“Not a bad place needs some upgrades.”
Review of Days Inn Cortez

Days Inn Cortez
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Windsor, Canada
“Not a bad place needs some upgrades.”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My Husband and I stayed here on our recent whirlwind tour of the United States. This Motel was adiquate but needs some work. We did not see any evidence of bed bugs. But an overall sprucing up would do wonders. Breakfast was good and the staff friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Platteville, Colorado
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My father, fiance, and I decided to take a trip down to Mesa Verde National Park this past week. We stayed at Days Inn in Cortez for one night on April 27th, 2012. At first glance the hotel was nothing special, but there was nothing apparently wrong with it. It looks like an older hotel, but it was clean and had free wi-fi. It had a rather odd set up in that the rooms were all bunched in together off of small alcoves, but it was a decent price and offered breakfast. However, I was awoken at 6 am by bugs crawling across my face and arm. I turned on the light and my worst fears were realized: bed bugs! I trapped one in a pill box, and took it down to present to the front desk clerk at check out. At first when I told them about the bugs I was told they could maybe give me $10 off the room rate. I really wasn't trying to haggle for a free room, more then call their attention to the fact of the infestation. After I found the bugs on me I got up and started reading reviews of the hotel and found one, on this site, that mentioned bed bugs back in October 2011. The review mentions the manaer brushing it off. I didn't want it to get brushed off again: so I kept the last bug I came into contact with. After live evidence they did give us a full refund on our room. HOWEVER, I came home to find a full charge on my credit card that we did not pay with. When I made the reservation directly with the hotel I asked them if they would charge my card any kind of holding fee, making it clear that I intended to actually pay for the room with a different card (as mine is a debit). They told me that nothing would be charged until check in, leading me to believe that since we would be checking in with my fiance's credit card, nothing would be charged on my debit. Now today there is a sudden charge that just popped up on my card. When I called to ask about this I was told that it is a "holding fee" that I will get back in aproximately 10-14 days. So in other words: they charged my card and my fiance's card BOTH when we checked in. They said it's to ensure "sufficient funds" on the card you actually intend to pay with. But I was never advised about this policy as I was standing there at the front desk, and never signed any paperwork stating that my card could be charged. Days Inn was the ONLY hotel during our entire trip to have this policy. I didn't get charged "sufficient funds holding fees" by any other hotel. I reserved the other rooms with my debit, and paid with a credit on arrival with no problems everywhere else. So between waking up to bed bugs, coming away with multiple bites, having to search through all my stuff to ensure I didn't bring any unwanted guests home, and now having to pay a $35 overdraft fee to my bank for the undisclosed Days Inn payment proceedure I will gladly NEVER stay at this hotel again. And really, it has turned me off from the entire Days Inn chain! I realize that bed bugs can travel anywhere to any hotel, and in fairness they did attempt to make it right by refunding us our money. But then with discretely charging both cards the full amount per policy, plus the other review of this hotel turning a blind eye to the other guests bed bug problems, and the way they would have reacted to our bed bug problems if I hadn't had living proof with me, it just all together turned me off!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa D

Travelers are raving about these Cortez hotels

Alpine, Wyoming
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed here because it was the cheapest place to stay around christmas. The rooms are small and old, and the "breakfast" was minimal. The staff was unfriendly and one of the employees almost ran our daughter over while speeding through the parking lot. I would only stay here if you are on a tight budget, otherwise the rhodeway inn was much nicer, and was just as convenient.

Room Tip: each group of 4 rooms shares a common door to the outside.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank wyomingbusdriverjj
singapore
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Cortez is located closer to Mesa Verde National Park. And if you are going for one of the earlier tours to the cliff dwellings, it's a good idea to stay in this area, rather than in Durango, as the drive in to the actual location for the tour can take quite long.

That being said, you may want to go with another motel rather than this Days Inn in Cortez.

The room is very small with an equally small bathroom. Both had a funky smell. There is no rack to put your luggage on. Keep your expectations low.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank worddict
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2012

It's location near Mesa Verde is perfect! The price was one of the best values we have had and the young lady on check in (on her fifth day on the job) was a delight. Friendly and helpful and just so nice she made us feel welcome.

We had a ground floor Queen bed room. The bed was very comfortable and clean (there is absolutely no bed bugs here) and the sheets positively crackled they were so clean. Good pillows too which is always nice. The bathroom is tiny but hey who spends time in there anyway but more importantly it too was clean. We had a good sized fridge, a microwave and coffee making pot. We had a luggage rack and also hanging space and a desk and a comfortable chair. So all in all an excellent room.

Breakfast was right up there with the best we have had. All the normal items (waffles, cereals, toast, bagels, oatmeal) but they also had boiled eggs, yoghurt and fresh fruit salad! We have never been offered that before so that was nice.

We got snowed in here for a day so had to extend our stay - no problem at all. Staff organised this immediately and looked up numbers for us to find out about the road conditions. Couldn't have been more helpful. Don't know why others have had problems here - this really is an excellent place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Willowray
Orem, Utah
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with our stay at the Days Inn in Cortez, Co. I have had some bad experiences at the Days Inn chain in the past. Although dated, our room was clean & comfortable. The complimentary breakfast the next morning was nice, waffles, cereals, fruits & breads. Nice location, close to Mesa Verde. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bhillut
breckenridge,co
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed here one night after touring Mesa Verde and on to the Grand Canyon. Very easy check in. Our room was upstairs, one queen with a frig. Clean, bed was comfortable. Morning breakfast was good and fresh, my husband enjoyed a fresh waffle. The Mexican restaurant in the adjacent parking lot was very good. Hotel was about half booked, very quiet. Would recommend as a stopover on a trip to the parks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple