“Yuck!!!”
Review of Cozy Inn

Cozy Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Reviewed June 28, 2013

It seems this propery is owned and run by a family. I was checked-in by the son and the father, both of them appeared neglected and dirty. Especially the boy's T-shirt caught my attention - I have never seen such a dirty T-shirt. It was as if a mechanic pulls out of under a car and then serves guests at front desk the next second.

Well, I figured, perhaps the rooms were better. Wrong assumption. I was assigned a ground level room in the older building. The room was just terrible, everything was decades old, run down, worn out, there were switches missing, the deadbolt was missing, it did not seem clean, there were stains of drinks on the bedside table ... Then came the worst discovery. The beds didn't look like they were freshly made, the cover was just kind of pulled over. So I opened the bed and you could tell the sheets have not been changed. There was even a used handkerchief in the bed!

I decided I was not staying here. Went back to the front desk and this time the lady was on duty. Told her about the unchanged sheets and the handkerchief, she wasn't even surprised or didn't even deny it. She started pulling out some notebooks, telling me she "needs to find out which girl didn't do her job ...". My job at this property was done. Returned the room keys and left.

Do yourself a favour, spent a few more bucks and stay someplace else in Cortez. There lots of better options.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Slo-Lju

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I can't speak to the price as we are on Ride the Rockies and have package deal for lodging. I would definitely stay here again! AC was wonderful as was the shower and our 2 queen beds, fridge and microwave! On site laundry was a bonus too!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Its not the Ritz, or the four seasons, but it doesn't claim to be. Its an older building, and rooms are dated, but they are clean, quiet, and if you are going to Mesa Verde you are not going there for the hotel room anyway. One of the best values in town, and not sure there are better rooms in "Cortez" anyway. Cortez is a desitination for Mesa Verde, but otherwise, is a stop for travellers. Most if not all the hotel rooms cater to that (Mesa Verde visitors/Travellers who need to stop for night). The other thing that I loved, was I was able to park right next to the door of my room. I was there for almost 2 weeks and had many things that were heavy and akward---but could not be left in the car. There was a dog show in town, and so there were also many dogs, and I heard a few barks, it was still very quiet. Be being able to park by the door, and the outside right out the door (vs a hallway or big parkway, pool, or landscaping,) it is great for things like dog show people, workers who have equipment, or people who have disabilities and cannot maneuver stairs or long walks.

As I say, its not a 5 star hotel, but its doesn't try to be. IT does very well at what it is, a nice clean, safe, and quiet facility--with great prices.

If you want this, clean, safe, quiet, and reasonable price--that accepts dogs, workers, and also---has fridge and microwave in each room, then this is your place.

Its well worth the price, and YES, highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is an older part and a newer part (still old) but its in back). The pool is by the older part...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank itsdryheat
Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you want a cheap hotel and a simple place to lay your head, this may do, except the beds were terrible. You could feel the springs in the mattress, the room was dirty and smokey. Don't think about showing up late. You will get a very angry innkeeper, who will yell at you if you ring the bell more than once. I'd say you get what you pay for, but I'd be lying. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at this motel based upon the price and the reviews from others on TripAdvisor. For an inexpensive motel, I was very happy. Owned and operated by a nice and helpful couple who bought the motel in Sept 2012. There are 40+ rooms and the newer ones in the back building are large and comfortable. The room was very clean, the bed comfortable. The towels are new and better than most budget motels. This is a simple budget motel and it is not fancy, but run attentively by the owner operators. Good coffee in the morning at the complimentary breakfast. Frig, microwave and coffee pot in room. Free Wifi also. I would stay here again

I was traveling through to see Mesa Verde. Good location, near the better restaurant in town, TheDry Dock, which the owners recommended. Had a good meal there also.

Room Tip: i like the back two story building, its away from the street. Large rooms with two queen beds. Thi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here for one night on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S. After driving from Williams, AZ around the South rim of the Grand Canyon and down Hwy.160 through the "Four Corners" I was dog tired and in serious need of some rest. I had tried to find a place earlier in Kayenta but all hotels were booked solid so I booked Knights Inn from there thinking it was only a little bit further down the road and found out it was a wee bit further than I thought! By the time I pulled in the parking lot 3 1/2 hrs. later I was so happy to see their sign I would have slept on a picnic table outside. The owner at the front desk had just recently bought the place and he couldn't have been more helpful...let me tell you when you've been on the road that long it sure is nice to see a friendly face that makes you feel welcome! My room was on the second floor overlooking the parking spot where I pulled my car in. Room was clean and that bed felt so comfortable I think I was out in 15 min. Breakfast the next morning was the standard continental to get you back on the road so I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is not a new motel but has been kept up and appeared fairly new inside. We were told that ownership has changed recently. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful but the credit card machine was broken when we tried to check in. We went to eat and it was fixed when we returned. The beds were good, the room was quiet, the room was not crowded, and there were three pillows per person. We decided to go elsewhere for breakfast because there appeared to be only one table. It's possible they had additional space but we didn't see it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple