“Excellent stay.”

Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Decatur
“Excellent stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Our stay at the hotel was excellent. We had a clean, comfortable room with a refrigerator and microwave. The PC in the lobby was handy for finding information on local attractions. The man at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good, with a grill to make mini-waffles. We didn't use the pool, but the few kids in it seemed to be having a good time. With road construction on Rt. 151, the hotel was a bit difficult to locate, as it is set back on the side street. However, it was worth the search, as we got great value for an overnight stay. Several restaurants are located conveniently nearby, too. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave62521

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wausau, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

We checked in to stay on Friday 9-16-11 and first found that the room they put us in lacked the ammendities that we had payed for. So we were moved to a second room. When we turned in for the evening my daughter found a bug in her bed. We didn't think much of it because little critters have a way of finding there way into places we don't want them. But the next morning she woke up to find 3 more bugs in bed with her.
We told the front desk attendant who though helpful in the way of calling the maitenance man to take a look, never took the ipod out of his left ear when speaking with us.The maitenance man was very concerned, and genuine to hear about the bugs. They switched our room, again, and the maitenance man said that he would look the room over that day.
We turned in on Saturday night and found yet another bug. We thought perhaps he had hitched a ride on our luggage from the previous room. This bug we wrapped in paper towel and froze to give to the maitenance man the next morning. Sunday morning my daughter woke up and found dozens of bites all over her chest, neck, arms, and these bites over the past 24- 48 hours have multiplied and spread to her face/eyes as well. There was also a bug on the bathroom floor. This bug was much bigger, I do have a picture of this bug, the bug we froze and gave to the fron desk upon check out. When we got home and had a chance to look up the bugs, and compare pictures of the bugs and the bites and found to our horror that they are consistant with BED BUGS.
On top of this, upon checking out we gave the bug that we caught to the front desk attendant who promised a full refund, and to be contacted by Tuesday 9-20-11. I have not heard from them, nor have I received my refund from priceline, or your hotel chain. This experience has been unacceptable, and has robbed us of the peace of mind a person is entitled to when taking a vacation. We are both horrifed to think to book another room anywhere!! Super 8 was a respectable hotel chain that I have booked with in the past. Not so sure I will ever be again. Nor will I be willing to recommend this chain to anyone.
After the results of our research confirmed our suspiscions, we had to throw away our pillows, mine being three expensive feather pillows, and my daughers. This was a very costly thing that needed to be done. Along with needing to finds ways to santitize our luggage which in this climate is not easy. We needed to wash all of our clothing, whether it was worn or not for fear of carrying the pests into our homes.
It turned what was supposed to be a really fun trip into a nightmare. My daughter incurred two doctor visits due to those bug bites and also has scars on her body from them.
Do not stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa L

Travelers are raving about these Madison hotels

Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Badger game fans and Dairy Expo attendees made rooms hard to find in Madison last weekend. This Super 8 had staff who tried to be helpful, but who seemed inadequately trained to provide the best service possible. When mold was found in one room, the offer to switch to another room was nice, but the second room had mold and a cobweb and a broken sink. The front desk staff had a difficult time charging the correct credit card and extending a stay without making a tenant switch rooms. However the breakfast was delicious and the staff courteous.

Room Tip: Specify size of beds preferred, we had to pay extra for a cot, since only a one king bed room was av...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

This stay was not booked in advance. We needed a place to stay and I do have Wyndham rewards. Asked for two rooms which was no problem. The room rate was very good I felt. My room was the cleanest I have ever seen at any hotel including the higher end chains. The bathroom looked like it had just been finished. No signs of mold or mildew. The walls and floor were CLEAN. The bed was quite comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dorian S
Natchitoches, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Location: Access off of East Washington Ave. kind of tricky when you are trying to find it.

First Impression: Looks like every other Super 8. Low quality, budget. Had to drag desk clerk away from visiting family (clearly a priority) to answer a question about the room, response was curt, hurried, but polite.

Room: Spongy floor and furniture was damp too, no mirco or fridge, stains, garage sale/curb quality furniture, ceiling touch up paint many shade different, blanket felt like Styrofoam or insulation. The bed was OK to sleep on. No bugs present. The sink was set up to stream 2 inches from the back of the bowl so you are constantly hitting the sink back just trying to wash your hands-good luck filling the coffee machine.

Hotel: Labyrinth to access room, few stairways. Evens are rooms on the inside, pool facing or front drive/neighborhood facing. Ask for these. Odd number rooms are facing the highway, very loud and constant noise. Not pleasant. The 3rd floor is enclosed, there is no outside corridor.

Breakfast: Gravy and biscuits, NO fruit/yogurt, gas station quality mini muffins, bagels, dry cereal, mini waffle machine, watery OJ and apple juice. Totally unappealing.

The worst: Horrible tea kettle blasting loud squealing noise when the shower is in use, extraordinarily slow drain, like wading in your shower.

Do not recommend. Even for a budget stay. Yuck!

Room Tip: Can't imagine that there are good rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanStac
plymouth, mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

This hotel is located right off the hiway at the edge of Madison. It's down a little drive witha few other hotels and chain restaurants, but tucked away in a nice setting. My window overlooked the hiway, but there was no issue with noise or anything. The front desk guy was a bit salty, not too eager to please or overly-friendly, but not a complete jerk or anything. I was surprised to see a pool there too - which was really inviting in the 90+ degree heat. I was told by a travelling companion that the pool was nice, but very heavily chlorinated.

The hotel was a bit tight on security. You needed to insert your key to use the elevator, which was strange when the stairs were right there and led to the same place. My room was fairly run-of-the-mill, but quiet, clean and funtional. Everything worked fine - TV, wifi, air.. no complaints at all.

Overall this was a fine Supr 8 - it's not the Ritz, but for a budget it was just fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tomball, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

First of all the hotel staff was very friendly. Yet we killed over five spiders in the room. We moved to two rooms and both had spiders. The first room was a nonsmoking room, but it reeked with smoke. The second room did not smell like smoke, but it had a very dirty floor. There was a sign on the desk in the room that was two sided and on one side it said "Make this room super clean" on the other side it said "do not disturb". Since I followed directions I put the sign up two days to the side that said make my room super clean. The room was not even touched. I went to the front desk and they sent someone to clean it. The cleaning manager had the audacity to tell me that I was not putting the sign up right and that I need to recheck my reading. I told him that I knew how to read well and was doing it right. The third day I put the sign up again and the room was not clean. The cleaning lady finally said that it did not matter what side I put the sign in that any side meant that no cleaning was to be done and the manager said that I was lucky he was still there because cleaning was to be done by 3 and it was already 5. It was a big mess and I got frustrated of having to chase the cleaning crew every day to make sure my room was clean. Even though I told them the first day that it was dirty and I needed it clean every day they still made it hard. The location of the hotel is perfect, the pool is great, but that is where it all stopped.

Room Tip: Don't put up any sign if you want your room clean.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family