“Quaint vintage motor lodge with nice make over & CLEAN!”
Review of Tomahawk Lodge

Tomahawk Lodge
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Colorado
“Quaint vintage motor lodge with nice make over & CLEAN!”
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Stayed here based on other reviews here on TA and was not disappointed. The rooms have been nicely redone and the hostess was welcoming and helpful. Few amenities but the room was spotless and the bed was great. It is right on the highway, which is convenient but you do get the traffic noise; that's why I travel with ear plugs for no worries. Had to make a U-turn to get into the parking lot, and the spaces were a tad small for my truck. Otherwise, glad I stayed and would return. Great value for $49 incl tax(AAA and mid-week, off-season.)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank BetsyFromPike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
British Columbia
Reviewed December 30, 2008

This seems like a fairly old motel, but it was clean and the owner was friendly. It is on a busy street so we could hear the traffic, but it didn't really bother us. It was 'no frills', but I wouldn't have expected more for the price we paid.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kermodebear
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I stayed in Cortez overnight with plans to visit nearby Mesa Verde the following day. This little motel looks like most any other along the highway of a small town. But the room was modern, clean, and very comfortable and I was surprised at the low price ($59 + tax at the time I booked). It would be difficult to find a better deal than this. I was a little bummed to see there wasn't a coffee maker in my room. But the owner makes wonderful-tasting, fresh coffee for guests every morning, you just walk to the office for it. The owner, a wonderful lady from Poland, is most gracious, helpful, and friendly. I absolutely will stay here again next time I need a room in this part of Colorado.

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — No coffee maker in room.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank crazeditalian
Seattle
Reviewed July 25, 2008

The last Fourth of July, I got it into my head to suddenly drive from Seattle to Four Corners over the long weekend. No planning, no reservations, no schedule - just me and the car and a lightly packed bag. It was a liberating experience, picking motels on the side of the road as we drove past on nothing more than "Hey - that looks like a cool place! Lets stay there!"

Which is how we wound up at the Tomahawk Motel - we were drawn in by the really cool 50's retro sensibility about the place.

Located on the main drag through Cortez, Colorado, on the south end of town, the Tomahawk Motel was probably the most old school of the motels in the whole trip. The sign was 50 kitsch, the motel room numbers were in the shape of a tomahawk, the rooms looked as if they were transplanted from the seventies - and the toilets even had that "Sanitized for your protection" paper wrapper on it. I haven’t seen that little touch in YEARS!

The motel was pretty centrally located, with a sit down restaurant pizza place within easy walking distance and a local drive-in about a minutes drive away. Despite that, and despite being on a highway through town, the motel was nice and quite (AC unit not withstanding - but then ALL the motels I stayed at had noisy AC). The staff - well, at least the one lady I interacted with (presumably the owner) was friendly and helpful and sported the most wonderful old world European accent.

The room itself was a pretty good size for the money - 70 dollars for a double (and that was before the AAA discount - that they threw on without asking to see my card) and clean. The only complaint might have been that the bathroom was kind of on the small side. The shower itself was on par with some of the phone-booth sized showers I've seen in Berlin and Prague.

Overall, I'd say the odds of me staying here again are small - but that's more due to the proximity of the motel to home. However, if I were in Cortez again, I would stay here without a moment's hesitation. Top marks all around.

• Liked — The throwback 50's retro feel about the motel
  • Disliked — The showers were on the small side
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Tardis-Geek
Skull Valley, Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2008

This is a small, quiet, and CLEAN hotel. Our AAA rate was about $55.00 per night. The rooms were recently remodeled. It has a small pool and free wi-fi. They serve fresh coffee and tea in the office. The owners were very accommodating with parking as we had trailers. We will definately stay there again next year.

• Liked — Clean place to stay on our way to the Alpine Loop.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank granny54