“Decent stay, but rooms need some work”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent stay, but rooms need some work”
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I stayed here on business in January, 2008. As other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is under construction. There were some pretty major renovations happening in the lobby, but that'll be over soon (and, from the looks of it, the lobby needed it). The rooms appeared to have been renovated, but for renovated rooms there was still some run-down and sloppy stuff -- peeling wallpaper, etc. Furniture was average. The hallways were nice and bright. The check-in experience wasn't great -- I arrived late and waited several minutes for someone to come to the desk, who was then very slow at check-in. The worst part was breakfast. The regular restaurant was being renovated, so the breakfast buffet had been moved to a meeting room. There was no server, so I seated myself; it was several minutes before a server arrived. The buffet was gross: the biscuits had been sitting for hours and were cold and hard, etc. I imagine there are better options in Madison.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 20, 2008

This hotel is under construction. Sounds of jack hammers and buzz saws permeate the air. A crane that was being used to install paneling crashed into the canopy over the reception desk while we were checking in, tearing a big hole in the fabric and almost knocking the framework down upon us. The staff was mildly concerned. A small bar overlooks the lobby excavation site, it has a good menu. The breakfast: $12.95 for a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee, served in Meeting Room 2A. I had to get special permission from the front desk to make outside calls from my room phone. This will probably be a nice hotel when it's finished, but for now it's routine accommodations at deLuxe prices.

• Liked — Shuttle to/from airport
  • Disliked — Hotel is undergoing major renovation and currently has no restaurant
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank qbus
CrownePlazaMadison, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
HARD HAT'S AWAY, THE CROWNE PLAZA MADISON HAS COMPLETED A $5 MILLION RENOVATION...we've read all of your feedback in regard to the difficulties hotel's face when going through a significant renovation such as ours. Although we morphed somewhat with migrating food and beverage outlets and disruption by way of noise and dust, we totally appreciated your honest and genuine comments as they helped the hotel team better navigate through all of the externalities. Thanks to all of you that traveled along and now get to enjoy a truly magnificent end product with all the award winning service you have come to expect. See you soon, tell your friends and neighbors...WE'RE BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!

Travelers are raving about these Madison hotels

Minneapolis
Reviewed December 14, 2008

We've stayed here a couple times since summer 2008. And still the property is a mess of construction. Basic things like the bar and restaurant are in temporary quarters like meeting rooms! The bar supposedly a had a grand opening two nights ago - but it's not even finished, with banquet chairs standing in for lounge chairs.

I asked when things will be completed and nobody seems to know. This used to be a nice place to stay, as we have over the past few years. But for several months now, and for who knows how much longer, basic amenities are severely lacking. I strongly advise against a stay here until they finish making this into, hopefully, the nice hotel it used to be.

• Liked — nice pool
  • Disliked — still under re-construction
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank joemooneypilot
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for business. I usually stay at the Marriott and really like the Concourse - my favorite.

The Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle to/from the airport. The night I came in, they didn't have a driver so they said to take a cab at the hotel's expense. That worked very well and the cab was paid quickly - no fuss. The checkin process was fast and efficient - the staff very nice and welcoming.

The Crowne Plaza room was similar to the Marriott in appearance but a tad more modern. The bedding wasn't as crisp as the Marriott and the bed was harder but fine for the night.

The positives - FREE internet - highspeed wireless - worked well. I ordered a brat reuben /fries from room service and it was delivered within 20 mins, hot and quite tasty. The room was comfortable, clean, nice shampoo/lotion/soaps. If the Concourse and Marriott are full - the Crowne would be my next choice. A good business hotel. I didn't use the gym but there were a lot of people in it - glass walls so quite bright and inviting. The gym at the Marriott is small and closed in - the gym here was larger and well lit.

• Liked — Excellent customer service - staff were welcoming and helpful
  • Disliked — Bed - I like soft soft soft beds
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We stayed in this hotel in June after our flight was cancelled and the room was awful. They are in the process of renovating and perhaps we got an old room, but the bed was terrible and the lighting dark and insufficient. When I asked at the desk about the beds, which were advertised to be the "best in Madison" I was told that they were not part of the renovation, so don't expect a better bed if you get a new room. There are many places that are better to stay at in Madison.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Room condition
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jessica1017
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed one night here with my ten year old triplets and my sister, who was flying out of Madison the next day.
We arrived around 11:30 pm and checked into our room. It was clean and very comfortable. I had promised the kids that they would get to go swimming, but because of our late arrival time, we had to wait until morning.
Breakfast at the hotel is over at 11:00, however, we got a late start and when I called the dining room at 10:55 a.m., I was told they would be happy to prepare our breakfast and deliver it to the room. It was a large order and it was delivered within 15 minutes, hot and fresh.
Check out time was noon, but when I inquired about the kids going swimming, the front desk clerk said she would be happy to extend our check out time until 2 p.m. I didn't even ask for that, but appreciated the offer. We were able to enjoy our swim and return to the room to clean up and dress before heading to the airport.
We travel alot and I found this hotel and it's employees refreshing. It isn't the least expensive, or the most upscale, but as weary travelers in need of a respite, it was a great place to stay. They were happy to help with anything we needed and that, to me, is PRICELESS!

• Liked — Cheerful and helpful employees throughout
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights. We selected this hotel because of its location--very convenient to the Interstate and shopping/restaurants--and we received what I thought was a good deal ($89/night through the Entertainment book).
The hotel is clean and the indoor pool area looked inviting, although we did not use it. We did notice a musty/smoky smell upon entering the lobby from the side door.
Our room was relatively spacious and the bed and pillows were comfy. Even though our room was near the elevator, the noise didn't keep us up.
The hotel is in the process of renovating and we experienced two incidents related to it -- our shower did not work (bath worked fine), and later I came back to our room to brush my teeth...no water! In both cases we called down to the front desk and a maintenance person responded right away. I wish the hotel would have let us know when we made the reservation that renovations were going on, and let us know ahead of time that the water supply may be turned off at times.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, relatively quiet
  • Disliked — Bathroom problems due to renovations
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple