Madison again though, I might stay at the Hampton Inn West instead, just because of my frustration with the location of this one.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Don't park in the side lot of this hotel. Our car and those of several others guests were broken into. Disappointing response from the front desk staff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I stayed at this Hampton Inn while in the Madison area for business. The location is great you are only minutes from everything in Madison. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and the price is right. It lives up to the Hampton Inn reputation if you are familiar with the chain, it's my preferred hotel for business.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Lake Minnetonka
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I agree with all the above reviews. The people were friendly, the rooms were newly redone, the beds were very comfortable, and even the flowers outside were beautiful. The only suggestion i would have would be to have more healthy choices for breakfast. (ww breads, ripe(not green) bananas, lower fat hot choices)

• Liked — The cleanliness.
  • Disliked — The location.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2008

When I think of "Hampton Inn," I think budget hotel. The decor at this Hampton Inn certainly did not suggest this. With the dark wood furniture, white sheets, classy black & white photographs accompanying the room numbers, and modern lobby, I felt like I was at a Sheraton or Westin. Little wonder it got such good reviews! The staff was friendly and considerate too - we asked for a room that wasn't facing the highway and she took it a step further by giving us a room away from the area with lots of kids.

The free breakfast was also a step up from your usual continental breakfast - it included sausage and eggs that you can make a biscuit sandwich with, among a variety of other usual items. We didn't get to use their pool but it looked nice from afar. The base price was $119 but we had a 20% off coupon through Orbitz.

• Liked — Room decor
  • Disliked — Breakfast was a little crowded - people (including us!) probably slept in as late as possible since it was the 4th July weekend
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed May 14, 2008

This hotel is a great property. I travel several times a month for business and a lot for liesure as well.

This hotel is one of the best I have stayed at in the past five years. This place is SPOTLESS, updated, friendly, hip and close to most everything.

- The rooms are smaller but clean and updated, with a nice bathroom and a 37" LCD TV.

- The hotel is updated and is very hip in it's decor. From the lobby to the rooms, they have done a fantastic job of making this hotel comfortable.

- The front desk staff was always friendly and helpful. Check
in/out was a breeze.

- Breakfast was better than most hotels I have stayed at. Warm food, not just muffins/toast. Fruit, cereals, GOOD coffee and the food and dining area was spotlessly clean.

I travel a lot and have only good things to say about this place. With so many hotels out there to choose from, it's nice to see a property that has hit a home run!

If you want a great place to stay while in the Madison area, stay here. You will not be dissapointed.

• Liked — Clean and updated
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dwctraveler