Come to Kelly Place Retreat and Bed and Breakfast on the McElmo Creek, outside of Cortez, Colorado if you like
- a quiet serene setting amidst mountains, desert and Ancestral Pueblo ruins
- a warm, welcoming stay in comfortable surroundings
- savory breakfasts that include local specialties such as blue corn, and homemade cookies and juices out all the time.
- a pace that lets you restore yourselves
We visited in September of 2007 , and kept extending our reservation of three days until we had stayed a week, something we don’t usually do. Kelly Place is great for the National Parks experience at Mesa Verde, as well as solo hiking in thousands of acres of adjoining Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, or the many ruins on the 40 acres of Kelly Place. Or, as they say in their notebook, just relaxing at Kelly Place. There is a library of books on the area, including archaelogy, history, art, almost everything, and the library covers one wall of the living area. Jarene and Marc, the owners, are quick to tell you that they are 11 miles from Cortez, where the nearest restaurants are, but that didn’t pose a problem for us. They provide a refrigerator if you have food.
This unique experience still stands out among our travels. We could put aside thoughts of work, problems, and enjoy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between majestic Sleeping Ute Mountain and the sculpted red rocks of McElmo Canyon, Kelly Place B&B has been attracting visitors since 1980. Explore prehistoric sites, including pueblo ruins and a fully restored kiva on the self-guided tour of Kelly Place property. Hike from here into Canyons of the Ancients National Monument on our northern border through the natural beauty of pinon-juniper canyons to remote cliff-dwellings. Relax in our Spanish-style courtyard, gazing at the 10,000-foot mountain and watching brightly colored birds while sipping a glass of local McElmo Canyon wine or a frosty beer on tap from our local brewery. Experience our relaxed southwestern hospitality, fruit trees and scrumptious home-style breakfasts. The adobe-style lodge features a comfortable lounge area with music, library, computer, dvds and games. Lodge rooms, cabins, RV and tent sites are available. Cabins have cooking and grill facilities, some with fireplace and a jetted tub. Free wifi is available throughout. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Kelly Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.