“Joke's on you”

Motel 6 Madison East
Ranked #60 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Although it was a year ago I stayed here, I had to comment because some things don't change. This was a very crappy Madison hotel that had a Baymont sign slapped on it, a trend that is happening more and more if you have seen what are passing for Baymonts these days. The only saving grace was the beds had all been replaced and the girl at the front desk was very professional... this was not enough to make up for the fact that this building is hopelessly out of date in its plumbing, electrical, accessibility, and general needs of travelers. Plus, people actually live in the hotel (it is a stop for the school bus) and you can hear their domestic disputes going on through the thin walls at all hours of the night. I specifically asked for a handicapped accessible room for my sister in law, and they put her on the 2nd floor even though there is no elevator and the landing on the stairways are so tiny you have to back down one step to open the heavy door. When they moved her downstairs, it was right next to one of the soon-to-be-drunk-and-screaming families. Although spruced up, the lobby is a tiny little nook (okay when you are the only one there, but insane if other people are there checking in or out) and the breakfast room was like a closet. I am not a fussy traveler: clean, comfortable, and quiet are my only requirements. When I saw this "new" Baymont in Madison, I thought I had discovered a gem, and it was all a big joke... on me.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ChevyHeaven
AaronHanus, General Manager at Motel 6 Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2010

Clearly we were not performing to our usual high standards during your stay and for that I sincerely apologize. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our staff. We have now fully completed our renovation including all new bedding, drapes, vanities and much more. We are now under new management, please accept my invitation to come back and visit to see what a truly great property we are now!

Reviewed September 9, 2009

If you need something cheap and close to east towne, you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect a fabulously clean room or great service from the staff.

The room was a bit tight for four people, but it had everything we needed, was well-lit, and everything in the room worked. The beds were comfortable, the shower was very nice, and we didn't hear much noise from the other rooms. The free breakfast was pretty typical continental, but crammed into a pretty tight corner or the lobby.

While the bathroom was immaculate, the room itself which was supposedly non-smoking was anything but. Even though it didn't smell like smoke, the furniture had cigarette burns, and there were burn holes on both bedspreads and blankets. The hallways smelled smoky and damp. There were also some disconcerting "popping" sounds that would come from the wall outlet when the TV was turned on.

Check in and out were a breeze, but a request for extra towels took over an hour to be filled, and the staff never seemed particularly pleased to be bothered.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
AaronHanus, General Manager at Motel 6 Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2010

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a trip advisor review. We have recently gained new vibrant employees and Management. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Contact me directly at 608-241-3861 for future reservations in the Madison area I will be glad to discount your next stay. Sincerely, Aaron Hanus General Manager Baymont Inn & Suites Madison East, WI

Reviewed March 3, 2009

I have never stayed at this location before. I was surprised that the lobby looked very new, and looks like many things where new (Which I liked). Upon enetring room found it be very clean and the location of the building was great, was right near a large mall. Staff was friendly and helpful. If traveling to Madison I would reccomend staying to see what you think, worth the price.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JacobD
AaronHanus, General Manager at Motel 6 Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2010

So glad you stayed with us @ the Baymont. We look forward to having you back again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservation. Aaron Hanus, General Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2008

I won a room here through Priceline. I was a bit concerned when I realized that it was the old Exel Inn, and checking the reviews here did not help me feel much better.

I'm happy to report that my experience here was just fine. The late night clerk was very accomodating & helpful. I was offered a choice of bed types, floors, and smoking vs. non.

It seems to me like they are doing a great deal of work to improve this hotel. The room could use some updating, there's still work to be done. Overall, I would gladly stay here again. The price was right & the location was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for the positive comments. It was our pleasure serving you and we hope to see you again soon! Aaron Hanus, General Manager

Reviewed August 18, 2008

First, priceline's 2 star rating in my opinion is wrong. It is an outdated "Exel Inn" with a Baymont bag over the sign. If you bid and end up here, they will not give you a king or queen room, even if they are available. The sheets had some questionable stains, the "nonsmoking" room smelled like a combination of smoke and killer airfreshner, the long dark hallway contains an unsafe ramp, and it appears quite a few people "live there". I travel quite frequently and have never taken the time to write a review, but felt compelled to warn you on this one.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JamesWisconsin
jlew923, General Manager at Motel 6 Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2009

We apologize for any inconvienance. We strive for the best in customer service and dedication to a quality product. Please contact me the next time you visit Madison, we look forward to discounting your future stay.

Reviewed September 24, 2007

A fairly minimum room at a fairly minimum price. Room was clean, everything worked, and the motel seemed to be well managed.
Perhaps too well managed. We reserved far in advance for a football weekend but on arrival after the game we were given a smoking room ("the last available"). It was alledged that Expedia had mishandled our request for non-smoking.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Hi,
I stayed 1 night at the Exel Inn. I think it was a good value for the price. The room was big, clean, not so ugly, and it had everything one needs (tv, fridge, microwave, ironing board...). The staff was friendly even when we checked in at 1AM !
Enjoy your stay !