“Started out okay, ended up bad.”

Motel 6 Madison East
Ranked #59 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were in town on a combination business/family trip, and we were initially pleased that this hotel was convenient to the mall and multiple dining options. Our plans were to stay Thursday and Friday, and when we decided to add on Saturday we were told that we would have to change rooms. Fine, we can do that. They told us that our room for Thurs-Fri would be a king suite and then we would move to a normal "queen" room on Saturday.

The king suite was very nice, relatively roomy. We loved that there were two bathrooms and two desk areas. The fridge was nice to have, too, and it was helpful to have two televisions so that different family members could watch different things. The sink-right-next-to-the-door thing was a little unwieldy, I never got used to the fact that there were no trash cans in the bathrooms and the toilet seemed to flush in slow motion, but the shower was great. No real complaints.

We dutifully packed up our things on Saturday morning and checked out, then checked back in on Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure exactly what this bed is called, but it's definitely not a queen-size. I'd call it a really wide twin or a really narrow full. The room itself was smallish, but that was workable. The size of the bed was the only real problem. We could easily sleep on a queen-size bed with our young daughter between us, but on this one it was nearly impossible.

We went to the front desk and told them about the problem, but they didn't rectify the situation because we were "paying less than the queen rate". We would have paid the queen rate to get the larger bed, and that's what we thought we were doing! I'd rather that than try and sleep in a rickety armchair because I'd fallen out of bed one too many times. They also tried to tell us that it had been our error when booking, which is harder to believe given that we called to make the reservation and (believe me) we would never have said "Oh, no, the queen bed's too big, we need something smaller." Very displeased with the turn of events, and it paints our whole stay in a more negative light.

The property itself, as I said, is convenient to the mall (you have to cross some parking lots and an access road, but it's not impossible). There are lots of dining options in the area. They have a breakfast bar that includes an intriguing DIY fresh waffle machine, but the small breakfast area was so packed I couldn't even get anywhere near it and just had to grab a banana. The internet is free, but bandwidth use is monitored.

We're moving on to a different hotel to finish our stay, and we're very relieved at the prospect of finally being able to sleep.

Room Tip: book a suite if possible...standard guest rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kitsa

Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed for a week and had an enjoyable time. The room was adequate and clean. the only complaint would be the sink area is very small and in the way by the door. The breakfast was very good with waffles, fresh fruit. cereal and assorted breads. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Gave us great tips on where to eat..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn999
BaymontEastMadison, Manager at Motel 6 Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a Review on us on trip advisor. There are numerous restaurants next to us as we are also within walking distance of the mall as well. We hope the next time you are in town, you will think of us!

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I was upgrated to a suite free.A noisy toilet kept me up half a night until I closed the bathroom door.Good breakfast . Far from downtown for the price. No pool. Better options closer to the city center.
I slept on a sofa bed ,not bad but to close to A/C .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
BaymontEastMadison, General Manager at Motel 6 Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Thank you for taking a few moments to out down a review of your stay while you were in Madison. I want to apologize for the running toilet as these are items our maintenance team can usually repair very quickly. Although we are not right downtown, we do have quite a few other things that are very close to us such as East Towne Mall, Mallards Baseball games, as well as numerous restaurants within a few short blocks of us. Hopefully you will keep us in Mind if you travel back to Madison and are looking to stay somewhere on the east side of Madison versus being right downtown.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

Was down from La Crosse Wi for a FEMA course for 2 nights. The hotel was clean, bed was comfortable, the breakfast bar was good with fruits, waffles, rolls, cereal, etc. It was not fancy, but for the price ($53) was more than I expected. The room was not large, the bath was small, and the sink area was very small as well. This was not the Crown Royal I stayed at a couple of months before ($129), but serves the needs if you don't need the frills. The staff was very courteous, and helpful. Their attitudes were great! I will not hesitate to stay there again when the need arises.

Room Tip: Ask for AARP discounts
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking a few short moments to give us such a great review! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you think of us again the next time you are in Madison!

Reviewed May 29, 2011

The 2 star rating given to the Baymont Inn is misleading. Unfortunately, this is the 2nd time I got stuck staying here. No matter how many people in your party, when booking through priceline they assign you a tiny, dated, cramped room w/a small double bed barely big enough for 2 people and extremely uncomfortable for sleeping. Called the Baymont in advance when I got stuck again for the 2nd time through priceline to upgrade my room to 2 beds which the Baymont employee agreed to. Upon arrival a week later, I was told that there weren't any 2 bed rooms available. My son got stuck sleeping on the floor. We were upgraded for the 2nd night, but if you do get a room upgrade, they slap you w/an $11 add on fee. Called priceline and suggested that they rate this place w/only ONE star. They advised me in the future to bid a little higher and to go for a 2 and 1/2 star rating for this locale.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank cjahn70

Thank you for taking the time to give the hotel a review of your past stay. I apologize for the inconvienence you went through while making your reservations through priceline. The hotel is now under new management as of July and we are looking to improve issus such as yours going further.

Reviewed May 27, 2011

This was the first time I have ever had a hotel tell me there would be an upcharge for an accessible room. Additionally, the front desk clerk was extremely rude and demeaning. In all the traveling I have done, this is the first time I have ever felt discriminated against due to a disability. If the clerk had not been so demeaning, I probably would have paid the extra fee without issue, but his attitude really turned this into an incredibly embarrasing and unhappy situation for me and my family.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cbrandt1209

I want to apologize for the last stay you had at our property while you were in Madison. The hotel is under new management as of July and we are looking to improve issues such as these going forward. Please think of us the next time you are in Madison. Thank you.

Reviewed May 17, 2011

For 30$ i thought i had found a great deal, boy was i wrong!!!! We arrive and see a dark drab room with dingy stained towels and old worry out decor... The general appeal was frankly depressing and partys going on all around (not fun when trying to put a toddler to sleep. Then to be awakened at 3am by a staff member saying he smells marijuana smoke in the lobby and corridor and says ME & my daughter (1 year old) and husband must leave. Seeing as how it was 3am, i had to get dressed and see what on earth us going on. I go to the front (passing a room having an active party) to ask the problem and solve it as me and my daughter area irritated and eager to get back to back to bed. The staff aggressivly snapped at me when i told him he must have the wrong room, to please further investigate. He cut me off so i asked for a supervisor which he refused then i asked for the # to corporate which he also refused and then got very aggressive and far beyond rude with my daughter in my arms, and this is the WORST establishment I've ever been to ever!!! NOT A PLACE FOR FAMILY.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank abbottpres

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey on our hotel. I want to apologize for how your last stay was. I can understand how frustrated you must have been when this issue presented itself at the time it presented itself. The hotel is now under new management as of July and we are looking to improve going forward. Hopefully the next time you are in Madison you will think of us and give us another try!