“This was ok”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison
Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was worried as there were mixed reviews...but this hotel was an ok experience.
Staff was nice although they could not sort out my reservation ( part points, part paid) easily. I thought the room could have been a bit more luxe in appointments and the shower was not such a wonderful thing-- but it was all ok. The pool was ok and clean. I had a little sitting area---and the televisions(2) were painfully slow to move channel to channel.. but there was a good variety. no experience with food--but close to lots of places to eat. easy on/off highways. Bed linen a bit tired but clean. towels could have been a better quality--
I will stay again-- and it has access for disabled people so I applaud them for their efforts in the area..it must not have been an easy renovation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. I am glad you enjoyed the pillow menu and amenities. I do apologize for the shower not working properly as well as the difficulty you had when checking in.
Our goal is to exceed all of our guest's expectations, and we do take all comments very seriously.
We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Conveniently located and near many restaurants. The beds were comfy and I loved the "pillow menu" with various options! Also loved the bedtime pillow spray and body/foot creams! The pool and hot ton were very clean and nice. There's a Starbucks in the lobby too!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The public areas were excellent, and the location was ideal for us. The 3-pack of relaxing facecream, airspray and body lotion for deep relaxation and better sleep was really nice, as were the soaps, lotions, shampoo, and pillows.

The Staff was very friendly and helpful. We asked for a grocery store in the area, and were given very good directions.

There was a sock under the bed that was not ours and a large hairspray cap left behind the t.v., This is not a big deal, but cleaning needs to be more thorough. The room was just an average-sized hotel room with two double beds. The upholstered chair was worn out.

Upscale public areas and wonderful lotions and potions in the rooms, along with a "pillow menu", were very nice, but the actual room is just your regular average hotel room. The pool area is also very nice but visible to everyone entering the lobby because it has a pool length plate glass window on the lobby side. Imagine lounging about in your swimsuit with the wedding guests and bridal parties for 2 different weddings looking in at you. We were also not able to obtain a room with a single king or queen bed, unless we paid the upgrade for a suite. This may be because we booked this room through Priceline.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We welcome all comments. Although it is disappointing to receive negative comments it does give us the opportunity to correct any issues. I sincerely apologize for the lack of housekeeping you encountered during your stay. That is unexceptable and I assure you it has been discussed with the Housekeeping Manager, as this is not typical of our housekeeping staff. I am glad you enjoyed the new lotions in the room. They are a new product and the guests are really enjoying them.
You are correct the pool area is different with the glass enclosing the area; however it is a very inviting pool, and is used on a regular basis.
We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Got a great rate on priceline and Kristin at the front desk got us a great room. She is always a smiling face to greet you...the best! Crowne Plaza here has the most comfortable beds and the pillows are amazing. The only problem I had was with the housekeeping. Before checking out we found a dirty pair of men's underwear on the back corner of the sofa...disgusting. And the bathroom floor was sticky so we threw a towel over it. I would sty here again but please oversee your housekeeping department more closely.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CheeseMom52
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here twice within a two week timeframe - July 11-14 & July 17-21. The first three nights went off without a hitch. Room was perfectly situated for us (room 101 near the side door with easy access to parking lot). Staff was very friendly and the housekeepers did a great job replenishing and cleaning our rooms on a daily basis. The second stay, the 17-21 was not so smooth. I actually asked for the same room again as it was such a good location, and was switched there, so that was nice. However, the a/c in the hotel was not able to handle the heat that seemed to be a surprise, in July, to everyone at the Hotel. The first night we returned we were never able to get the room comfortable. When we called maintenance the next morning, the electrician checked our unit, It was blowing cold air, but just not able to cool down the room. He actually said he thought our room was the coolest in the hotel (I felt sorry for everyone else then). As the heat came down outside over the next few days the room began to become tolerable, but the hotel really needs to look into either upgrading their a/c at a minimum or devise a better way to handle this type of heat issue. The other issue I had the second time is housekeeping knocking at 8am to check on cleaning a room. 8am...really? I don't think I have ever had housekeeping check that early, and yes, I realize I did not have the do not disturb sign out but again, 8am? The following day I did have the sign out, and my husband and I were in the room until around 11:30 and they actually knocked to check if we wanted service, that time I was a little annoyed since the sign was there, what does do not disturb mean to them? Lastly, there is no ice machine on the first floor of this hotel why? Is it because there is a washer/dryer on the 1st floor? I went up to the 2nd floor on several occasions to get ice and to the restaurant on several occasions, I preferred neither option. It is very likely we will stay at this hotel in the future as it's location is great for who we are visiting in the area, but there are many properties in the area and if you're going during the heat of summer you might want to think twice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank doreendev
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I also want to apologize for the air conditioning problem you incured during your stay. We have had a few issues, which are now resolved. I also want to assure you the issues you had with the Housekeeping Department has been addressed with the Manager. Our goal is to provide consistent service, as well as exceed our guests expectations. Clearly we did not meet your expectations, and please know we take these comments very seriously.
We do hope you will give us the opportunity to continue to serve you during your visits to Madison.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Comfortable place to stay. Booked our room through Priceline and placed on the 6th floor. The room was clean and the AC was quiet. Our room had two double beds. The 6th floor appears to be reserved for IHG rewards members or frequent customers during the week, but is open for all guests on the weekends. It has a nice pool, whirlpool, and work out gym. Its location is close to downtown, but far enough that you will have to drive. Overall, it was comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank STPMKH

Thank you for posting your comments during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. I am glad you enjoyed your room, as well as our beautiful pool area. Yes, you do have to drive to downtown Madison, but it's only 5 miles, and we are very convenient to restaurants, the mall and the Interstate.
Our goal is to provide the finest service in the area, and we hope we are given the opportunity to serve you during your next visit to Madison.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

From the reviews of this hotel, I thought that we'd be staying in a dump. I actually didn't think that it was that bad, but I agree that it needs a refresh and some attention to maintenance. The staff was super friendly, the hotel was really dog friendly, and we slept well. If you can deal with an older hotel in need of some fixes, I'd recommend it. If you are looking for an upscale/posh experience, this is not the hotel for you. But seriously, it's really not as bad as a lot of reviewers are saying!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda M
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

I have reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. Thank you for your comments in regards to the staff, and being a pet friendly hotel. We are hoping to update the guest rooms in the near future, and we do hope you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate we do offer the finest service in the area.

Best regards,