“Great hotel for a slim pickings area”

Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Denver, Colorado
“Great hotel for a slim pickings area”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Mesa Verde National Park is a sight worth seeing and a very easy drive from Cortez, which is why we chose to stay at this hotel. The hotel is very clean, points for that. It is also a new-ish hotel, so things felt up to date. The free breakfast was fantastic in the morning. Pool a little lackluster, but does the job. The employees were very friendly. Liked the Native American Crafts made and sold by locals in the Lobby. Good choice for a one or two night stay, if you are in the area.

1 Thank MountainOceanGirl
Justin V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
MountainOceanGirl! What a great name! I agree on our pool needing some umph. That’s why we have some GREAT plans for our Indoor Pool this winter!! Love your ideas on what we could do to rock it out. Thanks for the Awesome review!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel was a good option for Cortez. I wipe all the areas down with disinfecting wipes and this hotel passed except the bunk beds. I have noticed that hotels seem to neglect children areas and cribs when they clean. I don't know why this is since they tend to be the dirtiest. The standing light in our room was also the light bulb section pulled out and hanging sideways. I forgot to mention this to the staff. We just didn't use this light.

The kids loved the bunk beds. You really have to watch younger children around those bunk beds though which could end up being a hassle. Overall one of the better hotels in Cortez and it was close enough to Mesa Verde and four corners.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Travelingaroundtheus!! Thanks for the Awesome review! I spoke with Niki and Angel our Housekeeping Superstars, and they are diving into the issue right now; and I am replacing two of our five cribs that were starting to look a little tired. So glad you liked the fort, I am trying to add three more of these rooms to the hotel and am shooting for this winter!! Thank you again for taking the time to review us!!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2014

It's expensive for an Express but well located. We had a roll in shower which was adequate but the shower curtain is for a tub shower and as a result the entire bathroom floor gets wet. There was confusion as to whether or not the accessible lift to the pool worked. I'd recommend staff training on the lift be mandatory. Koko's next door is a great restaurant after a long day's drive.

Room Tip: Room 115 has a roll in shower and is next to the desk.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Scrappy Texan! You rule! Thanks for the great review and for letting us know how the accessible rooms served you. I agree on the shower curtain length for the roll in shower, we are hemming one right now. The pool lifts work perfectly we just have not been training properly as you surmised, don’t worry, were on that too! What did you eat at Koko’s?? My favorite is the Quail now! It used to be the Anasazi Burger. Thanks for taking the time Texas!!
Bangor
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Used this hotel as a stopover on way from Vegas to Telluride and as a convenient location for Four Corners and Mesa Verde NP. Perfect family hotel with a great kids nook attached to our room. Good location and decent breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Justin V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
PGKBangor! That sounds like an Awesome trip, two of my favorite places, now all you need to do is throw a beach in there and you could call it paradise! Thanks for the great review!!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Mesa Verde and were very pleased. The hotel is at the east end of town, a short 8-mile drive or so to Mesa Verde. The hotel is newer, with a funky western décor, and is well kept and clean. Our room was of good size and very clean. Nice pillows. Good hot breakfast in the morning -- enough variety to satisfy everyone in the family. Two small gripes -- the in-room internet service was weak, and the bar next door would not let me take a drink to go. (When you check in, the front desk staff gives you a coupon for a free drink to the bar next door, but you can't take the drink back to your room. You have to sit at the bar and drink it. Not sure if this is the bar's policy, or Colorado law? It's too bad though.)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Justin V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, June 24, 2015
Frequent Flyer 67! Thanks for the great review! Sorry that you cannot take the drink across the parking lot, the laws recently changed : (
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 14, 2014

These past 3 weeks I stayed in HI Express hotels in Page AZ, Cortez CO, Santa Fe NM and Flagstaff AZ and I noticed a lot of similarities. In every hotel the size of the room was generous, but there were no wardrobes. A 3-drawer cabinet is not nearly enough for your holiday luggage and you are forced to keep most of it in your suitcase.
In general everything in the room was in working order and well maintained. Sufficient wall plugs to charge your phones, tablets, cameras etc, all at the same time. The beds are very comfortable.
The breakfast facilities were similar in all hotels and the offered ranges were identical. A typical American obese breakfast with pancakes, syrup and jelly, eggs and fried sausages, donuts, glazed cinnamon buns, muffins, stale bread for toasting, cereals and concentrate juices diluted with too much water. More than you will find in the average motel, but nothing for me. I took the only sensible products I could find like skimmed milk, low fat yoghurt and fruit, and bought the rest in the supermarket.
As a platinum member I am entitled to an upgrade but it was not available.
This modern hotel is ideally located for trips to Mesa Verde and Durango and within walking distance from Koko’s, a very good and lovely restaurant.
The ‘high-speed’ internet is ok with off peak speeds of 300Kb down and 100Kb up. The continuous login procedure is annoying though.
The prices are in line with what is offered an I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Justin V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Empire07!! Oh man, you nailed it! I LOVE all the bad stuff!! What am I gonna do? I can eat those southwestern omelets like taco’s and I can eat A LOT of taco’s, lol! I am sorry we did not have an upgrade for you, we have so few suites they usually all go in advance with reservations. Thanks for the awesome review! Come back and see us again!
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a few days good location in town , a pub is located on the same property next door , the pool area has a nice outside patio . The rooms are very nice and yes they are updated not sure what the other reviewer was talking about ? Morning breakfast was great just like the standards of HIG. Front desk personnel could be more friendly never get a hello when you walk by the front desk just a strange look!

Stayed July 2014
Randykunath! Thanks for the Great Review! Were you here visiting Mesa Verde?? Koko’s is a great restaurant! I read your review and went directly up front to see what was up and no kidding, the clerk gave me a weird look, lol! I almost fell down laughing. I did corner our three new clerks and we talked about how important it is to acknowledge people and say good morning and what have you; they can get a bit cross-eyed when they first sign on here, there is a lot of work and they have to memorize a ton of stuff, however, we always need to take time to say hello and swap stories and actually get to know the awesome people who stay with us. Here’s looking at you randy!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cortez
Hampton Inn Mesa Verde / Cortez
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,665 reviews
Tomahawk Lodge
Tomahawk Lodge
#10 of 16 in Cortez

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez? Share your experiences!