Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
$66
EconoLodge
$85
$80
Best Western Turquoise Inn & Suites(Cortez)(Great Value!)
$121
$115
$66
Aneth Lodge(Cortez)
$65
Tomahawk Lodge(Cortez)(Great Value!)
$69
$71
All reviewsbunk bedsmesa verdekids suitehi expressseparate buildingpancake machinecinnamon rollsrestaurant next doorfront desk staffnice hoteldestination grillfour cornerscomfortable roomsthird floorfree breakfastpool and hot tubparking lot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Clean friendly hotel. Very helpful staff. The decor is lovely with engraved floor tiles. It is, however, the most expensive HIE we've stayed in. It's also within walking distance of restaurants. On the downside - for someone in a motorized wheelchair, the accessible room is very small and it is a challenge for the wheelchair to turn around. Additionally, there is only one handicapped parking space, which is unfortunate since all other parking spots are down a large hill.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

ScrappyTexan! Thank you for the awesome review and the kind words about our staff and our Hotel. If you are staying at our Hotel and there is no Handicapped parking left, please let the Front Desk know, they can OK parking under our Porte CoChere if you have your awesome blue sign in your vehicle. It can be tight in the rooms with a motorized chair, we are sorry about that and would love any suggestions you may have, our dimensions are compliant with all ADA requirements but I agree that it would be more comfortable if you had more room to motor around in there. Thank you again for the great review!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I just stayed in a $200 hot tub room for 6 days. They have warning signs about leaving your valuables unattended and warnings about answering the door. The window has a security thing on it that will only allow it to open a couple inches, seems like it is in a high crime area.

Sunday I have to email expense reports etc. but I had to drive around to find a wifi hot spot because the internet was down all day. There is another sign in the room that states you will not be charged for any part of your stay that is not satisfactory if it is not fixed, just report it to the front desk. I reported it to the front desk and they didn't make any effort to have it corrected refused to honor their pledge. They just suggested I go to Burger King and use their internet. I've been emailing the manager but he refuses to reply.

There was some kind of high pitched sqeal coming from the adjoining utility closet every evening for about 30 minutes so loud you couldn't watch TV. At 3 AM each morning someone constantly opened and closed the door to the stair well just outside my room, maybe that is when they clean the hallway. All in all the place is a dump over run by bike trash and you would probably do better at the Best Western up the street.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank David B
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

David B, don’t Shoot! Man, I really feel for you, I had a real “crap” trip once and I wanted to go to war over it and it STILL burns me to this day when I think about it. It truly sucks to know we were that kind of “Raw Deal” for you.

If you are ever unable to log onto the internet, let the Front Desk know. They can help you with the Username and ID as well as basic connectivity issues. If the Internet is actually down, it is the easiest thing in the world for us to fix. We have two full time and separate connections to the Internet. If one goes down, we just plug in the other so that No One has to wait for the Internet Providers (Qwest, Baja Broadband) to fix their issue. At most the Internet could be down for a few minutes so long as I know there is a problem. Always drop my name if you fear your issue is not being given the importance you feel it should be. We are ALL here to help.

I am really sorry if I am not able to get back to you as soon as you would like, I really do try to get in touch with people as fast as possible. I have relaxed my spam filter significantly this morning and believe no one’s email (not even Dr. Samuel Kokpe from Nigeria with a tantalizing offer for me to hold inheritance funds in amount of $32,000,000 for a modest handling fee of 10%) will get caught and deleted without my direct attention. I work 7-3 M-F and make appearances on the weekends, always answer my Cell phone when the “Kids” (Front Desk Clerks) call and check emails all weekend and check to make sure that no one needs help. My SuperAwesome Front Desk Manager, Melissa works a few weekdays and is here on the weekends all morning usually. I really hate that you felt ignored and abandoned, I really do; that is not how we roll at all.

We are looking into the “Squeal” you mentioned coming from the utility closet and we will fix the hell out of that as soon as we figure out what it is and what is causing it.

I am sorry about the door slamming. I think we would change a bunch of stuff if we could re-build this girl but for now, we have revisited the doors and the pressure hinges. We are required to have a certain amount so they will self-latch, one of the doors near your room had tweaked itself higher and was definitely shutting too hard. I will keep an eye on that turkey myself.

The Best Western is a good Motel and has good people working at it as most properties in town do. I have to admit, we are suckers for bike trash, in fact, my boss and the Owner are “reformed” bike trash, lol, hence the “Harley Parking Only” sign at our Lobby Entrance. Anymore these days, you tend to be referring to Doctors, Lawyers and Upper-Middle Class professionals when you refer to a “Biker”, not me though, I can’t afford a sweet machine like that.

David B, I am really sorry we, I, let you down. I hope we get you back someday so you can see what happened, although inexcusable and still very sucky, was not what always happens and that we do care, and we do try hard and we are available and want to help. Warmly, Justin.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel on a cross country road trip. The staff was very friendly and accommodating of our late check-in. The rooms were clean, recently updated, and comfortable. The decor is a sort of Navajo/Southwest theme. Not my style, but not terribly tasteless either. The biggest downside is you had to drive all the way through town to the other side to get to it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

WhiteEyebrows! LOVE the name! We are on the east side of Cortez, here are some basic driving directions; If you are coming from Durango, CO on Highway 160 we will be on the left side of the Highway almost immediately after the first Stoplight. If you are coming from Monticello, UT on Highway 491 you will need to take 160 East at the junction of Hwy 160 & Hwy 491. This can be tricky, there are several places to make the turn, I have added a photo of a map to the pictures on our Tripadvisor page. You will drive all the way through town and will find us on the Right side of the highway after the Super Wal-Mart and before the Gigantic Fake cow at the Purple Sage restaurant ( also on the right side of the Hwy ). If you are coming from the Four Corners national Monument or Shiprock, NM on Hwy’s 160 E / 491 N you will Continue on Hwy 160 E at the junction (just stay in the right lane and you will be ok) then continue through our lovely town and we are on the right ( it’s about 6 stop lights ) after the Super Wal-Mart and before that crazy giant Cow sculpture thing that you cannot miss if you are looking to the right, it’s ridiculous.
Thank you for paying more and staying with us! We want it to always be a good choice in Cortez! Come back soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

A favorite stop on our annual drive from Canada to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Clean, well maintained inside and out. Graceful native American-themed accents throughout, as well as authentic native jewellery and ceramics often available. Wonderful bar/grill - Kokos. Margaritas are so good, we've stopped trying to make them at home. Excellent food from a woman surprisingly named, Freedom. Everything BBQ'd outside. No deep fryer ! Uncommonly thoughtful menu includes: crispy quail, trout, and - yes - burgers. Also salads accented w/ local pine nuts, beans. Not to be missed. A rarity in the arid vastness of the Cortez landscape.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Matthew E! You rock! Koko’s is a GREAT place to eat. Its one of the few places in town where you see the employees of the restaurant coming in to eat there on their days off. I love the Anasazi Burger and my Fiance always gets the Kiva Chicken, too good! Freedom is a unique and incredibly talented individual with a lock on regional flavor. Did you know she can rock out quesadillas on the grill!?! They are crazy good too! I will walk this review over to her and her staff today, thanks for the time and the kind words, come back soon!!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Nice, clean, convenient hotel to Mesa Verde. Great breakfast available. Kids loved the family suite with the "fort" with their own bunks, tv, etc. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub, even though the pool was too cold and the hot tub not hot enough! But overall, and excellent experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Christy C! Great room tip! The third floor has the best views! Most rooms face either West (the Sleeping Ute) or East (the La Platas), and a few room face south (Mesa Verde) We cannot guarantee a view as things happen in the Hotel business that we have no or at least very little control over, however, if you request a view we will do our best to assign you the best remaining view! Not all views are the same and some people don’t like our best view. 312 is a Family Suite with a good view of Mesa Verde. Please don’t give up on us with the Pool temp and the Jacuzzi temp, I measured this morning and the pool was at exactly 80 and the Jacuzzi was at 104. Thanks again for the kind words and we hope to have you back soon!