“Couldn't ask for more gracious owners”
Review of Tomahawk Lodge

Tomahawk Lodge
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Couldn't ask for more gracious owners”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The lady at the front desk was wonderful. She was so friendly and offered to make us a new pot of coffee if we would've liked. This motel definitely seems to fit in with the 50s era. The rooms were what you would expect for the price- very minimal and small. The ceilings were quite low, and the cable was basic. However, I think I would likely come back just because of the nice owners and because of the cleanliness of the rooms.
p.s. Although the amenities include a pool, it was closed even in early July.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We arrived here at midnight, and the husband and wife who own the Tomahawk were very nice about waiting up for us and checking us in. She is a real sweetheart.

The rooms are very basic (almost spartan-like), but we found them to be very clean and comfortable. The lodge itself seemed pretty safe, and I didn't see any sketchy characters loitering around, as I did on other parts of our trip.

What I liked most was the homey feel of the place and that it is locally owned. The owner is very nice and gives a real personal touch to her customer service. She said that if you stay here and need anything like a coffee pot or hair dryer, let her know when you check in and she'll do her best to accommodate your request.

Room Tip: Ask the owner when you book a room. She let my husband know that a room was noisy, so he chose somet...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jojobaggins
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was our third stay at the Tomahawk. Our group of bikers travels through Cortez a few times a year. We've stayed at the more upscale places at the north end of town and paid just over double the rate that we pay at the Tomahawk. This place is a bit dated, but not run down. The owner, Teresa, is very friendly and makes sure that your needs are met. It is in a quiet part of town and not far from the cluster of restaurants.

Bikers--this is a very biker-friendly place. This is a great place to launch a San Juan Skyway/Million Dollar Highway loop ride.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank K W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Clean, efficient, value for money, everything I would expect from a stay at a motel. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Running Springs, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We were on a Corvette run with 5 cars. Our preference is to go to 50's 60's style Motels where you park in front of your room. This place was clean and quiet, Owner managers were very nice. Not much for breakfast but given the price that is not a problem.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JimDodgen
kingman
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Shame on me for not writing about this place. We first stayed here years ago on our way to Ft Garland. What I liked is the managers....love them! They are so nice! This place is clean. We just stayed again June 4-7th and as always, Teresa is still friendly as ever. Unfortunately, the pool is closed down because apparently they have to make it handicapped friendly and that is going to cost them alot of money, but, it's sad that those of us who are not handicap can't use it. If they open it without the handicapped access, they will be fined. That is such a bummer. Otherwise the place is a good place to stop for an overnighter or a few days.

Room Tip: Bring hairdryer
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Manxmk
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. This hotel is privately owned and operated by a delightful Polish couple ( I only had contact with the wife). While making the reservation, I was asked if I was travelling with a pet. I replied no, my shih-tzu was left at home. When I checked in, I was asked about my shih-tzu! The owners have two huge, did I say huge?, I meant huuuuuge, great danes that are behind, and head level to the counter and perfectly behaved. What more could anyone want than a friendly welcome, animal friendly atmosphere, and a nice room?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family