“Neat”

Hubbell Trading Post
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Ganado
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The squeaky wooden floor greets your entry into the oldest operating trading post on the Navajo Nation. When your eyes adjust to the dim light in the "bullpen" you find you’ve just entered a mercantile. Hubbell's has been serving Ganado selling groceries, grain, hardware, horse tack, coffee and Native American Art since 1878. Discover Hubbell Trading Post NHS, where history is made every day. Hubbell Trading Post is the oldest continuously operated trading post in the southwest. While you are here, you can shop in the trading post for authentic Native-made art, walk around the old homestead which is still a living farm and ranch, and take a ranger-guided tour of the historic Hubbell home.
Rydal, GA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Neat”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I really enjoyed walking through the building and seeing all the neat things they had. We didn't go on a tour due to time, but the main building was neat and had the old desks in it. Everything for sale is really, really expensive. I ended up buying a small version of a framed mini-loom that had the different plants used to dye the yarn, but only because i havn't seen those anywhere else. The jewlery and rugs were really pricey, and I would rather buy directly from the people rather than the marked up value they charge at the trading post. There was a second building that had tons of books, and I did enjoy spending time in there. They had some local cook books

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Honeysuckle M

Santa Clara, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Visit to see weaving”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family, including my 4 year old very much enjoyed seeing a weaver, Ruby, working on a double sided rug.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank redorangewolf
Ft Walton Beach, FL
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Unique Piece of the Old West”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

While on the way from Canyon de Chelly to Albuquerque we stopped at the Hubble Trading Post and were pleasantly surprised. It is an authentic, active trading post with an interesting history. The grounds contain old stone houses, log barns, and vintage equipment sheds and we wandered through them all. The trading post itself is small but unique, a great place for photographers. There is a NP visitor’s center next to it that great displays describing the history of the area.

It doesn’t take very long to see the entire site. We were there about an hour. I wouldn’t make an out of the way detour to see it but if you happen to be passing by it is definitely worth the visit.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank JKB1989
San Diego, CA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“A nice place with living history”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We weren't sure about stopping here, but it was on our way and was one of the few parks in the area we haven't seen yet.

We were glad we stopped. The rangers were all very nice and helpful. Unfortunately not all the tours were open at the time of our visit due to some renovations. It was a quick visit (probably about one and half hours), but informative and the kids enjoyed seeing the animals.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank EsKezzy
Perth, Australia
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Anything and everything of days gone by”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

A historic look at a trading post of days gone by. I could tell as soon as I walked in the door and the floors squeaked loudly, that this was the real deal in trading posts. The rooms you could look through we're full of the Hubbell family relics and collections. One of the counter staff gave us a short history tour of the book and gun collections. Many things I saw I hadn't seen since my boyhood days and it brought back fond memories.
Across the parking lot is the Visitors Centre as well.
you can do a full tour of the outpost if you wish. Check inside the door for times. Surprisingly, wifi was also available which was a pleasant welcome to us after being 'incommunicado' for the past three days.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Allan C

Been to Hubbell Trading Post? Share your experiences!