“Bed Bugs And Black-lighted Human Proteins”

National 9 Inn Sand Canyon
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Bed Bugs And Black-lighted Human Proteins”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Dimly lit lot. Arrived late. When I was checking in my daughter told me a man was checking car doors, checked ours and our gas tank too. Manager inside was rude. We went to our room and my daughters black-light lit up protein/sperm in the sheets and on the floor. One bed had some black specks on the sheets when I uncovered the bed. With the Hotel.com operator on the phone I went over to the bed to describe them and the little flecks were not there anymore. BED BUGS had moved!!! My daughter then informed me that she had been bitten. (My ex-wife is still pissed!) With Hotel.com resolution lady still on the phone I went to the office and Hotel.com Lady asked the manager to cancel my reservations with NO penalty. Manager who called himself "Bob" told her yes and cancelation confirmation was faxed to him by Hotel.com Lady. With Hotel.com operator still on the speaker of my cell phone Bob then told me he was going to charge me a cancelation fee. He was rude and argumentative with her and with me and she finally insisted that I leave.
I feel cheated. I went to a hotel property (Recommended by a Cortez Police Officer) that I believed to be a good and safe property and it was Not. I treat all people with respect and I was disrespected and treated rudely by Bob. We had driven 14.5 hours and were tired, only wanting to go to bed and could not. Hotel.com found us (as did my ex-wife) a GREAT hotel just a few blocks away. And that is our new Cortez spot!
Cortez Mesa Verde Inn is where we stayed. A well loved motel that we Loved!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Hans P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Not the Hilton but I honestly have no complaints. It's inexpensive for a reason and you must understand this when staying. Yes it's old and outdated but as long as everything works and its clean and bug free I'm ok. I travel extensively and stay in motels/hotels 325 nights a year and I realize you get what you pay for and go on. I probably wouldn't bring the kids along but wife and I were ok with it. $39.99 plus tax for 2 people. TV was not a flat screen but larger than most box TVs and got 60 channels. Micro/fridge worked just fine. It was quite and peaceful at night so we slept fine.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank harryscards
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

When I went to check in the man at the front desk sat there and asked "what do you want?" I was put off by that but my boss made the reservations so i decided to stay. They say the WIFI is free but when I asked for the password the guy said it was an additional $20 for the 5 nights! They also advertise for a free fax machine, when I asked to use it he told me it was $1 per fax. when I have 6 pages, it adds up. Its a cheap hotel that tries to squeeze evey dime out of travelers for stupid things that they say are free. they also advertise for free continental breakfast. All they had was luke warm coffee. no cream no sugar. Next time i will spend the extra buck to stay elsewhere. this is a total dump. needs new paint, the shower had mold in it, the sink did not work half the time. 2 of the 4 light bulbs in the whole room were burnt out. the tv remote did not work. NOT WORTH THE HASSLE NOR THE MONEY EVEN AS CHEAP AS IT IS!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, rooms suck
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank peta5100

Travelers are raving about these Cortez hotels

Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and are halfway through a 2 month roadtrip and finally decided to try one of the really cheap, albeit lowly rated motels to see how they really stand up. We aren't picky and can't help but think the people writing some of these reviews must be.

The room is everything we could need, comfy bed, clean sheets, microwave, mini frig, cable tv(old tv but who cares, it works). Certainly has an old smell at first, but nothing nearly enough to bother either one of us. When you go to the cheapest place in town, I don't know what more you could ask for. It shows its age but who cares. Would I pay $25 to go stay at the super 8 or whatever, no. The slight upgrade in quality would not be worth it to me. If i came back, I'd stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dmphoto84
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

the owners obviously have no concern about customer service or cleanliness. the laundry/ice machine room was horribly filthy and rundown. one morning the office was not open at 7 a.m. for the scheduled continental breakfast- opened a half hour late. and only weak coffee was available- nothing else. the second morning there were some tiny packaged pastries from a dollar store but they were stale.
the carpet and bathroom floor were filthy. furniture was decrepit. the room desparately needed a deep cleaning.
it's on a noisy highway but the fan was able to drown out traffic noise.
there were some positives- the room had a fridge, microwave and 60 tv channels; surfaces were clean and the bed was comfortable enough. no bugs. and the internet rate was decent.

the property could be decent if only the owners cared about cleanliness and customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank whomever
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

The motel is located about 15 minutes drive from Mesa Verde. It has standard facilities in the room, including a microwave, and a pool outside, which we didn’t use. Breakfast in the form of cheap muffins was tasteless and the receptionist not very welcoming but I’d recommend it if you’re looking for something cheap.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fandorin
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I feel sorry for the owners of the National 9 Sand Canyon, in Cortez, Colorado. They seem to be terribly poor people trying to run an old, worn-out motel. Here's what happened:

I checked in, glad to spend less than fifty dollars on a room. The carpet was strewn with bits of trash, and the room was filled with flies as if it was cursed. Knowing what I know about how to fool flies, I shooed most of them out the door, reducing their number to a quietly buzzing pair. I thought about naming them and keeping them as pets, but was distracted by my need to set up my new computer. The troubles began.

Their network ID didn't work, so I went to the desk to ask if it was a misprint. The lady said it was, and I tried the new one. This ID was accepted, but then the network asked me for a username and password. I asked her if she could tell me what these were, so I could get on the Internet. She said there was a problem with my computer. I gently told her that it was the motel's network asking for a username and password, but she, poor lady, didn't know a network from a motorized tricycle. She kept telling me that since the pop-up window was on my computer's screen, my computer was obviously broken. This went on for a good long while, until I realized I would not get the Internet connection that I had paid for. So, I asked if I could get a refund. She said yes, as soon as she looked in the room to see if I'd done any damage.

Entering the room, she said, "look, the carpet is dirty. I cannot rent the room tonight, so you must pay ten dollars." I told her the carpet was like this when I came in, and I hadn't had time to get this many kinds of trash into every corner of the room, since I'd only been there 20 minutes. I pointed out that some duct tape over the gaping hole the air conditioner was resting in would keep flies out, but she kept repeating herself, grasping for the ten bucks. I figured it would be a bargain to pay her the ten bucks, if it would get me out of that godforsaken hellhole.

So, I got my $39 refund, and was nice about it--I didn't think much at all of the motel, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for this person who was getting bad service from her own staff, and who wasn't able to do basic tech support for the network her son set up (he was out of town). She looked like she'd had a long, hard, miserable life, and I feel conflicted about telling this story. But NOT telling you would lead you into the same trap: the unsanitary, no-Internet-havin' pit of misery that is the National 9 Sand Canyon, in Cortez, Colorado.

Room Tip: Try none of the rooms, and that will be a good one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo