“Best Barbacoa ever!”

Gustavo's Mexican Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #12 of 72 Restaurants in Cortez
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Definitely one of the best Mexican food meals I have ever had. Being from Phoenix and growing up in a multicultural family, I have had more than my share of really good Mexican food. Even in a southwestern city like Phoenix, finding an affordable Mexican food restaurant that serves tasty food is oddly hard to find. El Burro Pancho produces some of the best Mexican food I have ever tasted. If you are a Barbacoa fan, it's worth the 7- hour drive from Phoenix. It's simply that good.

1  Thank seanmwarren

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Passing through at lunch time and Evangelina's (I think that was the name) is no longer around. TA suggests EBP. Excellent green chile with potatoes added to a fine basic chili verde. Owner on site and very involved. Hope its still here the next time I come through.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Cortez in order to see Mesa Verde National Park, and found El Burro Pancho via Tripadvisor. I ordered one of the house specials, pollo crema, which came with poblano peppers, onions, chicken with an amazing creamy sauce, served with delicious rice and beans and tortillas. Unbelievable. My boyfriend had the flautas, which he promptly devoured. We both had the house margarita (the "mucho" size), and our bill was quite reasonable and oh-so-worth-it at $36. There was one server who was friendly and helpful, making sure to check on us, and our food was brought out quickly. The restaurant itself has a pleasant atmosphere, with nice colors and lighting. Not super fancy, but really cute! One of the nicest things to witness was the owner, who upon noticing the restaurant was getting busier, came out to help serve and clean tables. He came over to us as well and asked us how we liked our food, what brought us there, and was just delightful. My one regret was not being able to eat there again the next night as we were on a time crunch for our road trip. In fact, this food dominated our conversation for the next day and has made every meal since a disappointment. I hope this place is here for a long, long time.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Gustavo offers food that his chef's mother from Puebla Mexico has made for years and the authenticity is genuine. He also makes a great sangria wine and margarita, and has a good choice of Mexican and domestic beer.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you are new to Cortez I would highly recommend you give El Burro Pancho a try. They offer excellent Margaritas (various versions) and Mojitos to accompany an original menu of flavorful dishes. Flavor is what really sets this place apart from the competition. The food simply tastes better here compared to other Mexican choices in town. Give it a try and see if you don't agree.