“Great Atmosphere!”

Stonefish Sushi & More
Ranked #13 of 67 Restaurants in Cortez
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are located in the heart of old downtown Cortez four businesses west of the crosswalk at Market and Main on the north side of the street. The surrounding blocks are bustling with activity and fine restaurants. The Cortez Cultural Center is just behind our patio and our local public radio station is across the street. Our newspapers are in the same building. Our seafood arrives fresh from Seattle Seafood in Denver. Our greens are local in season and our menu is superb. Please join us for dinner or lunch. We're always glad to welcome you, your family, including children and bicycle parking is available near the front door. See you soon, Brandon and Mel
Cortez, Colorado
“Great Atmosphere!”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stonefish restaurant in Cortez, Co....great atmosphere, wonderful service and and lots of choices on the menu. I think you will love it!

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank 1952CJL

Minot, ND
“Who would have thought there would be sushi this good in Cortez?”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Had great luck at Stonefish! The food was great, and atmosphere was right there with it, as well as the drinks. Ended up staying and hanging out for a bit after our meal, very cool place.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank pshirek
Durango, Colorado
“Not to Be Missed in Cortez”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My friend and I had never eaten here, but she'd been told by a savvy local that Stonefish offers some of the best Japanese fare in southwest Colorado. When we arrived on a Friday night, we were told there'd be a 30-minute wait: an encouraging sign, that the place was so popular. We repaired to the brewery across the street to dip our beaks while waiting.

Half an hour later, we returned and were seated immediately. We shared a bowl of edamame (steamed, salted soybeans) and had separate orders of salmon sashimi and the Vegas roll, complemented by Asahi beer. Everything was delicious and we were very pleased. The service was prompt and the waiter friendly. Prices were reasonable (much cheaper than East by Southwest in Durango).

I would gladly give Stonefish five stars if it weren't so noisy (at least on a packed Friday night). We were able to converse above the surrounding din, but a quieter ambience would have made the dining experience more relaxing. The room is small, and there doesn't seem to be any effort to mitigate the hubbub with decorative fabrics or other sound-absorbing materials, to offset all the hard surfaces. Dining when it's not so crowded would be, for me, worth trying next time...and I'll definitely return.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Solitary_Sojourner
Cortez, Colorado
“Great, fresh food... even for a sushi avoiding person!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I never thought I would enjoy sushi. My experience prior to eating at Stonefish had largely consisted of trying those cheap Happy Hour California Rolls in Las Vegas, or slinking past the sushi on ice at the Asia Buffet. GROSS!

I got talked into going to Stonefish. I was skeptical but I decided to be brave. I ordered a non-fish roll and decided to give it a try. I was so surprised. It was delicious! Great, fresh ingredients.

I have since gone back several times and have even gotten a little more adventurous and tried some fish rolls. My favorite is still the vegan Farmer's Market roll but I also like the Philly and the Zetroc.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone in town. There are cooked options, like a citrus-glazed salmon and noodle bowls. The Bananas Foster is delicious too!

Strong pours on the drinks and reasonably priced wines. Bartender couldn't tell me anything about sushi wine pairings but I guess that's not enough of a problem to lower my rating.

If you go at Happy Hour, service is very quick. Great for an in-and-out situation.

Funky music playing and great decor.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank CortezReviewer
New York City, New York
“Incredible”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We would have never thought finding such an amazing sushi place in Cortez. Definitely a place to go if you like sushis!
We recommend some picks within The chef's special

Visited September 2013