“Disappointed in Customer Service”
Review of Alpine Inn

Alpine Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked 2 nights and found the staff to be friendly, but the owner was having problems getting the Qwapah bathhouse to honor his commitment to customers for free bath privileges. Also, the bathhouse was not open all the way and the whirlpool was closed. The owner promised to book us something wonderful for the next day.

The room was clean and we liked it. That said, I was called that evening that I had to return to Dallas for a work emergency (court-related I couldn't get out of) the next day, so I immediately contacted the owners and told them the situation. Since we had paid for 2 nights but had only been there a short time, I was assured we could have this resolved in the morning. In the morning, we were met by the owner, Erik, who told us that this is a holiday weekend and they could not return my money for the next night's stay because they were unsure if they could sell the room. I said, ok, well, if you do, we should be reimbursed for one night. The owner was reluctanct to do that, said they are in the hotel business, and that we were lucky they were offering us a credit to stay another night in the future. The problem with this is I am unsure if we will ever get to Hot Springs again. I told the owner I would contact him to see if he sold the room so I could get reimbursed. Via email the next day, i asked if the room was sold and if i could be reimbursed, since we had not used the room, vacated in plenty of time (10a ) for the room to be rented, and we were unable to use the promised free spa services. The email I received from Erik told me that they had to recoup losses from a storm in December and they could not reimburse me. He never answered if the room was re-booked, so I guess it must have been and they needed my money to pay for something unrelated to me.

I chose this place because of the great reviews. I thought the thing that set this place apart was the excellent customer service provided. Things happen, I had to leave for an emergency. The owner's response was I should seek reimbursement from my employer, not the hotel - who had my money for the extra night. Going the extra mile when it didn't affect the hotel in any way was what I expected, but instead we got excuses.

Our experience was not stellar. In fact, it was very disappointing. We have many friends who travel and we will let them know that this experience was definitely something to miss.

Eric W, Owner at Alpine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

This reviewer booked a two night stay in a king suite on a holiday weekend. We have a cancellation policy that is relatively lenient for Inn’s and B&B’s. This policy is communicated verbally at time of reservation and on subsequent email confirmation.

While we sympathize with the reviewer being called back to work prematurely we did not think that we should solely be responsible the resultant financial loss and that being called back to work was a risk that the reviewer should at least share.

We did explain that we waived cancellation policy during the recent snow storm. This was used in the context of explaining our empathy with certain weather situations and the cancellation policy. The reviewer has presented this in a somewhat different context.

As a compromise we offered to try resell the room for the reviewer and if not, offer a one night credit. Since we were not able to sell the suite we emailed the reviewer offering the credit. We did say that we thought this offer would compare favorably with what would be offered industry wide. It is the reviewer’s choice to label this as “you are lucky to be getting this” At no time would we ever use this derogatory language when communicating with our guests.

With regard to the Quapaw Bathhouse offer, the management at the Quapaw worked hard and took a financial hit to ensure all our guests with the bathhouse package still got a thermal spring water bath by using private bathing tub slots for us. Per the reviewers request for an early Sunday afternoon visit, we had scheduled a 1pm slot in the private tub and had to cancel this on the Sunday morning.

We did suggest in our subsequent email to the reviewer that there are other ways to mitigate the financial risk of a work related cancellation. It is the reviewer’s choice to label these as ‘excuses’ from us.

So, considering that the reviewer liked the accommodation, the issue is in the perception of what constitutes customer service. Walking away with disregard and no financial impact from a contract with us and the Bathhouse would appear to be what the reviewer regards as provision of excellent customer service. In this case we were not able to meet these somewhat exceptional expectations.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just back from a wonderful 4 day trip to Hot Springs, wonderful food, great horse racing and a day at the spa. None of this would have been possible were it not for Eric and Leslie at the Alpine Inn. Our thanks to both and to Tammy who helps them with the housekeeping and overall warmth of the place. If you are looking to step away from the big box hotel/motels and back in time to a place where people care about you and your needs this is the place.

1  Thank Jon M
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel for the second time with my wife. If you are coming to Hot Springs, this is definitely the place you want to stay. The hotel is owned by a Scottish couple who are very concerned about making sure the guests are happy. The rooms are also extremely clean. They are small, but they have all the space you would need and are very comfortable. And you can't beat the prices. The location is a huge positive also. Right down the road from all the famous bathhouses and the horse track. I am sure that we will be staying here many more times!

1  Thank ebirdyca
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed a week in the bulls and bears room and it felt like home. The inn keepers are so friendly and helpful. They gave local information about Hot Springs and gave us passes to the Qwapaw Bath house which was a nice touch to be able to experience the thermal waters. Over all very cozy and relaxing. Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David D
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Alpine Inn for 2 nights. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The owners were very friendly and gave us a lot information about the area. The value for the money is really great. We got 2 tickets for the Quapaw Bathhouse included! We will stay here again if we ever come back to Hot Springs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Masa S
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Alpine Inn on 11/30 thru 12/01. Hot Springs was the destination to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I decided on the Inn due to the wonderful reviews on line. I was not disappointed. Stayed in the Rose room which was cozy and comfortable. Very quiet, clean and affordable. The owners are awesome, helpful and friendly. Would never receive the personal touches afforded by Alpine Inn owners at your regular chain hotels. Will definetely stay here on our next trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wfouse
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Alpine Inn. Room was very clean and comfortable, location is handy owners are helpfull. A good value was to get passes to bathe at the Quapaw bath house along with our stay. We will stay here again if ever back in Hot Springs.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family